Need help on New iPhone and Case

Disagree entirely. Apple Care + includes the ability the replace the device if you break it. It is a damage replacement plan. And it is worth it for that alone. Is it expensive? Yes. But cheaper than the plans that Verizon and Best Buy offers by far.

And as that article points out:

"Except for AppleCare+ for iPhone, AppleCare does not cover any damage due to “accidents.” So if you damage your iPad by dropping it or spilling water on it, you’re not covered even with AppleCare. You also aren’t covered for loss or theft under any circumstances."

It also covers a depleted battery.

AppleCare+ is well worth it to me, and by having it, I don't worry about a huge case, or a screen protector.
The point being cost vs benefit averages. Studies on just about every type of warranty leads to the same conclusion. On the average people pay way more for warranties than the warranties pays back to them to fix or replace something. Most people will never come close to recouping the cost. Of course there are those rare cases, but the chance of any one individual needing to use the warranty to pay for something that cost more than the total cost they paid for the warranty is very slim.

Bad batteries tend to go out during the first year, which is covered by the manufacturer. The chance of it going out after that is very slim.

Essentially, as with any insurance, AppleCare is a gamble. You don’t decide whether or not a gamble is worth it based on anecdotes of prior outcomes. Instead, you try to predict the expected value of the purchase. To do this for AppleCare, you need to consider the cost of the warranty, the cost of an otherwise un-covered repair, and the likelihood that you will need such a repair.

<snip>

Essentially, as with any insurance, AppleCare is a gamble. You don’t decide whether or not a gamble is worth it based on anecdotes of prior outcomes. Instead, you try to predict the expected value of the purchase. To do this for AppleCare, you need to consider the cost of the warranty, the cost of an otherwise un-covered repair, and the likelihood that you will need such a repair.

<snip>

According to what I’ve been told [Update: and as confirmed on an Apple webpage], Apple will replace any damaged out-of-warranty iPhone with a refurbished model for a flat fee of $200. To get a replacement under AppleCare+, it will cost you $148 ($99 for the warranty + $49 service fee). In other words, AppleCare+ will save you only $52 — compared to getting an non-covered replacement phone. In addition, in order to have a chance at this $52 saving, you need to outlay $100 on an extended warranty that you will most likely never need. In the end, you are more likely to lose $100 than save $52. To me, this makes AppleCare+ a sucker’s bet. I’d rather take my chances and pay the $52 if I lose.

When I purchase electronics for myself I never buy an extended warranty. When I purchase electronics as a gift for others I always include the warranty because I do not want the person to be responsible for any additional cost for something they never purchased, even though the cost for repair will more than likely be much less than what I paid into the warranty.

When others purchase electronics for me, I insist they do not purchase the warranty because I do not want them wasting money on something that will more than likely never be recuperated.

Rocky, can I ask you this if you do not mind answering? How much have you paid in total for AppleCare over the years and how much has AppleCare saved you?

There is a value to peace of mind, knowing that if I crack the screen on my iPhone, it will get replaced, no questions asked. I think blanket statements that all extended warranties are a waste is simply that, a blanket statement. I just added Apple Care + to my iPhone 5, and am pleased with the purchase.

There is a value to peace of mind, knowing that if I crack the screen on my iPhone, it will get replaced, no questions asked. I think blanket statements that all extended warranties are a waste is simply that, a blanket statement. I just added Apple Care + to my iPhone 5, and am pleased with the purchase.
There is a lot to be said for piece of mind. If people feel that the cost is worth it to them, it is their money to do so as they choose. I am glad that the purchase makes you happier knowing your investment has extra protection.

I am going to assume that by your response however, you have spent more than you got back? Correct me if I am wrong. I think that is the point of these studies. They are not so much a blanket statement, but a conclusion based on statistics.

It is very rare that the screen will crack. Heck, my phone has been thrown off my bike twice, dropped countless times (I have never had a screen protector and I use a cheep $0.99 thin rubber cover mostly so it is not so slippery in my hands), and still does not have a single scratch or crack on the screen. With the glass they use, it is pretty durable. It takes a lot to break it. Most breaks occur when people put it in their back pocket and sit on it. Even then, the replacement cost for most people is less than what they paid for the warranty as most breaks occur after 2 years.

$200 for Apple to replace the glass and much less to do it yourself

AppleCare+ is $100 + $50 = $150. You will save $50 within the two years and pay more than you need after two years. I rather pay the $50 difference knowing that the chance of my screen breaking is close to 0. If the phone is really old, which I tend to keep mine for years. I'll take the chance and do it myself for a total of about $20.

I smashed my 3G screen. Fix was NQR. I got the 3GS and put it in an Otterbox Defender. No regrets. I see the durability of the iPhone 5 and I really wonder about the case being massive overkill. But I won't have to worry about it. And I'll have extra coverage with +.

Yep, cost wise it's cheaper for most people to forego AppleCare in any incarnation. But repairs are not what you're buying. You're also buying, as stated, peace of mind. And knowing any repairs will be by Apple, not some second tier guy who will be cheaper and tempt you in. We've gone thru a lot of cell phones where I work. And repairs were NEVER satisfactory. Long ago, we stopped trying. I just keep a few spares on hand and swap out the SIM.

FWIW, AppleCare is the ONLY extended warranty I buy. AT&T's extended warranty for cells require you to mail them off for repair/replacement. Now THERE'S a worthless warranty.

Well, I must correct myself. We have all our appliances from Sears. We weren't going to buy any extended warranties. But an in-warranty repair became necessary. The repair guy told us that basically, we bought a stove with known expensive to fix problems that was quickly discontinued. He was an old style, very folksy kinda guy and we trusted him. Then discovered that covering all the appliances costs little more than one. And we've come out WAY ahead, on the stove, on the dishwasher and even on a washer that they cut corners on and lost a lawsuit over. Lawyers got something. I sure didn't.

I smashed my 3G screen. Fix was NQR. I got the 3GS and put it in an Otterbox Defender. No regrets. I see the durability of the iPhone 5 and I really wonder about the case being massive overkill. But I won't have to worry about it. And I'll have extra coverage with +.

Yep, cost wise it's cheaper for most people to forego AppleCare in any incarnation. But repairs are not what you're buying. You're also buying, as stated, peace of mind. And knowing any repairs will be by Apple, not some second tier guy who will be cheaper and tempt you in. We've gone thru a lot of cell phones where I work. And repairs were NEVER satisfactory. Long ago, we stopped trying. I just keep a few spares on hand and swap out the SIM.

FWIW, AppleCare is the ONLY extended warranty I buy. AT&T's extended warranty for cells require you to mail them off for repair/replacement. Now THERE'S a worthless warranty.

Well, I must correct myself. We have all our appliances from Sears. We weren't going to buy any extended warranties. But an in-warranty repair became necessary. The repair guy told us that basically, we bought a stove with known expensive to fix problems that was quickly discontinued. He was an old style, very folksy kinda guy and we trusted him. Then discovered that covering all the appliances costs little more than one. And we've come out WAY ahead, on the stove, on the dishwasher and even on a washer that they cut corners on and lost a lawsuit over. Lawyers got something. I sure didn't.

Exactly. Apple Care is the only extended warranty I buy. I am pleased with it. Have I needed it on the 4S I had for a year? No. But that phone is now my 15 year old kid's. And he has beat the crap out of phones I fully expect I'll be saving money with it. And the $200 broken screen replacement assumed he doesn't do something stupid, like drop it in a pond (as he did with my OG Droid).

If I had kids I probably would warranty their phones. The risk to cost ratio probably sways more towards risk with that demographic.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

When the phone comes, weigh the otter box and then weigh the phone, From looking at them in the AT&T store yesterday it sure looked like it was as heavy as the phone. Mostly curious.
Will do. Might go weigh case now on scale at work.

I realized I have a better scale at home than at work, the one I use for baking.

The OtterBox Defender case for the iPhone 5 with belt clip weighs 114 grams. The case alone weighs 64 grams.

The iPhone 5's published weight is 112 grams.

My 3GS in an OtterBox Defender case weighs 194 grams. I carry the whole lot in a belt case, bringing the total to 259 grams.

I realized I have a better scale at home than at work, the one I use for baking.

The OtterBox Defender case for the iPhone 5 with belt clip weighs 114 grams. The case alone weighs 64 grams.

The iPhone 5's published weight is 112 grams.

My 3GS in an OtterBox Defender case weighs 194 grams. I carry the whole lot in a belt case, bringing the total to 259 grams.

Thanks. So I was right, It literally doubles the weight.

AppleCare+ came through last November when my wife dropped her 4S on her grandparents patio. She had it since release and was close to the 30 day window to buy AppleCare. I phone call later we had her replacement being shipped out. :). I did the replacement on the same phone call as I did with adding it. No questions asked.

Just to beat it to death, I weighed my 64GB iPhone 5 tonight. 114 grams. In an OtterBox Defender case, not counting clip: 177. And clip: 228.

Just to beat it to death, I weighed my 64GB iPhone 5 tonight. 114 grams. In an OtterBox Defender case, not counting clip: 177. And clip: 228.

It protects it, but man, it takes away all of the notions of "lightness" in it. My kid got a defender for his (my old) 4S. Its amazing to me how big it is. But he loves it. It screams "cool" to the 15 year old crowd.

I have a super-light rubberized case on my 5, and am happy. But given the nature of my work, that is ok!

I'm not fully trusting that clip on yet. But I figure if it fails, the Defender will likely protect it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)