Need satellite survey tool (in NYC)

nycsatellite

Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
I am looking (in NYC) for a store or individual that has a tool that can measure angles for us to align a satellite dish from a balcony. PLEASE NOTE: We do NOT HAVE THE DISH yet and need this only to go on a balcony, use some kind of 'tool' to enter the azimuth and elevation, and simply be sure that we can get the angle we need around buildings in Manhattan to set up a dish. Basically, we can't live without NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv... and we don't want to buy an apartment until we're 100% sure have the correct azimuth/elevation needed from the balcony on the apartment. We already have the numbers from Directv, so we just need a tool to check them. However, in NYC since you have lots of high-rise buildings, it may 'look' like we have the angle, but we want some kind of professional-level, view-finder type tool to use.

Real estate in NYC moves so fast, so we need this tool this week. Ack!

Here are examples of tools that will work (again it can't be one you hook up to a satellite dish - we won't have the dish OR the apartment until we know if this will work):

(I can't post URLs since I am a new member): one is from a company called Align-A-Site (you can google it, name is in the web address).

If anyone has a tool like this that I could rent for you from a day (or know a store that sells them?) we will pay you to use it ($20 to use for only one day). Or if you know of a store, that would be great. I'm calling the dish installation companies with not much luck/friendliness since we don't have service to set up just yet.

Thanks for your time - great forum and we'll be back once we actually have the dish set up and own the place!

You can get a device called a clinometer, it has both azimuth and elevation readings on it. A decent one from Suunto runs around $125.
If you go this route give yourself some extra room, about 5 degrees on all sides.

Wow. Thanks for replying so fast and knowing the actual NAME of this tool. Now off to find any store in NYC (there's GOT to be one) that actually has this.

Thank you SO much! It's truly appreciated.

Update - so far we have tried Radio Shack (they said it's special order), B&H Photo (huge NYC store), J&R (another big NYC store), and stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. None of them work or have it. I never thought in a city so big this would be so hard to find!

Is there a particular model I need? One with a viewfinder? I'm close to almost paying someone to find it for me, b/c I have been searching for 2 hours now :) Any more help, always appreciated.

nycsatellite said:
Real estate in NYC moves so fast, so we need this tool this week. Ack!

If someone can overnight it, I may go the eBay route you suggested, but in a city of 8 million people where there are stores that specialize in selling something as specific as plastic googley-eyes for dolls, I'm hoping I can find one of these in NYC. :)

Just goto a sporting good store and get a nice compass. Enter zip code etc on those websites that give you az-elev informations. Most likely you can guess the Elevation using your hand. Only in very tight spots you will need those $150 compass. When I used to work in California putting up D* dishes I'd never needed to use the incline-o-meter.

First, the idea of getting a site survey is a good one- but you will likely be visiting several apartments to pick one, checking out each for satellite reception. No dealer is going to trail along to do this.

Get the align-a-site. I have one. You won't need the dish mount part, save a few bucks. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find it easy to use. One hint- when looking thru the viewfinder, you want the entire circle of vision to be clear. One or two power lines, ok- no significant branches, etc.

The clinometer just won't do the same job. It might be good enough, but used correctly, the align-a-site is much more accurate, with results you can depend upon. You just set the heading/elevation for your area, aim properly north, and balance two bubbles to ensure it's level, and look thru the viewfinder. Practice, and it become quick and easy.

Good luck.

nycsatellite said:
Update - so far we have tried Radio Shack (they said it's special order), B&H Photo (huge NYC store), J&R (another big NYC store), and stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. None of them work or have it. I never thought in a city so big this would be so hard to find!

Amazing, isn't it?

I live in the Los Angeles area, and, like you, I assumed that there must be some store somewhere that carries clinometers in stock in a major metropolitan area like this. I searched and searched, but never found one. I wound up ordering online and having it shipped overnight. :confused:

netcommsj -

The site does not allow you to purchase- something broken? Also, no price & no "where to buy."

NavyChop,
We just finished a major overhaul to the site. New website design company(s). Even changed the hosting company, which meant we had to change e-mail, redirects, purchase routing, etc.
All is fine now. Site is beautiful.
Our site designer’s have outdone themselves! Even has new cutting edge flash elements added.
Purchase was finished and tested yesterday.
Try it again: (I can't post the url as I haven't posted the mininum number of required posts) Sat-Tool
Price is $199.00
Let me know if you find an issues with the site.

If all else fails you can buy a suunto compas with a basic elevation level in it, its a bit tricky to use solo at first but if you have a friend with you its easy to have your friend hold it steady while you site along the edge of the compas, I do this only when I have a potential obstruction issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts