new carbon ui hopper experence app this morning

That's not going to happen until their programming contracts allow for it. Remember both Dish and DTV had ala carte, until channel owners immediately recognized a massive loss of revenue. Now they force the channels in certain packages based on contracts.
\

Oh, I understand. But these channel owners must know that no one watches their crap right? If 99.5% of subscribers don't listen to opera music, why even waste the time and space to it?

There is a reason so many people are "cutting the cord". Unless sat and cable get their act together they will be left in the dust - and it will happen, the history of technology is all the proof we need.

Reactions: Jim S.
TiVo sued for patent infringement (the functionality of the software). Not sure that you can trademark the "look" of software. Now, they could trademark the "Carbon UI" name but that would be silly.

\

Oh, I understand. But these channel owners must know that no one watches their crap right? If 99.5% of subscribers don't listen to opera music, why even waste the time and space to it?

There is a reason so many people are "cutting the cord". Unless sat and cable get their act together they will be left in the dust - and it will happen, the history of technology is all the proof we need.
They know no one is watching their crap, that is why they force bundles. The alternative is that companies like Dish do not take on their couple of popular ones, to give up the unpopular ones which is worse for business

Reactions: Shoot To Thrill
Indeed. If they cared, they would allow us to build our channels " à la carte".
Bundling of commonly owned networks (Disney, Discovery, Viacom, etc.) is not up to DISH so you need to smack that fact into your thought processes.

If you prove otherwise (by creating an ala carte service and selling it at a profit), you can continue to whine about ala carte. Otherwise, you should not suggest that it can or must be done and certainly stop claiming that it somehow DISH's fault. No other company has so actively lobbied for ala carte as DISH and that goes way back. I'm betting it will be mentioned in Charlie's obituary some day.

Bundling of commonly owned networks (Disney, Discovery, Viacom, etc.) is not up to DISH so you need to smack that fact into your thought processes.

If you prove otherwise (by creating an ala carte service and selling it at a profit), you can continue to whine about ala carte. Otherwise, you should not suggest that it can or must be done and certainly stop claiming that it somehow DISH's fault. No other company has so actively lobbied for ala carte as DISH and that goes way back. I'm betting it will be mentioned in Charlie's obituary some day.
Talk about blowing a post completely out of context.

Specifically, when was that?

I recall that Echostar offered something that nodded towards ala carte but I don't recall DISH offering it.
It may have been under the echostar name before Dish split off in 2006 as its own company, but programming has been under Dish since 1996. It was long long before my time as a Dish customer or employee.

Edit: misspelled employee thanks to stupid autocorrect. Apples biggest flaw, in my opinion.

It may have been under the echostar name before Dish split off in 2006 as its own company, but programming has been under Dish since 1996. It was long long before my time as a Dish customer or employee.

Edit: misspelled employee thanks to stupid autocorrect. Apples biggest flaw, in my opinion.
You would have to be talking about TVRO which is/was a WHOLE different animal from DBS. Prior to Dish, Echosphere/Echostar was a TVRO hardware distributor, later they had their own "branded" products manufactured by some of their vendors. In the very late 80's and early 90's they began to develop their own hardware (after they purchased Houston Tracker Systems). In addition to hardware distribution, they had a division that sold scrambled programming to TVRO owners, called "The Satellite Source." Because they were only the middle man (programming was uplinked direct to the C-Band birds by the programmer primarily for cable) they could and did sell a-la-carte, as did many other program providers such as National Programming Service, Netlink, Superstar Connection, Programmers Clearinghouse, TurnerVision, etc... Just to name a few. Dish Network, DirecTV, USSB, nor Primestar, or any other DBS provider has ever had true a-la-carte.

Reactions: Troch77 and Hall
You would have to be talking about TVRO which is/was a WHOLE different animal from DBS. Prior to Dish, Echosphere/Echostar was a TVRO hardware distributor, later they had their own "branded" products manufactured by some of their vendors. In the very late 80's and early 90's they began to develop their own hardware (after they purchased Houston Tracker Systems). In addition to hardware distribution, they had a division that sold scrambled programming to TVRO owners, called "The Satellite Source." Because they were only the middle man (programming was uplinked direct to the C-Band birds by the programmer primarily for cable) they could and did sell a-la-carte, as did many other program providers such as National Programming Service, Netlink, Superstar Connection, Programmers Clearinghouse, TurnerVision, etc... Just to name a few. Dish Network, DirecTV, USSB, nor Primestar, or any other DBS provider has ever had true a-la-carte.
It was the Dish Pick, which I believe was after 2000, but am being given a hard time finding info for it, but to be fair, I am in the middle of an untimed math quiz....

It was the Dish Pick, which I believe was after 2000, but am being given a hard time finding info for it, but to be fair, I am in the middle of an untimed math quiz....
ChadT41, I remember it as well when we first got Dish. My son was born in 1995 and we lived in that house until 1998. I know we had it up there so it was before 2000, but not much. I also know it was DBS not C Band.

Like I mentioned, long before my time. I just remember hearing so much about it from long time employees, and customers that had been with them for years asking when it was going to be coming back(in addition to Charlie Chat)

I don't know about Dish Pick. I wasn't a DBS subscriber until about 2001, had always had TVRO before that. What I call "a-la-carte" is what you could get on C-Band, where you could just subscribe to one channel if you wanted, or two, or 12.

ChadT41, I remember it as well when we first got Dish. My son was born in 1995 and we lived in that house until 1998. I know we had it up there so it was before 2000, but not much. I also know it was DBS not C Band.
Looking at dish.com from 1998 on the Web Archive, only AT40, AT100, Superstations, Networks E&W, MultiSport, Premiums, Adult, International, and the "Action Pack" are listed.
Checked 2000, saw nothing listed either.
While I didn't have Dish for the first time until 2006, I do seem to recall hearing of Dish Pick or Picks prior to that.
I imagine it was a group of a few channels that you could pick from, maybe 10 from a limited selection for $XX.00

I remember putting my name and telephone # on a call list with Dish to be notified when they would start up in my area. I was on that list for almost 3 years. I bought everything they offered when they did start up. It still was cheaper than C-Band. With C-Band you had to pay full price for each TV you had a receiver at. I had 3. Dish charged $5 for each additional TV.

I remember putting my name and telephone # on a call list with Dish to be notified when they would start up in my area. I was on that list for almost 3 years. I bought everything they offered when they did start up. It still was cheaper than C-Band. With C-Band you had to pay full price for each TV you had a receiver at. I had 3. Dish charged $5 for each additional TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts