New azbox software out

Ice,

I wonder if there is any limit imposed at all and if so, how much?

RADAR

I dont know. The program I recorded last night was a small symbol rate (The North Dakota hockey game from the FSSN which has a symbol rate of 4880)

Maybe I'll try some more today to see

Another thing I noticed...and this might be a "you know its a high bitrate feed when"

We still have the high bitrate feed recording issue (stuttering etc) but I noticed yesterday when I hit "record" at the bottom of the screen it pops up the channel bar then shows below it 0:00:00-2:00:00 and the 1st number starts moving. High bitrate feeds seem to freeze on 0:00:04 or 0:00:07 because I recorded about 3-4minutes of a high bitrate feed and when I pressed info on the remote itwas "froze" at "0:00:07-2:00:00"

radar

did some recording today and I recorded a 9.2GB file as one (World Harvest...yeah I know) and here is the funny part (or actually sad)

recorded 2 hours of WHT.....9GB
recorded 96 minutes of ABC HD on G16...5.2GB :eek:

I'm trying to hit 10GB...have to let it record longer I guess ;)

I'll have to go there in a little bit...Sioux game is on right now (cant turn it) ;)

I didnt know if PBS was considered high bitrate.

now that I think about it....all I need to do is record it

dont care if it plays right...just need to record to see how big of a file it will work with ;)

well I tried a HD feed...recorded 1:34:00 of PBS HD...

12.3GB and its one file

so there may not be a limit

Hi Iceberg,
In the past (2880), I was recording from PBS 1 h in HD and file size was around 7.5 GB on internal HDD. But if I recorded MET, (I don't recall FW version) files were splited into 4 GB chunks.
I didn't try recording MET yesterday, I was bussy with new toy; Just 've got Coolsat 5000 for $50 CAN:) and was setting all sats and done some scanning. I hope, one day AZBox will do blind scann like Cooosat do.

I am running my own test today.

I have set PBS HD East on 125W to record for the next 22 hours. If there is a limit, I suspect I will find it here. If there isn't a limit, I doubt anyone will care that I am able to record 22 hours as a single file since no one would normally want to do such a thing in the first place, except out of curiousity. ;)

I don't know what this PBS HD channel has for a bit rate, but since the programming is 24/7 and it is HD, it should at least roll up the miles faster than any other signal that I can acquire for this long of a period. I don't think that I will FTP the record file over to my PC to determine the precise file size. That would require a lot of time that I don't wish to spend. The file size as indicated on the AZBox will be rounded off, but if the file size is going to be proven to be massive, it really won't matter.

RADAR

Last edited:
m
I am running my own test today.

I have set PBS HD East on 125W to record for the next 22 hours. If there is a limit, I suspect I will find it here. If there isn't a limit, I doubt anyone will care that I am able to record 22 hours as a single file since no one would normally want to do such a thing in the first place, except out of curiousity. ;)

I don't know what this PBS HD channel has for a bit rate, but since the programming is 24/7 and it is HD, it should at least roll up the miles faster than any other signal that I can acquire for this long of a period. I don't think that I will FTP the record file over to my PC to determine the precise file size. That would require a lot of time that I don't wish to spend. The file size as indicated on the AZBox will be rounded off, but if the file size is going to be proven to be massive, it really won't matter.

RADAR

That PBS channel is about 17 mbps video, 18 mbps with the audio streams.
I'm wishing that I had recorded it 24/7, because there was a good program on last night that I was too lazy to turn my computer back on to record.

I think PBS grabs about 7 or 8 GB per hour if I remember right.

m

That PBS channel is about 17 mbps video, 18 mbps with the audio streams.
I'm wishing that I had recorded it 24/7, because there was a good program on last night that I was too lazy to turn my computer back on to record.

I think PBS grabs about 7 or 8 GB per hour if I remember right.

B.J.

Thanks for the data on that. I hear you on that (about wishing you had let it record a longer spell). I, too have missed some stuff I wished I had in my archives.

BTW, how can one determine the bit rate of any particular channel? And what is the limit when and where the recording quality of the AZBox starts messing up? I haven't had an opportunity to get something recorded that went bad on me yet, and I certainly don't know what the dividing line is, either.

I know that I can record PBS HD East (or West) just fine and it plays-back fine. Always has worked for me. But, I would definitely like to record something with a very high BR so that I can see what it looks like when recorded, first hand you know.

RADAR

To get the bit rate, one way is to use TSreader to analyze the stream. The bit rate of each PID is displayed on the main screen. One of the fun things about having a DVB PCI setup is the stream analysis to satisfy curiousity.
:)

well I recorded PBS HD for about 4 hours and it was 32.2GB

and one file :)

so there may not be a limit

FYI:

I've recorded from NBC in HD with bitrate around 22500. File was NOT splited and size is 11+ GB.
Problem is that I'm not able to play is on AZBox, lot of pixelizations and frame drops. Playin it over the network produces similar result. I will copy file to PC and try palying it localy. Will let you know tomorrow.

I noticed I couldnt play the file that I had recorded (the 32GB file). I hit play and it sat there for a minute or so but wouldnt play

the 12GB file I recorded last night worked fine

well I recorded PBS HD for about 4 hours and it was 32.2GB

and one file :)

so there may not be a limit..........

..........I noticed I couldnt play the file that I had recorded (the 32GB file). I hit play and it sat there for a minute or so but wouldnt play

the 12GB file I recorded last night worked fine

After setting a recording for 22 hours, I found the same results. One file which was 32.2 GB in size, and it would not play, period.

Therefore, I have a suspicion that a limit is still in place (32.2 GB). However, there seems to be another limit involved, something between 4 GB and 32.2 GB. When this limit is reached, the file does not playback correctly. I am not certain what would happen with a SD signal here, but obviously, it is not good for the HD signals.

At least with the 4GB limit, you could record for 24 hours and play all of it back just fine, although the complete file would be divided into 4 GB segments. If you desired, you could FTP these individual segments over to your PC and edit them and combine them with software into one continuous file. Now, with that specific limit removed, we will have to determine what the time frame limit is for SD / HD, 4:2:2 signals etc. as well as different bit rates and record the program in separate files with specific time limits in order to be able to view them at all later.

I think they may have just complicated matters with this change, unless they can correct the problem with playback.

EDIT: I just finished recording 4 hours from PBS HD East. The file size indicates 32.0 GB, but the entire program is perfect at playback. Obviously, the duration limit for a HD source such as PBS HD is near four hours (since it shows fouled with 32.2 GB but is OK at 32.0 GB). I will try to record the same channel again with a longer duration later until I detect when the problem actually arises - with this specific source.

RADAR

Last edited:
Recording from yesterday is NO good. It is doing the same on PC as was on AZBOX.
I also check recording from November of MET (Bitrate ~ 23000) is no good. But recording from PBS NOVA done in September (Bitrate 17000) is OK.

Lools to me as the cap on 20000 bitrate is not lifted yet.

so we know the limit is 32GB

I can live with that since almost all my recordings would be way lower size than that ;)

so we know the limit is 32GB

I can live with that since almost all my recordings would be way lower size than that ;)

Ice,

Yes, that does seem workable.

With an HD signal such as PBS HD (@ ~18 MBPS) this ~32 GB limit allows four hours (and maybe a wee bit more) of recording to be one file.

Don't know how long (time-wise) this would mean if the source was SD, but certainly it must be quite long.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)