New azbox software out

I went to the web page where these things are distributed, hoping to see some indication of what was changed, but it was blank. Once there though, I noticed the description on one of the earlier versions (4075 I think), it had a line that said "disable of telnet service". This made me curious what they meant by this? Does this mean that the later versions after 4075 don't allow you to connect via telnet??? I hope that's not the case, as I think it will cripple the box with respect to experimentation by people writing 3rd party firmware, and just generally make the box a bit less fun to use by people who enjoy snooping around. I also suspect that it may make that MAZ22 program stop working, because it uses telnet in addition to FTP (I have no idea of WHY it uses telnet, but it seems to use it to make a partition that is normally RO into a R/W partition).

Anyway, I'm curious whether anyone who's loaded up one of these firmwares since 4075 has tried Telnet, to see if it still works?? Just curious.

In this version, telnet is disabled by default. You can enable it as all other services.

Oh, OK, that's good. I was afraid that they had turned it off completely. Like on my old SA TIVOs telnet isn't enabled, and you have to pull the drive and mount it in a Linux environment and enable it, then put the drive back in, which is a pain. I'm not sure how you'd do that on an Azbox which apparently has it's OS on chips rather than a real drive.

I haven't even loaded any of these new FW with the so called software blind scan.. been lazy

I haven't even loaded any of these new FW with the so called software blind scan.. been lazy

Same here. I still have 3877 (I think), which is the last official release. I've been half lazy with respect to trying the new ones and half being careful, since they aren't tested.

BTW, I've just copied ALL the release notes from the various firmware versions back through July, in case anyone is interested in following the progress of this box.

Attachments

• Azbox-release-notes.txt
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,010
the only thing I noticed different is they added reboot to the options when you press the power button,and mine says not connected to the internet but I know I am because I can watch youtube.I dont think there have been any improvements to the scan feature,It adds to many duplicates.I still cannot scan in the cbs feeds on 89 or 97 since the 4110 upgrade.

Oh, OK, that's good. I was afraid that they had turned it off completely. Like on my old SA TIVOs telnet isn't enabled, and you have to pull the drive and mount it in a Linux environment and enable it, then put the drive back in, which is a pain. I'm not sure how you'd do that on an Azbox which apparently has it's OS on chips rather than a real drive.

I think the chips are actually plugged into an IDE slot.

I think the chips are actually plugged into an IDE slot.

Really? That's interesting. I guess that explains why things are mounted /dev/hda1 , hda2, hda3, hda4.
I was wondering why they were mounting as a hard drive when there obviously wasn't any hard drive in there.
Neat.

Really? That's interesting. I guess that explains why things are mounted /dev/hda1 , hda2, hda3, hda4.
I was wondering why they were mounting as a hard drive when there obviously wasn't any hard drive in there.
Neat.

Yes, the actual drive is something they call DOM - Disk On Memory. Within the Premium model, it is located just right of the HOME button on the AZBOx front panel and quite near the front of the machine.

It is a plug-in module that looks like a monolith and stands upright with the pins extending from the bottom. I had this removed from my box once, for some reason. But, I cannot remember what the connector style looks like. I was thinking it was a pin-type connection, not a edge connector style.

If you do a FORMAT APPLICATION AREA, this is the device that gets, reformatted. If it ever goes bad, it is really easy to replace, provided you can come across a new one. If you have two AZBoxes, this is handy as you can "plug and play" with these modules (DOMs) to troubleshoot.

As for improving the blind scan operation with version 0.9.4142 I am afraid that isn't one of the updates here. According to one of the European sites, this upgrade addressed some missing files and recording or transferring features with those file types. They also discussed the blind scan feature and no one there found anything improved, yet. Apparently, many Europeans don't utilize blind scanning like we do. From discussions abroad, I think they are starting to demand it - or at those who were unaware of it before are now. That is a plus for us in N.A.

I mentioned to them how we use blind scan over here and a few of them were really impressed. I think they were drooling! :D

RADAR

Last edited:
If they have enough unencrypted channels (or even otherwise... everybody on the European forums is always talking about emulators...) maybe they don't need to bother looking for feeds.

I'm running a the 2 Gig unit......
Memory.com | IDE Flash Modules

It doesn't make it any better.

Lak7,

I assume that it is the "horizontal" module, but do you recall which pinout (40 or 44 pins)? Which p/n or item # did you get?

This would be a good resource for future considerations should anyone have one fail. I am sure that would be rare, but just in case, it would be good to know the information just in case.

I would vote for composing a post on its own, just to list this information as a "sticky". We should also have a "sticky" for internal and external HDD's that are compatible with the AZBox Premium and Elite. I think this would be very helpful to everyone.

RADAR

I assume that it is the "horizontal" module, but do you recall which pinout (40 or 44 pins)? Which p/n or item # did you get?

This would be a good resource for future considerations should anyone have one fail. I am sure that would be rare, but just in case, it would be good to know the information just in case.

Interesting about the memory modules. Drifting off topic here I know, but the comment above about it being "rare" that one of the things fail caught my eye.

Different kind of memory module, I know, but a couple weeks ago, I had 3 of those thumb drive things tied to a cord in my pocket, and we were getting snow, so I went out in the dark to shovel off the deck between house and garage. Overnight, snow came off my metal roof, and I had a foot or so of snow on the deck again. This time I got the snow blower out, and started blowing the snow off. When mostly done, I noticed something on top of the snow where the blower was throwing it. It was one of the thumb drives. To make a long story shorter, I had some important data on one of the little thumb drives, and now I'm looking at a 3' deep pile of snow, knowing that the darn drive was down there somewhere. I shoveled much of the snow by hand back onto the deck, and sifted through it with a rake. Got out my metal detector, and went over the area. I eventually found the cord, and the cap from the drive with the important data, but no thumb drive. Finally gave up, but my wife came out and stood there, and said "isn't that a thumb drive over there?". Sure enough, the thing had skidded across the top of the snow, and was about 5' from where I was looking.
Anyway, back to the topic of memory modules failing, even though I had FOUND 2 of the 3 drives, I figured that there wasn't much chance that they had survived the torture of sitting overnight in wet snow then being collected by a big auger, and blown out the top of the snowblower by a high speed impeller, being separated from it's cap none the less.
Well, I let the things sit on the table for half a day, then decided to try them out. Both worked fine. I've become a believer that these solid state memory devices are next to indestructible. :) Particularly compared to hard drives. I've had a couple hard drives destroyed by rather innocuous falls to the floor (when I tripped on the cord and pulled them off a table).

But yes, it's nice to know of a source for these devices, although I'm still a bit confused about just what info is kept where, which is replaced upon upgrading and wiping the application area, etc. For example, there are partitions mounted as these hdax devices, but then there are partitions mounted as mtdblocks. What devices are these mtdblocks on? I assume that there must be a boot program on rom or non volatile ram that allows us to load the OS when the existing OS is corrupted, but I guess it's function is over by the time the OS is running, so that wouldn't need to be mounted anywhere. Anyway, I've been an off and on Unix/Linux user for over 20 years, but never ran into this mtdblock term, so I'm curious. I looked it up and see that it refers to "memory technology devices", but that could refer to a lot of things. Just curious what hardware item these mtdblocks are on???

but do you recall which pinout (40 or 44 pins)? Which p/n or item # did you get?
It's a 40 Pin - TS2GDOM40V-S
Just an FYI, I formatted it with a PC into 4 equal parts, and it would not boot unless connected to a network - Weird. I then formatted with the AZBox, which does pre-determined parts, and all is fine.

well I used the newest (4142) and all I see is when you hit power off now you have 4 options

standby
shutdown
restart
cancel

blind scan is the same....I'm going back to the previous (4110)

well I used the newest (4142) and all I see is when you hit power off now you have 4 options

standby
shutdown
restart
cancel

blind scan is the same....I'm going back to the previous (4110)

Ice,

I was reading on some of the European forums about the new shutdown, standby ops in the latest firmwares. It does make sense why they adopted it. Same thing as having a safe removal method for USB flash drives or shutting down your home PC. I am sure that you understand that. However, I am detecting a lot of really squirrelly reactions (menus locking up and such) with version 0.9.4142.

Yep, it ain't so hot, but afterall, it is a beta version, so they are not claiming it to be without flaws. I think it is great that they are allowing us to dabble with the beta versions. I think it helps them create a better official firmware version. We get to be the guinea pigs in the process, but that gives them assistance to repair errors sooner then they might find on their own.

RADAR

It's a 40 Pin - TS2GDOM40V-S
Just an FYI, I formatted it with a PC into 4 equal parts, and it would not boot unless connected to a network - Weird. I then formatted with the AZBox, which does pre-determined parts, and all is fine.

Thanks Lak7,

Could you have installed this module directly in the AZBox and let it format it and have it work? I mean, rather than formatting it with your PC? Did you have to follow any unique instructions or procedures to format it with your PC and what OS does your PC have in order to accomplish this?

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)