Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing

If my son and I shared the account and we used it at the same time and with him having Comcast in Orlando and me having Charter in Kissimmee, boom, they would know, either by different areas, devices at the same time, IP Address and then different providers.

Oh, so they're only going after people with wired ISP's then, eh? Not multiple people on cellular devices? So, I can just use cellular for everything and I'm good. Got it. :facepalm

Oh, so they're only going after people with wired ISP's then, eh? Not multiple people on cellular devices? So, I can just use cellular for everything and I'm good. Got it. :facepalm
Hooking up a phone or tablet to a TV is a lot harder then a Roku.

That Cell Bill would get quite expensive at the bandwidth Netflix uses.

If you want to watch TV on your phone all the time, go for it, I have a 85” Sony 8K set and a 165” Screen with Projector, I prefer that.

Hooking up a phone or tablet to a TV is a lot harder then a Roku

It's really not. I've ran my network off of cellular before. There are household cellular plans.

Bottom line, you think Netflix is going monitor people on wired ISP's and flag them if they see another connection from the same account on another wired ISP. I don't think this is ever going to happen (except for those who aren't paying for the 4-screen plan).

It's really not. I've ran my network off of cellular before. There are household cellular plans.

You're really reaching now.

Bottom line, you think Netflix is going monitor people on wired ISP's and flag them if they see another connection on another wired ISP. I don't think this is ever going to happen (except for those who aren't paying for the 4-screen plan).
I am not reaching for anything, this is all up to Netflix how they will do it and the multiple ways they can do it.

But sticking your head in the ground and saying they will never figure it out is delusional.

This is our world now, where if you sneeze and google will know and send you a advertisement for cold medicine.

But sticking your head in the ground and saying they will never figure it out is delusional

Well, as a network administrator and professional IT person, I'm not sticking my head in the ground when I'm just stating the reality as it currently stands. Netflix cannot prove that a family of 4 who all use cellular devices and live in the same house are password sharing outside the home.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Bottom line, you think Netflix is going monitor people on wired ISP's and flag them if they see another connection from the same account on another wired ISP. I don't think this is ever going to happen (except for those who aren't paying for the 4-screen plan).
I have the 4 screen plan and only my wife, my daughter, and myself, use that account. (Yes, I stopped mooching off my other daughter. ;)) But my daughter goes off to college and uses it there. So, I am hoping they don't go nuts and try to tell us to pay for 2 accounts.

IF Netflix does this here, I think they are going to be very shocked at the backlash, and just how many accounts they are going to LOSE versus gain. As one of my old bosses used to say for certain things: "It sucks to be you!"

Maybe Netflix needs to NOT pay so freaking much for some of their movies and such. Somebody has to draw a line on costs that are already out of this world. Pretty soon even episodes of tv shows are going to cost like a billion dollars EACH. It's just not sustainable to keep going higher and higher. It HAS to bust eventually.

Will be interesting to see how they implement this, if they actually do. I too have the 4 screen plan. I use it at my lady friends house so the majority of the time it is actually me watching with her. Have another friend using my credentials as well but if need be she can get her own subscription.

I think there will have to be an allowance of some sort for children off at school.

We do hear this every single year it seems for as long as i can remember, that they are finally cracking down on password sharing. I really doubt it, just a scare tactic to to sell more subscriptions i think. But I dont share my Netflix or any other streaming with anyone else. I figure i pay for it, and i dont want no problems when i want to watch. I go for the cheapest plan too. That said i saw my brother in law at Christmas, he told me he shares his Netflix with his boss, who shares his HBO with him, and he shares something else with someone else, i couldnt keep track. My opinion is if you pay extra for 4 streams, you should be able to use 4 streams. But me, i am not sharing with anyone (except my wife lol). To each his own i say. If it works, work it.

Maybe Netflix needs to NOT pay so freaking much for some of their movies and such. Somebody has to draw a line on costs that are already out of this world. Pretty soon even episodes of tv shows are going to cost like a billion dollars EACH. It's just not sustainable to keep going higher and higher. It HAS to bust eventually.
I 100% agree. I have no idea how they are able to do this.

Hooking up a phone or tablet to a TV is a lot harder then a Roku.

That Cell Bill would get quite expensive at the bandwidth Netflix uses.

If you want to watch TV on your phone all the time, go for it, I have a 85” Sony 8K set and a 165” Screen with Projector, I prefer that.
Nope..just use the screen sharing option on the roku

IF Netflix does this here, I think they are going to be very shocked at the backlash, and just how many accounts they are going to LOSE versus gain. As one of my old bosses used to say for certain things: "It sucks to be you!"

Reactions: MikeD-C05
No. I'm saying they don't (and can't) know where those screens are located.

Nevertheless, why do you care what I or anybody else does? Netflix literally TOLD us to share passwords.
Can't they ping the IP addresses ?
That would tell them if they were at your home or not.
However, they allow you to use it on Mobile devices as well with no recourse .... Whats to stop you from casting from your cell phone to the TV in a friend or family's home ?

That is not who they are going after, it is the ones using Roku type devices or TV Apps, for example my Son lives in Orlando, so it would show Sony TV App, Orlando, Fl, then a different IP Address.

Those are the ones they will go after.

They are supposed to set up a Travel Option on the account page, no idea what it will be.
WHAT ?????

I have never seen or heard anything about a Travel Option your suppose to set up before using .... Never.

And Yes, anytime you log in, you could get an email showing where it was at .... I log in my Roku at the Lake house and at my home on my Sony Tv as well, they show different locations, but are very vague...
Nothing wrong with that ... fwiw, I never Log Out of any of my devices.

I pay $29.94 per month to Netflix for the UltraHD plan and the DVD plan. This allows me to simultaneously stream four movies. I also visit my siblings and sons families so often the streaming is done remotely. I would expect Netflix to only charge me extra if more than four streams were in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do they even do the DVR any more ?
If not, drop down your sub and save $5 bucks.

Again, supposed to have a Travel Option.

But if they see your Roku accessing Netflix at your house and the one at your parents at the same time, then they would know, different IP and I do not know if different city or state.
And they are gonna just swoop down and arrest them over it .... NOT GONNA HAPPEN .... EVER.

I expect it will be something like a limit on concurrent streams from multiple IPs that they'll crack down on, not all of this 'this is my home, this is my phone, this is my ____' - that's too complex, you have to think a bit simpler. If it's not seamless and becomes a process that every single customer has to manage, like if they made you define your location every time you opened the app with a different IP... it will negatively impact every user instead of just those they are trying to push to stop password sharing.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Different city/state is irrelevant. Only households that pay for static IP's (rare) would consistently have the same IP address. People using cellular have different IP's multiple times a day, and they can show various locations.
They can track mac addresses of roku devices..especially with ip v6