New dish user stuck in starting mode

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
Hello, this looks like an interesting site for our situation. We switched from Direct to Dish on July 12. Ordered the Dish DVR (622?) but when the installer showed up he said they were out and installed the 322 until what we ordered comes in. Since then we have had 4 appointments at about 10 day intervals with each time the installing part of the equation canceling because they did not have the DVR yet in stock. Unfortunately the unit they did install does not operate at all. It is for 2 tvs but continually will go from a green light and a blue light on the front of the receiver when it works to suddenly a strange sound and the signal is lost. If we unplug and wait a while it might come back on again or not. The Directv units we had never gave us a problem so we really don't know much about how to trouble shoot this. My wife and son want to kill me over this so any ideas would be appreciated. Not at home until this evening but did get this chance at work to post. Thanks for any ideas, and this ends our first message.

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
Hello, this looks like an interesting site for our situation. We switched from Direct to Dish on July 12. Ordered the Dish DVR (622?) but when the installer showed up he said they were out and installed the 322 until what we ordered comes in. Since then we have had 4 appointments at about 10 day intervals with each time the installing part of the equation canceling because they did not have the DVR yet in stock. Unfortunately the unit they did install does not operate at all. It is for 2 tvs but continually will go from a green light and a blue light on the front of the receiver when it works to suddenly a strange sound and the signal is lost. If we unplug and wait a while it might come back on again or not. The Directv units we had never gave us a problem so we really don't know much about how to trouble shoot this. My wife and son want to kill me over this so any ideas would be appreciated. Not at home until this evening but did get this chance at work to post. Thanks for any ideas, and this ends our first message.

I'm not the biggest fan of receiver substitutions due to shortages. This example is exactly why I adhere to that attitude. Even if you schedule a service call, more than likely the technician will only bring a 322 to replace the current one (assuming that's the problem). Regardless...bypass the local office that you're dealing with...explain the complete situation to them. Somehow...someway you're not only going to have to get your system working, but you'll need the correct receiver as well.

Just my two-cents.

8bitbytes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
NoVA

Please forward your issue to ceo (at) echostar dot com

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
update

We did receive a phone call from yesterday from someone at Echostar who promised to contact the installers and help us with our installation. He also said we should not pay for our service until it is up and running with no problems. The install is set for Aug 19 so hope that goes well. Will update at that time. Again thanks for your help.

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If its a "metallic" whiny noise, try disconnecting the sat in wire and see if it goes away. Your issue sounds like a coax that is shorted out by possibly a poorly made up connector. Start checking the wire at all connections until you find the shorted out one. You can use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove any braids that are wrapped around the center conductor. Look with a very discerning eye as it likely a braid that isn't making good contact otherwise you would have a permanent outage.

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
Good suggestion

Thanks for that suggestion. The stray wire possibility is a definite thing to look into when I get some time. The installer went so fast connecting everything that maybe that could have happened. I was going to ask the next installer on Tuesday (Aug 19 we hope) to do something like check all connections. Since it is so random when the signal goes out it seemed to me that there is a short happening somewhere. Thanks again. Satellite Guys is a great site.

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
still stuck

Last night at 7 pm the installers called to cancel our appt again. Real nice, I already had the day off at work arranged and now for no reason. This AM the 19th we called the CEO contact at Echostar. Now the plan is they will send us directly the 622 receiver for me to do the switchout myself. Still worried about the loss of signal thing but guess I will learn from experience how the whole system goes together. At least the satellite is on our roof and we have to take it from there. Any good sources of info on how to connect the 622?

JimK2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 2, 2006
Any good sources of info on how to connect the 622?

Just like the 322, two coax in and one coax out that goes to TV2

Once it is hooked up you can tune to channel 101 to verify its working then call 1-800-333-3474 to activate

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
next step

Yesterday we got a big box with a VIP 622 inside. Probably won't get a chance to start to hook it up until Saturday but will try the suggestions posted here to proceed. Seems a lot bigger than the 322 unit it will replace. Maybe the lost signal thing will go away when it is up and running. If not will then have to try to find the reason for the loss of signal that has happened all along. Thanks again.

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
Probably last post on this thread. We did receive the 622 DVR and I installed it with no problems per the help I received in this blog. Unfortunately it lost the signal about 3 hours after activation and 2 days later (today 9/2/08) it still only has a fan motor running and nothing else. I give up, wife wants to kill me and that is better than what my son wants to do. 6 weeks into this and we are still where we started - lots of bills and the tv don't work. Ack. Happy Labor day everyone and I think I will be buying a new tripod for our rooftop antenna this weekend!

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Keep your ceo contact apprised of the situation. Even if you don't get immediate relief, hopefully the subcontractor will experience some of what your son is thinking about from very high places.

The initial install was botched and they need to get someone who is paying attention to repair/redo it.

melreejr

Aug 7, 2008
St Louisville, OH
Today we asked our ceo contact to cancel the whole thing and hopefully that does it for this episode for us. "harshness" is correct in that the initial install was botched and for whatever reason we could not get the installers to realize that and help us. I use to live in Portland and would love be there today or maybe over in Newport. "Talk to the hand"