New DISH Anywhere iOS app released- includes new UI & PiP

That was my original streamer I had, was very solid....I used it 11 years ago....They shut down everything a long time ago, they posted it on their web site as no longer supporting anything...
Yup; it was. Supposedly it should still work on our LANs to 5 target PCs... I found their PC app invaluable to record stuff, followed by a quick edit with an app whose name escapes me at the moment (for automatically editing out commercials).

I should have stated the my experience with the new DA is on Android. I will also say that I like that in progress (and, therefore, completed) DVR recordings show up in the DVR tab only a few minutes later, which is much better than before when DVR recordings would not show up in DA DVR tab for hours or even a full day!

I wish there was. Roku app.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Sorry, I dumped Roku years ago and have been very pleased with Fire TV's far better performance--and Fire TV has both the DA and Sling Player apps. :). I forgot to add that Roku is the odd bird, and more than a few companies pass on Roku because it is cheaper to just focus in coding for iOS and Adroid (for which Fire TV is forked Android). Yes, Sling Player app WAS on Roku, but it was then no longer functional for the last few years, I believe, but the Roku experience required a mobile device to control all functions of the Sling Player app on Roku, and that was an inferior experience compared to the Fire TV Sling Player app experience, and I doubt Dish is gonna spend the extra $$ coding for Roku PLUS the money Roku would want to allow the DA app on its pucks, the odd bird with extra coding costs, but that is the case for a growing number of companies: iOS and Android, and moving on from Roku.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
By the way, did anybody figure out why the Slingbox was discontinued, and the servers will be shut down in 2022? I don't buy the official explanation.
I forgot the official explanation, but I do recall the in my mind/opinion Dish (Charlie) does not want to spend one Penney of server costs for Slingbox because there just aren't enough people using it and/or not enough revenue from ads to pay for the server costs, since everyone seems to have fled to the streaming services like Netflix for content or use the cable co. streaming solutions which don't need a Slingbox.

Also, since Dish still owns the patents on Sling Media tech and still uses it for some channels to stream from the Hopper and all the DVR recordings on a Hopper over DA to the remote viewer, Charlie has no interest in just letting Slingbox tech go open source and allow the return of Slingbox back to its original scheme of no servers involved (which are used for the purpose of injecting advertising), just a direct connection between Slingbox and the remote/mobile device. And since Sling Media tech is superior to other streamers, and since Dish still uses that tech for DA, Charlie would not want competitors (cable, DirecTV, TiVo, etc.) to use the superior Sling Media tech instead of their own streaming solutions.

So, Dish just does not care, so they will just end it for all time, it seems.

Alas, I would hope, but I doubt it. Most people in remote locations stream from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. and NOT from their DVR's at home anymore. :(
Your probably right, but a perfect example is I subscribe to MLB season ticket....My last 2 phones are high end Samsung's and no matter how many times I contact them I cant get them to fix it to go into landscape mode...Nothing like watching a ball game on a 2"x1" screen...this has gone on 3 years...Great you can stream a game, but would be nice to be able to watch without glasses?

Your probably right, but a perfect example is I subscribe to MLB season ticket....My last 2 phones are high end Samsung's and no matter how many times I contact them I cant get them to fix it to go into landscape mode...Nothing like watching a ball game on a 2"x1" screen...this has gone on 3 years...Great you can stream a game, but would be nice to be able to watch without glasses?
My Samsung Galaxy A51 running Android 11 switches to landscape with no problems when streaming. Which model do you have? Is the problem only with the MLB app?

Reactions: charlesrshell
My Samsung Galaxy A51 running Android 11 switches to landscape with no problems when streaming. Which model do you have? Is the problem only with the MLB app?
Was a 9 plus, and note 10....something that simple

UGGH! I've heard how a few phones can so this sort of stuff. Perhaps they will send an upgrade of the latest Android and that may fix it. The high end Samsung's are supposed to get like at least 3 (THREE--maybe 4?) Android version upgrades during its life. I do feel you pain.

My DA on my iPhone is telling me that I have no recordings in my DVR and Prime Time Anytime says I either don't have it set up or I have no recordings. Neither is true. Timers does show all of the timers and daily schedules. The guide is also correct and up to date. Not sure why the DVR isn't working on DA, but that would be upsetting if I were out somewhere and wanted to watch a recorded program. Anyone else seeing that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)