New Customer Questions about address and more

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is nothing dishonest about it. Nobody is being stolen from, losing anything, or being cheated.

Nobody said it was stealing. It does call into question your integrity, though. Not something I would be bragging about on the internet.

dishrich,
I think that telling them that I live elsewhere is reasonable. I am not trying to steal by getting both FL and NY channels, just getting NY instead of FL. I think that is reasonable.

Of course you think it's reesaonable. You want it. You don't care about the contract that you will sign. But I gaurentee that if D* does not come through on one little peice of that contract, you will be all over them.
Those regulations are there to protect the local stations where you live. They make money off of the advertising for that local area. D* would let you have any DMA in the country of they could. It's not their rules. It's the FCC. D* has to enforce those rules to protect their company. So the whole point here is if for some reason you get caught, they are going to cancel you.

The other posters here that did not answer your direct question were not trying to be "moral" they were trying to warn you.

Also the terms of serivce of this website do not allow discussion of ways to circumvent D* policies.

D* is now watching this and other websites and is interacting with the site owner and moderators. I am sure that Scott would not want anything to mess up that newly forming relationship. I for one do not want it messed up, so when I see this type of post I will speak up.
Sorry if you don't like it.

Also the terms of serivce of this website do not allow discussion of ways to circumvent D* policies.

If D* themselves was SO concerned about movers, they would have ALREADY done something about it, which is something some of you naive people don't seem to grasp. They already KNEW long ago people are doing this - THAT'S why they do not ask questions when someone calls up & changes their physical addy. Don't ask - don't tell, they are getting either the same amount or MORE money from subs when they do this, so why would they want to ruin it.

D* is now watching this and other websites and is interacting with the site owner and moderators. I am sure that Scott would not want anything to mess up that newly forming relationship. I for one do not want it messed up, so when I see this type of post I will speak up.
Sorry if you don't like it.

Then why don't you let SCOTT address it then, since it IS HIS website & NOT yours & let him speak for HIMSELF & not you - I'm quite certain he would have ALREADY done this if it was a big concern of his. :rolleyes: :confused:

Also, since guys like you like being the moral police - I'm just curious, does this apply to Canadian gray market subs that people freely talk about on this site as well, as well as one of the mods that freely discusses this? I would assume that in your eyes, they are JUST as dastardly & evil as us US movers, since it is getting something in the US you are NOT really supposed to. Maybe they'll start public floggings again for these despicable acts... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
dishrich,
Thanks, I understand now what you mean. Basically my dish actually directly receives the signal. It does not receive it from directtv's satellite. No biggie. Will I then be able to receive the florida local spotbeams? Or does directv block me from that because they think I am in NJ?

OK, let's try this again...
The D* sats use many spotbeams that go over a certain region. But those same spots ONLY carry the locals that should actually be RECEIVED by those same beams.

The NY spots ONLY carry NY locals, which your dish can ONLY see in the NY region.
The FL spots ONLY carry FL locals, which you dish can ONLY see in the FL region.

So yes, your dish DOES receive the FL spots, but they ONLY carry FL locals, NOT NY locals - got it???
Bottom line - you ain't gonna get those extra NY locals all the way down in FL, period.

Then why don't you let SCOTT address it then, since it IS HIS website & NOT yours & let him speak for HIMSELF & not you - I'm quite certain he would have ALREADY done this if it was a big concern of his. :rolleyes: :confused:

Also, since guys like you like being the moral police - I'm just curious, does this apply to Canadian gray market subs that people freely talk about on this site as well, as well as one of the mods that freely discusses this? I would assume that in your eyes, they are JUST as dastardly & evil as us US movers, since it is getting something in the US you are NOT really supposed to. Maybe they'll start public floggings again for these despicable acts... :rolleyes:

Because I have an opion and I expressed it. Don't like it, put me on your ignore list.
I am not "moral" police. Nore is anyone else here. They simply stated the facts.
Yes, I do think that the Candian grey area subs are wrong and if D* were to find out about them, they would most likely do something about it to cover their own a$$. They could be fined or worse by the FCC if they do not abide by the FCC guidelines.

But just because I think they are wrong does not equate to them being evil. Your being a bit sensitive. I just don't agree with it.

And if for some reason D* were to view this site as undermining D*'d policies and they shut down this newly evolving relationship, there is a risk they we all who would benifit from it would be adversly affected. So essentially I am looking out for me by speaking my piece.

I understand what you are saying that the FL locals are "losing" because I as a FL resident am not getting their advertising since I am seeing the NY channels instead. However as I mentioned in a previous post, I WILL NOT watch the FL stuff as a substitute. I want to see Yankee games, not Marlins games or a game of the week. If I can't see a Yankee game, a different game is NOT a substitute for me. I will just do or watch something completely different. That is the whole problem with these blackout rules. They don't take into consideration that people are fans of specific teams, and not just looking to watch whatever game is on.

I understand what you are saying that the FL locals are "losing" because I as a FL resident am not getting their advertising since I am seeing the NY channels instead. However as I mentioned in a previous post, I WILL NOT watch the FL stuff as a substitute. I want to see Yankee games, not Marlins games or a game of the week. If I can't see a Yankee game, a different game is NOT a substitute for me. I will just do or watch something completely different. That is the whole problem with these blackout rules. They don't take into consideration that people are fans of specific teams, and not just looking to watch whatever game is on.

I do agree that blackouts are Bullsh!t and stupid. Unfortunety for the networks, it's all about the $$$. They don't really care about our personal wants and desires. They want our money.

Yes, I do think that the Candian grey area subs are wrong and if D* were to find out about them, they would most likely do something about it to cover their own a$$.

Uh, OK you lost me - what does D* have to do with Canadian grey market??? :confused: :confused:

But just because I think they are wrong does not equate to them being evil. Your being a bit sensitive.

No, I was actually being sarcastic to the other do-gooders when I said "evil & flogging", since some of them equate "moving" to child molesting - you actually sound more reasonable. :)

And if for some reason D* were to view this site as undermining D*'d policies and they shut down this newly evolving relationship, there is a risk they we all who would benifit from it would be adversly affected. So essentially I am looking out for me by speaking my piece.

OK, & since I disagree with this & since Scott (who RUNS the site) hasn't said any different, I'll continue to speak mine as well, just as the Canadian grey subs do in the other forums - we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. ;)

I do agree that blackouts are Bullsh!t and stupid. Unfortunety for the networks, it's all about the $$$. They don't really care about our personal wants and desires. They want our money.

Exactly, but as I said before, I am WILLING TO PAY extra for the MLB package, but the problem is even if I do, they STILL BLACKOUT many games!

Slingbox shoots a HUGE hole in all of this for the networks. So if I had to, I would watch games on my computer with a slingbox in NY before I watched a local Malins game, so either way, they won't get their way with me.

They should allow people to select which locals they want to get and allow them to change it once per year (or X times per Y period of time) and filter local commercials in, kind of like you get when you watch CNN. I bet they could make even more money by having something like this taylored to the customer.

I listen on the internet to WFAN sports radio in NY, and all the time, I hear ex New Yorkers calling (usually from FL) and complaining about this stuff. It was even worse because at the begining of 2007, the MLB package wasn't available for Cable TV customers. Only DTV.

OK, let's try this again...
The D* sats use many spotbeams that go over a certain region. But those same spots ONLY carry the locals that should actually be RECEIVED by those same beams.

The NY spots ONLY carry NY locals, which your dish can ONLY see in the NY region.
The FL spots ONLY carry FL locals, which you dish can ONLY see in the FL region.

So yes, your dish DOES receive the FL spots, but they ONLY carry FL locals, NOT NY locals - got it???
Bottom line - you ain't gonna get those extra NY locals all the way down in FL, period.

I think I understand you now. So what will I get when I tune in to those channels? Will I just get snow or blank screen, or will I get the FL locals or will those be blocked by DTV?

Exactly, but as I said before, I am WILLING TO PAY extra for the MLB package, but the problem is even if I do, they STILL BLACKOUT many games!

I thought that when the Saturday games on Fox are being broadcast you would still be blacked out of the other games since they have the MLB rights during that time frame. I don't think that getting the NY locals will solve your issue.

All games except for local games are blacked out. So if I am in FL and I get the MLB package, every game will be blacked out on Saturday when the FOX game is on except the Marlins Tampa games. But if I have a NY address, then the everything will be blacked out except the Yankees and Mets.

I think I understand you now. So what will I get when I tune in to those channels? Will I just get snow or blank screen, or will I get the FL locals or will those be blocked by DTV?

You'll probably get a searching for signal 771 message since the box can't find the signal. You'll also not get any of the FL local or RSN channels since D* thinks you're in NY, your FL locals won't even show up in the guide.

The exception would be if you had a HD STB with an ATSC tuner, you could then set the zip code for local market and you'll see the local OTA channels in the guide but no locals that would be delivered by satellite.

You know, we just need to agree to disagree. There are arguements for both sides. I lean towards the side that there is nothing wrong to "move" as you are still paying for the service you are getting.

I go to the supermarket and they have canned veggies on sale - 25 cents a can. I pickup 30 cans of several different kinds and go check out. They scan a can of corn for 25 cents and then just hit the 29x key to add 29 more. They know I didn't get 30 cans of corn but they know its all the same price - 25 cents each. So what?! I paid the correct price for the items I puchased - I didn't steal anything. When they go to re-order, they'll walk around with the order gun, see the peas are low and order peas - not corn - Why? because they use the order gun. Therefore the whole process is quicker for the cashier to move the customer out.

I see it the same way for sat. If I "move" to another city, I'm paying for the services I get. While it may be a gray area, there are far worse things in life to worry about other than if I'm receiving "paid-for" sports channels out-of-market.

Uh, OK you lost me - what does D* have to do with Canadian grey market??? :confused: :confused:

No, I was actually being sarcastic to the other do-gooders when I said "evil & flogging", since some of them equate "moving" to child molesting - you actually sound more reasonable. :)

OK, & since I disagree with this & since Scott (who RUNS the site) hasn't said any different, I'll continue to speak mine as well, just as the Canadian grey subs do in the other forums - we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. ;)

No one said anything more than you would be violating your contract. That's it! Now you have said we are comparing you somehow to a child molester! Amazing! What's next? Are you going to call us Nazis?

Well, I guess I am going to jail for 5 years. At least I will be able to see the Yankee games.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

i'm not getting the 3 latest hd channels

Unsubscribe to Access Directv Magazine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)