Neverending issues with my Hopper and Joeys - Am I alone?

cdiddy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
Denver
Coming here to vent a bit, and also see if any of you experts have any advice for what, if anything, I can do to remedy my frustrations with Dish. Below is a list of ongoing problems that I have with my Hopper (original version) and Joeys (original version). If any of you can provide resolutions to any of the below issues, it would be very much appreciated. If not, it may be time to move along...though I don't know where I would go...

-Hopper and Joey menus are extremely laggy and painfully slow, as is channel switching. Several seconds for my guide to populate, for it to register a page up/down command, and when I select a channel, it takes a very long time for the guide to go away and the selected channel to be tuned. Upwards of 4-5 seconds
-Joey's constantly need to be reset after they go into standby mode. No remote button presses will wake them, no matter what (and no, it's not a remote or battery issue)
-Joey sometimes will come on from standby, but doesn't actually send out a signal to the TV. Power cycle required on the Joey to get a signal (maybe an HDMI handshake issue?)
-Hopper is in master bedroom because that TV doesn't have HDMI inputs (and my joey's only have HDMI outputs), and is quite loud. The clickity clack of the Hard Drive is very noticeable and annoying from bed. Additionally, every other night or so, it resets itself at about 1AM and makes a very loud whooshing sound when it does so. Kind of like it's ramps up the fans inside it to full speed for a few seconds. It's enough to wake me every time it happens
-I have a dish sling attached to the Hopper. I'm only able to get it to work remotely about 7% of the time
-Guide doesn't recognize page up command, unless I first press channel down command
-Does it's nightly reset even when I tell it not to when it pops up the warning when I'm still watching TV
-Joeys occasionally put up a message that they are not connected to a hopper...reset required to fix

And I could go on. I haven't followed these forums, so I don't know if I just have a crappy unit(s), or if these are all things others have and I'm just being too sensitive.

Any ideas on potential fixes? Does the Hopper 2 and Super joey fix any of the above issues?

OK, that's long enough. Thanks in advance for your help. I really do appreciate it.

C

I would be happy to assist you! It sounds like we may need to get your Hopper replaced. Can you please send me a PM with your account number or phone number on the account and the 4 digit PIN?

To answer the question in your thread title:

Neverending issues with my Hopper and Joeys - Am I alone?

As far as my Hopper/Joey experience goes, yes you are alone.

Reactions: bobvick and ross9
My wife has experienced frustrating problems from time to time with her Joey, but nothing near as bad as you describe. I hate to say it, but it's actually working pretty well right now. My Hopper2K problems have been very minor. Hope you get your problems solved.

Sounds like a cable or node issue to be honest, when you put all those things together. I am leaning more towards cabling issue to be honest.

Reactions: budda
I've only had the hopper and 2 joey's (one wireless) since march 1st. In that time about a week and a half after installation the hopper for some reason shut itself down. Turned it back on and it functioned normally. Then last Sunday it decided to reboot itself, Right in the middle of Game of Thrones, annoying.
I suppose all things considered, my problems with the hopper are minor and fewer than the 622 I upgraded from. Actually, thus far I'm pleased with the hopper and its performance.

The Hopper has an inactivity timer that will shut the thing off if there is no remote activity for a specified period of time. I always disable this feature. :)

Menu\Settings\Diagnostics\Updates

I've only had the hopper and 2 joey's (one wireless) since march 1st. In that time about a week and a half after installation the hopper for some reason shut itself down. Turned it back on and it functioned normally. Then last Sunday it decided to reboot itself, Right in the middle of Game of Thrones, annoying.
I suppose all things considered, my problems with the hopper are minor and fewer than the 622 I upgraded from. Actually, thus far I'm pleased with the hopper and its performance.
When you say shut down, did it just go to standby, or did the whole thing reboot?

Yup, sounds like inactivity standby. Do what JSheridan advised and that should correct that issue.
Not inactivity standby. I'm one of those people that constantly uses the remote. In fact I was in the process of scrolling through the guide when it shut itself down.

The only issues I have are with my one Joey being slow but that's been pretty typical and does not affect my overall viewing experience. Just sucks when going through the menu.

There is one annoyance, is there any way to remove that "Want to watch this from the beginning?" popup box?
I have no problem with this popup as long as Dish provides an option to turn it off.

I think that cannot be turned off... With the hopper connected to the internet any show or movie that is available to watch in the on demand library will have that popup. Not likely but maybe they will add that option in a future update??

I think that cannot be turned off... With the hopper connected to the internet any show or movie that is available to watch in the on demand library will have that popup. Not likely but maybe they will add that option in a future update??

Too bad. Dish has always had a propensity towards forcing annoying popups on their subscribers and they've obviously extended that policy to the hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts