New bie.., Basic Qn on 510 recevier before I go for it

lazar

Original poster
May 29, 2005
Hey all , Im currently having 311 receiver ( with DP 34 switch ) , and buying a 510 from ebay ( bid currently going on ). My question is : can I handle Installation myself with the current setup ? or Does it require new switch or connections ? Im assuming the swap of 311 and 510 is smooth. Am I wrong ? anybody has some insights on this before I spent money on this Bid ( for 510 receiver ).
I sinciearly thanks any suggestions ......

If your bid is not successful, I recommend you take advantage of the special on the front page of Satellite Guys from DishStore. A 508 is identical to the 510 in every way except for 2 things.

1) There is no $5 monthly VOD (DVR/PVR) fee. Unless you have America's Everything Pack, there is an additional $5 a month fee to use a 510.
2) Has a smaller hard drive and can "only" store about 60 hours of programming.

A 508 at $179 is a pretty good deal. Consider this...
Even if you get a 510 FOR FREE, it will cost $60 after the first year. $120 after two years. $180 after three years (The price of this 508). $240 after 4 years and $300 after 5 years. Add the price of purchase to this, the 508 is a much better deal as long as you do not already subscribe to America's Everything Pack.

See ya
Tony <---Will do anything to avoid paying a "because we can" fee.

New bie,
Whatever model you're looking at, if you're buying it used, be sure to get the receiver's R00# (on the back of the receiver) and the smart card S00# from the seller BEFORE you bid -- then call DishNet customer service to verify that the ##'s don't have a balance due & the previous account on them has been closed.

If there's a balance due/accnt not closed, DishNet will not activate it for you.

As long as you're thinking 510, why not think 522 -- 1 receiver w/2 tuners and a lot more flexibility, like recording two programs at the same time. You'll still end up paying the $5/month, however.

Also, before buying anything, also ask Dish customer service if they will in fact add to your account whatever it is you'll be buying. The fine print on the contract for the receiver you're currently using can make a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)