Need to get approximate azimuth for DirecTV dish used with Genie for northern KY

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what he says. It's supposed to snow again tonight, so it's doubtful that anyone will be able to make it to the top of the roof. Don't know why we never think about upgrading satellite service during the summer - probably because there are no ball games on and we are outside rather than in the house watching TV! :)

Tom,
As you get this sorted out there are both dish heaters and dish covers that can help with the snow & ice on the dish issue.
But you may be screwed in another way. There is a feeling drifting through installation departments that it is too dangerous for techs to get off the ladder to install dishes (any more). IF the tech can reach your wood structure that looks like a chimney you are ok.

Report how it goes.

Joe

He will most certainly have to step off the ladder to reach the current location. I actually had to shimmy across the ridge of the roof to reach the chimney myself - it is a reverse gable for a family room, and the chimney is actually in the middle of the ridge of that roof.

If he won't go up there I'll probably have him mount it temporarily on the deck trellis. With the leaves off the trees I doubt if it would block the signal. This spring if I have to I can relocate it myself. That's what I had to do the last time. Not real interested in taking down any trees right now. I like my shade, and I have plenty of firewood from the other trees I took out last year. ;)

Tell me more about these dish heaters. Do they require a separate dedicated power source? Might try to cover, but I have read a thread or two that indicates these can make snow accumulations worse. Guess it would depend if they use a material that is "slippery" enough.

porch-sm.jpg

Here is a picture of the porch and chimney. The dish is not visible in this shot - it is on the other side of the chimney.

So you are talking about mounting it on the post along side the downspout?

So you are talking about mounting it on the post along side the downspout?

No sir - actually they would have to mount it on the trellis that I built on an adjacent part of the deck. Pictured here, but on the opposite side so it won't be visible when I am on the deck. Looking towards the privacy screen you are facing almost due south.

trellis.jpg

I would just leave the existing coax in place that runs up to the chimney mount, and then relocate it if I have a problem when the trees leaf out. Who knows, maybe we will get a spring storm to come along and do some "pruning" for me.

The installer may be hesitant to mount it there. Again, maybe a pole mount would work better?

Chip, do you mean a pole mount that would have to be set in concrete in the ground? Hate the idea of having another pole to mow around, and then I would have to take it out if I relocate it. Guess I need educating - you may be referring to a pole mount that attaches to an existing structure - is that right?

Would they hesitate to mount it to the arbor because of stability issues? This thing is built like a brick s##thouse - 6x6 posts set in concrete. It would be as stable as any pole mount system.

I appreciate all the input, guys! I guess I'll have an ending to the story tomorrow afternoon - that is, as long at Mother Nature doesn't decide to pizz on my plans.

If they can get a clear line of sight from the arbor and if it's stable, they may well use it. I was referring to a pole in the ground. It might be inconvenient to mow around, but better that than having to move it later if/when the leaves get in the way. Besides, it's unlikely the installer will put the dish anywhere it would be blocked by incoming leaves.

He will most certainly have to step off the ladder to reach the current location. I actually had to shimmy across the ridge of the roof to reach the chimney myself - it is a reverse gable for a family room, and the chimney is actually in the middle of the ridge of that roof.

If he won't go up there I'll probably have him mount it temporarily on the deck trellis. With the leaves off the trees I doubt if it would block the signal. This spring if I have to I can relocate it myself. That's what I had to do the last time. Not real interested in taking down any trees right now. I like my shade, and I have plenty of firewood from the other trees I took out last year. ;)

Tell me more about these dish heaters. Do they require a separate dedicated power source? Might try to cover, but I have read a thread or two that indicates these can make snow accumulations worse. Guess it would depend if they use a material that is "slippery" enough.

Yup, the dish heaters require a separate power source.......but you are further south than here in MD and we don't use them. I have put black trash bags on dishes; pull them tight and quick tie them off. Then there are the ones that stretch over the dish and or LNB arm. I guess heavy snow will pile up on anything but all dishes are pointed south and west so the first sunny day does wonders.

Know these things will work through glass. IF your wood chimney is aligned correctly you could put the dish inside with an opening covered with glass.

I like mounting on that trellis.....depending on the length of the required cable run. SWM & Genie applications are a little limited in that way.

Report how it goes with the tech.

Joe

I like mounting on that trellis.....depending on the length of the required cable run. SWM & Genie applications are a little limited in that way.

Joe

Thanks Joe! Right now I am wondering if it's going to happen today - rain and more rain. :( The cable run for the trellis location is actually shorter than for the chimney. With the trellis they would only have about 15 feet before it feeds into the basement. The chimney location feeds it down through the chase and then under the deck, so the total distance there is probably closer to 40 - 50 feet.

What is the approximate limit on cable runs going from the dish to the receiver on these systems?

Thanks Joe! Right now I am wondering if it's going to happen today - rain and more rain. :( The cable run for the trellis location is actually shorter than for the chimney. With the trellis they would only have about 15 feet before it feeds into the basement. The chimney location feeds it down through the chase and then under the deck, so the total distance there is probably closer to 40 - 50 feet.

What is the approximate limit on cable runs going from the dish to the receiver on these systems?

For the SWM & Genie it is pretty short...like about 100 ft from dish to receiver #1. I'll dig around for an exact length but others on here probably have an experience with longer runs & amps...and I think there is a bigger PI (power inserter) possible.

What may come up is a reluctance to mount the dish on the wooden trellis but go ahead anyhow.A wood pole will warp and loose signal.
A wooden structure won't.......but lawn eq & cars can move it. EZ ground access is a real plus with these rigs.

Joe

Well, the tech came out, and unfortunately it looks like the tree is going to present too much chance of an obstruction to make that location feasible. Otherwise he would have been fine with mounting it there. He agreed that the chimney location probably would offer the best line of site, but unfortunately there is still too much snow up there to safely access it. We are going to reschedule for a day that hopefully offers more favorable weather conditions. I must say that fortunately it looks like I have a good tech - seems to know his stuff and happy to answer my questions and work with me on my setup. He spent a good 45 minutes with me walking around in the rain looking for a more favorable location, and also discussed my inside setup as well - hopefully this will pay off on his return trip when I have everything mapped out and ready for him.

I asked him if I would be getting a 34 or a 44, and he said he has the 44's on the truck, but after the first of the year they are going to be offering the 54's in our area. The idea of wireless connectivity has a certain appeal, but I guess I need to do a little research to see how well they are working. Was really hoping to have high def before the big game on the 28th (Cats versus Cards). :) Would the 54 be worth the wait?

Thanks for all the help, guys!

I haven't heard much about the 54s, as in I didn't know they were being manufactured yet.

I haven't heard much about the 54s, as in I didn't know they were being manufactured yet.

There ya go!

My last installs were done when the HDDVR 25 was the new & hot number. Nobody told techs the OTA feature was no longer offered. At that time the fall back dish was the sidecar when no slimlines were available. SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) was a secret over the horizon. Never worked with any wireless eq but my instinct tells me to avoid it for now because new release stuff tends to be buggy for a while........except the ones that are only new boxes for old eq.

With this stuff the fundamentals stay the same...it is the reasons for the complaint calls that changes.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)