Need help with really long cable run and install for Dish

skibama

Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Hi guys, I hope this is the correct place to post this, and sorry for the long post.
It's been a long time since I've been done much research on Dish installs, so I'm a bit rusty about this install and cable run, and could use some help. I've been a dish customer for years now, but I'm wanting to setup Dish up at the lake. The problem is the only place I can get a signal is about 330' away from the house, so I need to find out, 1) if this is at all possible, and 2) what all do I need? The dish installer came and wasn't too thrilled about doing it himself, so I'm going to do it myself.
From what I understand, I'll need to be on the Eastern Arc, since that's the only line of site I have. For the dish, I'm guessing I need a 1000.4, correct? My plan is to most likely set up 3 211's, so I'll need a 3 LNB dish. Obviously the issue here is the length of the cable run. I'm assuming I'll need to use RG11, and have a separate run for each dish...unless there is a way to run one cable and split it, but I don't think that's possible. So first question, is 330' too long of a run to get a good signal? I know I'll need an amplifier, so does anyone have any recommendations? My setup at home uses a DP44, and this is a dumb question, but I can't remember if that's just a switch, or an amp too. Regardless, I'll need to know what I need for the amplifier as well.
Last question (for now), is there a difference in RG11 cable? I saw that Amazon has it for $175 for 1000'. Is there a certain kind I need to be looking for?
Thanks in advance!

330 is not incredibly long. RG11 is probably overkill. 3Ghz Solid copper RG6 would work. Run at least 3 lines without any splices if you can.
If you have signal problems, you can try a DPP44. It is not technically an amp, but I have seen them help with signal issues on very long cable runs.
I'm not sure if your locals are on 77. That would be the only reason you would need a 1000.4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)