Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing

Do you work for one of these companies, or do you just appoint yourself the Satelliteguys police?
I have been complaining about password sharing for a long time here, when, for example, Netflix does not make enough money, then that effects people that work for them, their employment.

If they do not have enough people paying that monthly charge because of password sharing, then prices go up for everyone else.

I have seen many posts in the Dish Forum when Dish goes after people pirating their signal, then people here go good for Dish, that is what they should do against those crooks.

Why is that different?

Just because Password Sharing is easy to do, it does not make it the right thing to do

Just because Password Sharing is easy to do, it does not make it the right thing to do

I pay $19.99 for "four screens." I have no guilt in sharing my password. If Netflix thinks they can determine whether or not those screens are actually inside my house, well, good luck. If they try to charge me more than $19.99, then I'm done.

I pay $19.99 for "four screens." I have no guilt in sharing my password. If Netflix thinks they can determine whether or not those screens are actually inside my house, well, good luck. If they try to charge me more than $19.99, then I'm done.
And there you are justifying it.

So if I had Dish or DirecTV with 4 Boxes that I pay for every month, that gives me the right to set up a Dish at my son’s house for example, take one of boxes that were authorized at my house and use it there?

And these are the terms for Netflix-

4.2. The Netflix service and any content accessed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household.

No. I'm saying they don't (and can't) know where those screens are located.
Yes they do, on the account page, shows what device(s) you use and the IP address.

I pay $19.99 for "four screens." I have no guilt in sharing my password.
agreed. I have ESPN+ and those few times that the MN Wild are on ESPN+/Hulu only I have no issue giving my stepdad my ESPN+ password so he can watch those couple games a year (the rest are blacked out being in MN and he has a provider with Bally Sports Net/TNT/ESPN in it)

As you've been informed before, different people within the same household can have different IP's, so that doesn't work. Try again.
I have 11 Devices set up with Netflix, they all show last used ( some never beyond setup), what city, state and the ip address, they were all the same address.

here-
  • Roku - Set Top Box​

Sign Out
    AAAABX6c2sZ1eHh--IWcBtUbFFFyevzeOKfqfLZ7aHr7qQyiIX1ynXw3VilYFPxuXynRCCGSXuNjCXOv9sqU1d2O8_q9sYNUHq8.png
    Bruce
  • (Recently watched)
    Last watched 12/26/22, 8:13 PM GMT-5
    Near Kissimmee, Florida IP Address

I have 11 Devices set up with Netflix, they all show last used ( some never beyond setup), what city, state and the ip address, they were all the same address.

here-
  • Roku - Set Top Box​

Sign Out
    AAAABX6c2sZ1eHh--IWcBtUbFFFyevzeOKfqfLZ7aHr7qQyiIX1ynXw3VilYFPxuXynRCCGSXuNjCXOv9sqU1d2O8_q9sYNUHq8.png
    Bruce
  • (Recently watched)
    Last watched 12/26/22, 8:13 PM GMT-5
    Near Kissimmee, Florida IP Address

And I could be logged in, inside my house, on my cell phone, using cellular data, and my IP could reflect Chicago. So, your logic is still incorrect. They cannot determine which devices constitute a "household" at any given time. Also, I reserve the right to use Netflix when I travel. Am I not then a member of my own household?

So if I had Dish or DirecTV with 4 Boxes that I pay for every month, that gives me the right to set up a Dish at my son’s house for example, take one of boxes that were authorized at my house and use it there?
Back in the day Charlie Ergen (Mr Echostar/Dish) himself said you could do that.

But with the Hopper/Joey setup that cant be done as the Joey uses a tuner from the Hopper. But then again get a Wally and you can do it. People take a Wally receiver to tailgate (again another option Dish encourages) with no issues.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
And I could be logged in, inside my house, on my cell phone, using cellular data, and my IP could reflect Chicago. So, your logic is still incorrect. They cannot determine which devices constitute a "household" at any given time.

That is not who they are going after, it is the ones using Roku type devices or TV Apps, for example my Son lives in Orlando, so it would show Sony TV App, Orlando, Fl, then a different IP Address.

Those are the ones they will go after.
Also, I reserve the right to use Netflix when I travel. Am I not then a member of my own household?
They are supposed to set up a Travel Option on the account page, no idea what it will be.

I pay $29.94 per month to Netflix for the UltraHD plan and the DVD plan. This allows me to simultaneously stream four movies. I also visit my siblings and sons families so often the streaming is done remotely. I would expect Netflix to only charge me extra if more than four streams were in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not who they are going after, it is the ones using Roku type devices or TV Apps, for example my Son lives in Orlando, so it would show Sony TV App, Orlando, Fl, then a different IP Address.

Those are the ones they will go after

I log into my parents' TV when I travel to Ohio. I'm still a member of my household using my subscription. They're going to shut me down because it's a Roku TV and not a Roku stick? Sorry, none of what you say makes any sense.

Back in the day Charlie Ergen (Mr Echostar/Dish) himself said you could do that.

But with the Hopper/Joey setup that cant be done as the Joey uses a tuner from the Hopper. But then again get a Wally and you can do it. People take a Wally receiver to tailgate (again another option Dish encourages) with no issues.
When I last had Dish in the mid 2000’s, it would of been easy to do.

And again, just because you could do something does not mean you should.

There are ways to save money with Netflix ( and other streaming services) where you do not have to resort to piracy.

I get the Gift Cards with my Amazon and PNC Credit Cards’ points, so I do not pay cash for YouTube TV( Google Play), Netflix, Hulu with Disney & ESPN+, Paramount+ with Showtime.

The only thing I pay real money for is HBO ($149 a year), MLB ($69 when on sale in May) and Peacock ($50 a year).

So $268 divide by 12 months=$22.33 a month.

I log into my parents' TV when I travel to Ohio. I'm still a member of my household using my subscription. They're going to shut me down because it's a Roku TV and not a Roku stick? Sorry, none of what you say makes any sense.
Again, supposed to have a Travel Option.

But if they see your Roku accessing Netflix at your house and the one at your parents at the same time, then they would know, different IP and I do not know if different city or state.

But if they see your Roku accessing Netflix at your house and the one at your parents at the same time, then they would know, different IP and I do not know if different city or state.

Different city/state is irrelevant. Only households that pay for static IP's (rare) would consistently have the same IP address. People using cellular have different IP's multiple times a day, and they can show various locations.

Different city/state is irrelevant. Only households that pay for static IP's (rare) would consistently have the same IP address. People using cellular have different IP's multiple times a day, and they can show various locations.
Again, not talking about Cellular, they know they cannot trace it that way.

But different City/State is not irrelevant , that is how they would know, specially if it is used in 2 locations at the same time.

If my son and I shared the account and we used it at the same time and/or with him having Comcast in Orlando and me having Charter in Kissimmee, boom, they would know, either by different areas, devices at the same time, IP Address and then different providers.

That is all info easily found out by Netflix or anyone else.