New customer w/o install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Here's the situation: My brother moved into my grandfather's house, which already has a SWM dish and coax ran throughout the house, and was working until I moved out. I took the receivers with me and had a new dish installed and all is well and good.

Now, my brother wants to setup DirecTV and get the current customer offer but wants to avoid having an installer have to come out and bring the boxes. He'd like to either go to a store and get them or have them shipped to him, since I'm perfectly capable of connecting an HDMI cable and coax cable.

So, the question is, can you call into DirecTV and setup a new account and have them ship you the boxes, or, can you go to an online retailer like Solid Signal, etc. and have them ship the boxes, but still get the free HD DVR, etc. deal?

No one here can tell you what he can get for free. He will have to call and try to get a deal. My guess is that he would get a better deal from Directv than a retailer including whatever their offer is for new subs. If they want to send an installer why would he care, they would install them for free.

I know what he can get for free, I'm just wondering if DirecTV is going to require someone to come out. It's really just a timing thing, it'll be at least 8 days before he could be there for an installer, vs. UPS dropping off some boxes in the carport and I can come over one evening and connect the receivers.

I know what he can get for free, I'm just wondering if DirecTV is going to require someone to come out. It's really just a timing thing, it'll be at least 8 days before he could be there for an installer, vs. UPS dropping off some boxes in the carport and I can come over one evening and connect the receivers.

He can ask, I've never been able to get them to ship me a receiver but other people have.

You are asking two or three questions,

1. Will Directv open a new account for your brother? If yes....THEN
2. What can you get for free?....Installation, receivers (leased), contractual committment of X years.
3. Can your brother just go out and buy equipment? ...Probably but why?

As far as avoiding an installer arriving to work on your system, I would just let that happen. See who they send. Interview the tech (briefly). If he seems knowledgeable just follow him as he works. You could learn something. If he seems lost....take over and show him what you want by doing it.

Leave some change and a few singles out in plain sight.....if it moves throw him out.
If the money is still there and he has cooperated with you pass him a few twenties.

Joe

I know that my brother can get an account. And I know what he can get for free. I am not worried about the workmanship of the installation, the point is we don't need an install, there's already a SWM-5 LNB dish installed and coax run to each TV from when I moved out. It'll be about 8 days before my brother could be there for an install, whereas I don't mind going down there at 8PM to hook up a few boxes. I just want to know if I can order from a retailer like solid signal and get the boxes shipped to us and still get the standard new customer deal.

I'm sure if you called a local dealer they would be more than willing to get that done for you. Don't waste your time calling the national number you are going to need a local guy for this one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)