NCAA Football 2012-13 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing the same tired arguments, but the bottom line is that both Boise and TCU answered every challenge and kicked butt when pitted against your so-called power conferences on which the sos is based. The SEC teams get extra sos points for playing Georgia (2010 - L 27-29 against 5-7 Colorado, 2011. ranked 19th, SEC East champs - L 21-35 against Boise). The real travesty was in 2009 when Boise and TCU were both undefeated and they pitted them against each other in a bowl game to save face against the "power" conferences, especially the ACC and Big East, either of which Boise or TCU would have demolished that year and would have more than held their own against anyone in the SEC, Big 12 or Big 10. By the way, that 2009 Boise-TCU matchup was by far the best bowl game that year both in competitiveness and execution. TCU finally got their chance in a major bowl against a Wisconsin team that was playing as well as anyone in the country and took them down.

Boise plays in a conference with small schools which obviously cannot compete financially with the major conferences, but aren't all pushovers either. They didn't have a chance to get into one of the bigger conferences because of the almighty dollar again. They aren't in a large TV market so they are not as attractive as teams that are, it's that simple. Most schools join a conference, not just for football but to enhance their other sports and to facilitate scheduling and for financial reasons, otherwise, Boise may have gone independent.

Those of you that disdain Boise forget that money is what is dictating the BCS consideration, not the quality of the teams.

That does not change the fact Boise plays 1 Big game. Thats it. And yes the rest of that league are push overs. Hell they would be ranked below SEC bottom feeders Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Ole miss....

When you only have to play 1 big game a year, that means you only have to do your best once.

Now this year will be a real test for them. They will be without the great QB play of Kellen Moore. Like Florida with Tebow, Texas with Colt, etc. These big players dont come around often and when you lose them its really hard to rebuild. Of course Boise gets to rebuild in a very weak conference with schools that would be considered the "jobbers" in wrestling.. Where as a team like FLA has to do it and still play LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina, GA, etc

The Insider said:
When you only have to play 1 big game a year, that means you only have to do your best once.

That's a crock!

Boise St. knows that for them to get the slimmest chance at a NCG or a big money BCS bowl, they cannot afford to slip up because the big name schools have that automatic excuse..."we play in super tough conference". If anything, BSU must bring their "A" game every game. Hell, they can't afford to win ugly and every game they win MUST overwhelm the voters.

Perfect example of this built-in excuse was LSU vs. Alabama for the NCG.

Funny that all the big colleges have had their chances to schedule teams like TCU and Boise St. ...but no one wants to do it unless they play at home and few will grant a home-n-home series with them.

Boise St. has been prominent for 4 or 5 years now so there have been plenty of time to schedule it.

Yes, they have to bring their "A" game, but against one, MAYBE two big name teams. The rest of their best must be absorbed by the likes of Miami (OH), New Mexico, Wyoming, San Diego State, Colorado State, ect. There is no way you can tell me that that measures up to playing a big OOC game agains Michigan, then playing an in conference schedule against LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, T A&M, Missouri, Tennessee. Or one like LSU just in conference against Florida, Bama, S carolina, Arky, and Auburn. Or any combo that many SEC (or big name conferences play).

His assertion was correct. Boise at best has to "get up" for one or two (at best) games a season where they have a reasonable chance to be beat. The others have many, MANY more.

There is no comparison.

Not to say that they have not been able to compete in those games in the past, they have proven that. I just do not see how the schedule would put them in over a one loss team out of one of those power conferences. They do not have the road to go down to make it so.

To be honest, when I look at Georgia this year, their schedule is a joke. East opponents incude Vandy, Tenn, Kentucky, Fla, Missori, and USC. The first 3 are a joke, even the most hardcore SEC fan can't deny that. Fla is down, Missouri isn't exactly SEC. So that leave USC as the only hard game. Plus they draw Auburn and Ole Miss from the West. Ole Miss is pretty much the Vandy of the West. Auburn is also down. Their OOC schedule is laughable.

Re: NCAA Football 2012-13

No doubt, Georgia has an easy schedule as sec teams go.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GA has a very easy schedule. Probably the easiest schedule in the SEC this year.. Easily the easiest schedule to win the East. But ironically enough still tougher than Boise States schedule.

msmith198025 said:
Yes, they have to bring their "A" game, but against one, MAYBE two big name teams. The rest of their best must be absorbed by the likes of Miami (OH), New Mexico, Wyoming, San Diego State, Colorado State, ect. There is no way you can tell me that that measures up to playing a big OOC game agains Michigan, then playing an in conference schedule against LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, T A&M, Missouri, Tennessee. Or one like LSU just in conference against Florida, Bama, S carolina, Arky, and Auburn. Or any combo that many SEC (or big name conferences play).

His assertion was correct. Boise at best has to "get up" for one or two (at best) games a season where they have a reasonable chance to be beat. The others have many, MANY more.

There is no comparison.

Not to say that they have not been able to compete in those games in the past, they have proven that. I just do not see how the schedule would put them in over a one loss team out of one of those power conferences. They do not have the road to go down to make it so.

LMAO! There never was a comparison and the simple fact that you started name dropping proved my point. Those teams can lose one game and still have the argument/excuse of their SOS if a team like BSU or TCU goes undefeated. In many cases down playing what it takes to go undefeated even if it ain't in a power conference. Therefore because BSU or TCU have to be beyond perfect...they have to bring their "A" game to EVERY GAME because of the SOS argument...so because of that, the notion that they can "take it easy" when they play conference games is complete BS.

What if the BCS as used in Basketball? Would Kentucky be able to play for a title? Afterall, they play in the SEC, which is beyond pathetic in Basketball.

msmith198025 said:
Laugh if you want, but you might also want to go back and read the thread.

You try going back..and read what I posted...because there is nothing there comparing schedule nor conference. I am disputing the fact that they had to bring their "A" game EVERY night and not take a break like some would assume because IF they lost one, they would have no chance of a BCS bowl game, much less a NCG. While any of the big name schools CAN lose one and 'let on slip away' because they CAN rely on SOS.

didnt the SEC have like half the elite 8 teams? Must be the Media Biased....
Yes, but we're talking about conferenced top to bottom, and the SEC basketball has a lot of bottom feeders. Sorta like some of the other Football conferences we're talking about.

Which reminds me, we'll need to rename this thread to Pre-Season and create a new thread to deal with the actual season, that way people don't have to wade through months of chest beating. Same as we do every year :p

I'm curious about one thing. Do you SEC fans ever watch any football outside of your conference? Seriously.
Of course, I live in Big10 country after all. I'll admit it's hard to watch Ohio State or Michigan play someone like Toledo, but I enjoy watching them play each other, or other higher ranked teams. I also stay up late to watch USC or Oregon quite often, if just to see why all the ESPN hype. And the wife went to the University of Colorado, so I always watch them (if I stay awake) to keep things peaceful in the marriage and justify staying home to watch LSU every week. ;)

Last edited:
Which reminds me, we'll need to rename this thread to Pre-Season and create a new thread to deal with the actual season, that way people don't have to wade through months of chest beating. Same as we do every year :p

I'll start it before I start tailgating Thursday. Agree? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts