New Directv Set-up, Looking for Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't really want a DVR in the bedroom so I will just keep my HR24 in the family room and the genie in the living room. That should be plenty of hard drive space for me. I won't be having the genie record things it thinks I like - I will be turning that feature off.

I was a little disappointed at the on demand selection compared to netflix. Even the TV shows I found didn't include all the episodes for a season which I thought was really strange. Not sure if I will use that or stick with netflix for 8 bucks.

Many do both.
D*'s On Demand isn't meant to be as in depth as a Netflix or Hulu.

I have noticed that most of NBC on demand is finally hd. ABC and CBS on demand still sd.

Installed today. 1 hr44 and 3 wired clients. Kept my HR24. Got the new remotes which now control tv and d* stuff.

Only 2 minor issues. One was resolved with connecting the HR24 to my network. Had to manually set the ip address, etc. The other issue is not yet resolved. On my tv that has the HR44, when I hit info, the info items are off the screen on both the right and left. Not sure yet how to fix that.

I got to remove alot of cable since only one line is needed to each DVR. He also deactivated a few of mine lines in to improve the signal.

Sounds like the tv has the picture set in zoom mode.

I'd personally go with a HD-DVR on each TV rather than a Genie and clients, if the Genie fails you're totally without TV on all TV's until it gets fixed.

Installed today. 1 hr44 and 3 wired clients. Kept my HR24. Got the new remotes which now control tv and d* stuff.

Only 2 minor issues. One was resolved with connecting the HR24 to my network. Had to manually set the ip address, etc. The other issue is not yet resolved. On my tv that has the HR44, when I hit info, the info items are off the screen on both the right and left. Not sure yet how to fix that.

I got to remove alot of cable since only one line is needed to each DVR. He also deactivated a few of mine lines in to improve the signal.

Sounds like the tv has the picture set in zoom mode.
Or stretched.

Check the TV remote first and then the recvr for the correct settings.
When your on a HD channel that is showing HD, the screen should be filled and you should be able to clearly see the channel logo on the screen. (provided they have a logo on screen)

Or stretched.

Check the TV remote first and then the recvr for the correct settings.
When your on a HD channel that is showing HD, the screen should be filled and you should be able to clearly see the channel logo on the screen. (provided they have a logo on screen)

If it was stretched it wouldn't exceed the screen, but zoomed will.

The tv picture itself is fine (it is set at 16:9 standard). Any yes the tv channel logo's are appearing fine.

It's only the info button menu that is of the screen. Everything else like the Menu, List, and Guide are fine.

I'm leaning towards the genie being the issue. Either way it's not a big deal - I never use that menu anyway.

I'd personally go with a HD-DVR on each TV rather than a Genie and clients, if the Genie fails you're totally without TV on all TV's until it gets fixed.

Does the genie fail much? I never experienced a DVR failure that I can remember- until my HR22 started over heating.

I am not a hardcore TV watcher except for NFL.

The tv picture itself is fine (it is set at 16:9 standard). Any yes the tv channel logo's are appearing fine.

It's only the info button menu that is of the screen. Everything else like the Menu, List, and Guide are fine.

I'm leaning towards the genie being the issue. Either way it's not a big deal - I never use that menu anyway.

That's weird that the only issue is with the info button. I have no clue then!

DRD 486's? You don't have old equipment. You have ancient artifacts.
Those receivers were made 15 years ago.
I remember using them myself. And installing tons of them during the Primestar conversion to Directv days

Check your TV's aspect ratio settings.
You should see Theater. Theater wide. Normal. Etc....Find a channel with graphics like ESPN or FS 1 that shows a score crawl. Set the TV's video setting so that the graphics are visible on screen. Not 'cut off' in any way.
Make sure you have your tv set to 720p, for example.
Standard def programming is best viewed in 480p

DRD 486's? You don't have old equipment. You have ancient artifacts.
Those receivers were made 15 years ago.
I remember using them myself. And installing tons of them during the Primestar conversion to Directv days

Haha, makes me wonder, would DirecTV activate a old Hughes, Sony, or RCA I can find at GoodWill?

They won't activate a box that uses the MPG guide, but they will activate the APG type. An RCA DRD420 is an MPG type.

They won't activate a box that uses the MPG guide, but they will activate the APG type. An RCA DRD420 is an MPG type.

The Hughes units were in the same generation, so I'm doubting they would even think about it.

Much slower processing speed, can't handle much of the applications in use in todays recvrs.

I'm gonna say, No they won't activate it.

Is there way to change the on demand settings so that I only see items that are free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)