need guidence installing Second Reciver ,

skip.c

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
SW Fl
Hi

I am trying to install a second receiver /DVR for a customer of mine

I don't do satellite work we are in the low voltage business but I assumed that just installing a splitter and a second Coax run would get it done

In researching here (great site BTW ) and other places it looks like I need to have a second cable to the dish

is this correct ?

is there anyway to avoid this , the dish is on the roof and I will have to rent a extension ladder to get up there and I would prefer to avoid it

If I have to go to the dish I would be looking for a second LNB with a coax connector

is that correct ?

there is one coax cable just dangling in the equipment room , I'm wondering if that is already hooked up the second LNB

If I where to hook this cable up to the new receiver hos could I tell if it has a signal

thanks for any and all help

Depending on the LNB in use, you may and should be able to install a 2nd receiver directly off of it. I wouldn't use a splitter though.

You need a second cable to the dish. Hook up the receiver to the dangling coax and go to menu, system setup, installation, point dish, and see if you get a signal.

Hi

I am trying to install a second receiver /DVR for a customer of mine

I don't do satellite work we are in the low voltage business but I assumed that just installing a splitter and a second Coax run would get it done

In researching here (great site BTW ) and other places it looks like I need to have a second cable to the dish

is this correct ?

is there anyway to avoid this , the dish is on the roof and I will have to rent a extension ladder to get up there and I would prefer to avoid it

If I have to go to the dish I would be looking for a second LNB with a coax connector

is that correct ?

there is one coax cable just dangling in the equipment room , I'm wondering if that is already hooked up the second LNB

If I where to hook this cable up to the new receiver hos could I tell if it has a signal

thanks for any and all help

You need to give us more info. what dish do you have. If it is a dish 500 you need to run another line from the dish. You can not put a splitter on the coax from the dish for a second receiver.

I ave no Idea what the dish is

It's a working install and customer asked me to add a second receiver and TV

So I assumed i could just split it like Cable TV (I found out that wouldn't work )

I did go into setup on the existing , working receiver and tried to set the new one up with the same receiver

I don't recall it being a "500" but I cant recall exactly what it was

Like I mentioned this is somewhere on the roof of a Convince store (I cant see it from the ground )

the only access to the roof is to high for my 8' stepladder so it looks like I'm going to have to rent a extension ladder

Ill swing by tomorrow and check the dangling cable and hope I get lucky

Depending on the LNB in use, you may and should be able to install a 2nd receiver directly off of it. I wouldn't use a splitter though.
what would I use instead of a splitter ?

You don't use anything else like a splitter. If you can't go directly from the LNB then look in to getting an LNB that will allow it.

You should be able to go directly from the lnb, although the info given is not sufficient enough to guarantee an answer. Bottom line... no quick answers here. We need more info.

Well it looks like there is no choice but to get up on the roof then and see whats there

Thanks for the help guys

I will probably be back once I see whats there

OK Ive been up on the roof , I cant see any markings on the dish

there is a Siamese cable coming to a block with two f connectors

the current cable is connected to one so I assume I just need to come off the other and then I'm good to go ?

I'm going back this afternoon and I will shoot some pictures of the dish for ID help if needed

OK Ive been up on the roof , I cant see any markings on the dish
That's surprising. How about the LNB? (That's the thing pointing at the dish.)
there is a Siamese cable coming to a block with two f connectors
That would be the grounding block. I hope there is a hefty wire going to a ground rod for lightning protection.
the current cable is connected to one so I assume I just need to come off the other and then I'm good to go ?
Probably the answer is "yes", but without taking the LNB off and examining the other end of that "Siamese cable", one never knows for sure.

Its working ,All is well !!

the LNB

Eagle triple feed Multi satellite LNB
18x20 dish DTvp3
lmal 4 outputs

so assume 4 outputs mean I could add two more receivers ?

good point on the ground down here in the "lightning capital of the US "
It was light ga puny wire and I didn't follow it to see where it went

its a strange , install

every RG6 in the place is spliced with a barrel connector somewhere and Ive had connectors just fall of the end of the cables as you touch them

I'm working to clean it up as I go

18x20 dish DTvp3
Aha. That's a DirectTV Phase3 satellite dish and integrated switch. Yes, it can feed 4 receivers, but I think you must be adding DirectTV receivers and not Dish Network receivers. If so, then this whole thread is misplaced and should be in the DirectTV part of the forum.

Glad I could help even though I don't know squat about DirectTV gear!

your correct it is direct TV :rolleyes:

( I Evan looked at the instruction book before posting the question )

looks like the basics are the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)