Netflix blu-ray price premium to become reality

If they raise the rate they had better improve the turn around service on their BLU-Ray. As in my queue its either long wait or very long wait on new releases. With the BLU's I'm averaging about 6 a month on the new releases which equals $2.99 each. I can go to the local video and get them for $2.49.

I am lucky in so far, I have not run into any major blu-ray availability problem except Oldboy. I have 29 movies in my queue right now; 28 BD and 1 DVD. Only 1 BD says short wait (Drillbit taylor), 1 long wait (oldboy). All the rest are NOW and I have some very recent releases.
But... I will agree that a price increase does need to correspond to better availability and turn-around time as I have read that many people has most movies on wait status of some sort in other areas of the country.

I'm on the $8.xx something 1 at a time, unlimited plan, I get 2-3 movies a week so the price per disc over a month is very low. What is your local video store that rents blu-rays? I can't rent them any cheaper than $4.xx. Maybe some other video places on the other side of town rent BD, but I have never checked.

I can't disagree more with blockbuster over netflix. In the year and a half I had blockbuster, they:
Raised prices 3 times
Reduced my movie total rentals per month twice
took away a couple instore exchanges
I know this was a local store issue, but I was denied instore exhcanges for blu-ray movies. Was told that the mailer coupons did not cover blu-rays and that it was an additonal $1 to do a blu-ray rental in store if I used the mailer coupon.

Plus blockbuster was the one (for me) who had blu-ray availability problems. I rarely could get a blu-ray from them (in store or by mail).

*edit:
Don't interpret me as defending the Netflix premium price. IF they get stupidly greedy, I'll just turn off my blu-ray option.

Mike, whoops, I just read your post again, I misread it, I thought you said to rent at blockbuster over netflix. I just wish I had a viable option locally but there are none that I know of that rent blu-ray.

What do they mean "test it?" Does that mean you're going to do it on a small group of people? What a horrible email to get. "Congratulations! You get to pay more than everyone else simply because you have a good entertainment system!" I just wonder how they'll implement the charging. I think maybe they should try a flat fee and a per-rental fee plan, because I don't order a lot of Blu Ray stuff. I mainly use Netflix for television and sports specials on DVD.

Since BD costs more to purchase then I don't have a problem with a reasonable price increase. But as other have said if the BD availability doesn't improve for new releases they'll be loosing a customer.

I just got my apple tv since I got tired of not having my movies on time. I will dump Netflix and the whole Blu Ray crap. Now that Sony has the video rental on the playstation 3, between the two of them I don't think I will need Blu Ray anymore. I forgot to mention that I also have DirectTV on demand HD. More movie choices. Goodbye Netflix.
I have to wait a long time for a movie from Netflix. Longer than Apple or Sony tv.

If you use regular Blockbuster Online and don't insist on using total access, you save $1/mo. over current Netflix prices, still get HD DVD's and aren't getting an announced price increase soon. I left Netflix after they pulled that low move on their HD DVD customers (Seriously, they could've waited a couple of months) and haven't looked back. Had I known Blockbuster Online had such better turnaround times, I would've gone to them earlier.

allargon, what kind of turnaround are you getting? Seems that both service are very regionalized and very different. For me blockbuster without instore exchanges gave me a 4-5 day turnaround whereas netflix gets me a new movie 2 days after I mail it.

Blockbuster routinely sent me movies from 4-5 states away, netflix has always been from a nearby city.

I agree that Netflix did pull the rug out from under HD-DVD renters (I was one and had that as my primary format).

*edit:
Not sure what prices you are seeing, but for me, blockbuster by mail only is the same price as my netflix account. 1 at a time, unlimited per month. Even the 2 at a time is the same price. Only the 3 at a time is $1 cheaper based on what I see.

Last edited:
Netflix is $16.99/mo. for 3 out at a time.

Blockbuster Online is $15.99/mo. for 3 out at a time.

Like you and I both said--it's $1 cheaper.

Netflix does offer the unlimited movie viewing via PC. :rolleyes:

I get 2 day turn around from Blockbuster. Netflix was generally two day turnaround depending on which post office I used. (Seriously!) However, Netflix was always 3 days if I mailed a movie on a Monday. I knew I wouldn't receive another movie again until Thursday. They wouldn't even acknowledge receipt (Yeah, right!) until Wednesday.

Sorry, I thought you were claiming that all blockbuster plans were $1 cheaper.

As for the watch instantly, that is my favorite part of netflix (Roku box for my home theater gives me dvd-quality). I use it for the kids shows and movies, tv series that I like and everything else that I really wouldn't justify a rental spot on (stupid comedies or the low-budget horror).

Turnaround time was the major factor for me, like it was for you. Except we have opposite experiences with each service. If netflix gets stupid and raises my price by more than 10% (for me that is less than $1) just for the priveledge of renting blu-rays, then it'll be time to re-evaluate and possibly try blockbuster again to see if they have improved service in my area.

I have netflix unlimited 2 at a time for $13.99/mo

I also have blockbuster total access 3 at a time for $19.99/mo

Also included unlimted in store exchanges (including bd)
Also, a coupon for free movie or game rental

I use the game rental cause games cost $6.99. Blockbuster is so much more worth it, although I do have moderate wait times with the service compared to no wait times for any bd on netflix.

If blockbuster online doesn't have the bd I want I can usaully get it from the store with the free exchange.

Overall for my money I choose blockbuster. I just keep netflix for the free streaming (via xbox360) and cause I can get any bd that blockbuster might have a wait time for.

dang capman, you have a good number of movies available at any given time. Do you have a TV service?

So, you are in CA with wait times for Blockbuster, but what are the turnaround times for getting your next movie?

What is your local video store that rents blu-rays? I can't rent them any cheaper than $4.xx. Maybe some other video places on the other side of town rent BD, but I have never checked.[/QUOTE]

Local Movie Gallery and using their Gallery Card. Its a pre-paid card that discounts the rental price. On the downside I live in a small community and the blu selection is kinda limited.

I can say I have no problem getting new release blu-rays from Netflix 2-3 days after release. I dont no what happened but before about 6 months ago it was hard gettting new release blu-rays, then all of a sudden I hardly ever see a wait on them, and I subscribe to the 5-at-a-time tier. I thought about recently going to blockbuster because of their in store returns, and i started adding title to the que and more than half of the movies I had in the que were on long wait and very long wait, the same movies that were available in my Netflix que. Also, I get them very fast. I can put a movie in the mail monday morning and have another on wednesday.

Ive tried Blockbuster a few times and they just couldnt do it as we as Netflix. I dont take issue with a small hike, because my BR availability has been great since they stated they were going to buy more copies.

Im on the 3 out, and even if it goes to $21/mo, its still cheaper than I could buy/or rent the 8 or so BR's I watch every month.

I just left Blockbuster after 4 months because their turnaround and BD availability was worse than Netflix here in So. Cal.

The biggest thing that bothers me about a Netflix price hike for BD is that non major studio films aren't available on BD, so if you watch a lot of indie and foreign films you get screwed for the handful of major studio releases you rent.

Another thing, I'm on the unlimited one-at-a-time plan, only renting 4-5 titles/mo (2-3 in BD). I'm sure that costs Netflix a lot less than those who are getting the max number of rentals their unlimited plans will logistically allow per month.

How about a cap on the max number allowed per month for the unlimited plans and a surcharge for exceeding it? It seems like they'd rather piss off a one digit percentage of BD users than the vast numbers who max out their plans.

I bounced back and forth between Netflix and Blockbuster and opened and closed my Netlix account several times in the past year. But now that I have a Netflix Roku box I won't be dropping them again. I'd prefer to drop my movie package with DTV (Premier) and just rely on Netflix once there is more BD available in general and Roku kicks up to HD output. I don't care if they charge a little more, as long as I can get my value back from it by saving elsewhere and still get my movie fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts