Need some advice on hooking up my dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MacDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
I live in Army housing (Fort Belvoir) here in Virginia. I have many tall trees in the back yard that wont allow me to get a good Line Of Sight. The folks that run the housing here said we can not attach a dish to any part of the house or in the front yard. All dishes has to be in the backyard. I had an installer come out twice now to look for spots to put it. The last guy said he can put it 145 feet away from the house. Thats in front of all the trees. Very clear view. What do I need to make sure I get a strong signal from the dish? I have 1 - HD DVR, 2 - regular DVR's, 1 - HD recvr, 1 - regular recvr.
Right now I am recving a Direct TV feed from MDU (a company here on base) . They only supply the 101 sat feed. No HD!! I have been at words with the management here about this. They really dont see my point or the importants of getting an HD feed to the housing area around here. So that is my problem. Any advice on what I should do would greatly be appreciated. THANK YOU!

We need more information on the type of system that the current system in run on. If the system is based on a destacker, you'd have to install a dedicated Phase III dish 145 feet away. If the current system is based on regular lnb feeds, you can install an 18 inch dish for the 110W satellite position and use a standard 4x4 switch.

If the current regualar DVR has two feeds that are hooked up separately to the two satellite inputs, you have separate feeds, not a stacker/destacker system. In this case, you'd need an 18 inch dish with a sat c lnb and a 4x4 switch. You'd hook up two feeds from the mdu system to the sat a lnb inputs of the 4x4 and the one cable from the 18 inch dish to the 18 volt sat b 22Mhz input.

There will be no long distance problems with the 18 inch setup, since the switch is close to the HD DVR. The sat c lnb would not need to be switched with a 13 or 18 volt signal. This would be a highly reliable setup.

Using a separate Phase III dish would have iffy switching problems with standard rg6.

THank you for the info!
Yes I have Desonra D575 destackers hooked to all the recvr. Two on each DVR recvr's for the SAT 1 & 2 inputs and 1 attached to the regular recvr's.
It might just be best to hook up a phase III dish at 145ft right?
I just need to know how I would keep the signal strong thats all. Thanks

You can still use the 18 inch dish with the sat C lnb, if you hook up 101 after the destackers.

A Phase III dish is switched with a 22 Khz tone through the cable. If this cable is too long, you will get no signal to the switch. Also, the long distance will affect the 18 volt DC switching signal to access the even transponders for 101.

Having the 4x4 switch mounted close to the receiver means no tone switching problems and since the receiver currently works with the destackers, 101 even switching is not an issue. The sat c signal needs no long distance switching at the lnb and could even be placed up to 300 feet away and still work fine. Since it is hooked up to the 18 volt sat b connection directly, even if 18 volts doesn's get to the lnb, it's of no consequence. The sat c lnb would already be the only and default signal. Also only one cable would be needed from the dish to the 4x4 switch, which would be located at the receiver.

The 18 inch sat c dish and 4x4 switch would be the simplest and most elegant solution.

MacDawg said:
I live in Army housing (Fort Belvoir) here in Virginia. I have many tall trees in the back yard that wont allow me to get a good Line Of Sight. The folks that run the housing here said we can not attach a dish to any part of the house or in the front yard. All dishes has to be in the backyard. I had an installer come out twice now to look for spots to put it. The last guy said he can put it 145 feet away from the house. Thats in front of all the trees. Very clear view. What do I need to make sure I get a strong signal from the dish? I have 1 - HD DVR, 2 - regular DVR's, 1 - HD recvr, 1 - regular recvr.
Right now I am recving a Direct TV feed from MDU (a company here on base) . They only supply the 101 sat feed. No HD!! I have been at words with the management here about this. They really dont see my point or the importants of getting an HD feed to the housing area around here. So that is my problem. Any advice on what I should do would greatly be appreciated. THANK YOU!

I done installs in Fort Belvoir. I don't think they allow long cable runs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts