New Firmware: YouTube issue resolved

and what about the other even more important problems!!, like no CC , no PVR schedule recording properly working , no High bitrate recording playing ok and so on?. anyone who has az azbox probably has a PC or laptop so they can watch you tube if they wanted, heck they can even probably connect them to their flat panel tvs and watch you tube there.

guess I'll keep mine as is. The ethernet port is blown out of mine so youtube is irrelevant on the azbox ;)

thats a major bummer. is it electrical or mechanical damage? Would a USB ethernet adapter work? you're going to want to have ethernet access for E2 install.

So far no new glitches but for those who do not know how to update here is what they should do.

Updating your Azbox using a USB Stick.

These directions will not change any settings you have made to your Azbox except your fonts and start up logo if you changed them from factory defaults.

First download the upgrade file from the internet to your computer.

The file name should have the extension of ‘patch.bin’

Now load the file to your USB Stick that was formatted in the FAT file system.
(My USB stick was formatted before using Fat32)

Turn on your Azbox and go to any channel that you can receive programming on.
Then insert the USB stick into the receiver.
Now hit the ‘Home’ button on your remote and go to settings:: system info,:: firmware upgrade:: then arrowed to ‘USB’.
Press ‘OK’ to start the upgrade.
If the Azbox says failed try pressing ‘OK’ again.
I had to do this twice but on the third time the Azbox saw the file and I pressed ok again and the upgrade menu did come on my Azbox.
(The second Azbox saw the file right away so YMMV here.)
The picture may go completely blank for about 15-20 seconds.
While you are in the upgrade screen DO NOT power off the receiver.
The receiver will / should reboot on it's own after the upgrade is completed.
When it completes the reboot process it should come on to the last channel you were on.
After the TV comes on remove the USB stick from the Azbox.
I did notice that my channel's were grayed out but all I needed to do was to go to my channel screen and since I was using the satellite menu of that screen highlighted the satellite I was on and all my channels then came back in white not gray.
(Another receiver did not have this problem with the channel list).
I did check and since I had North Americanized my list that did not change and all my settings were the same as before the upgrade.
(No Eastern Satellites appeared in the receiver since I had deleted those before.)
Now when you go into Settings>System Information, the firmware should show the new firmware number.

If you have changed your Fonts or Boot Logo screen these settings will be undone and your Azbox will return these settings to factory default.
(Tune Azbox fixed that back to the way I had it before the update)

You Tube does work fine with this upgrade and so far I have not noticed any other differences.

Interesting that a "youtube fix" pushes the update from version 0.9.50** to a 0.9.52**
There must be more than just that! (one would think)

thats a major bummer. is it electrical or mechanical damage? Would a USB ethernet adapter work? you're going to want to have ethernet access for E2 install.

I think electical because the IP address shows all 0's even if the ethernet is hooked up
I got it off Ebay for dirt cheap and that's the only issue. Since mine is "slaved" to a fixed C-Band dish at 99W and lines from both motorized setups it does what I need it to do. Show HD & 4:2:2 feeds :)

I think electical because the IP address shows all 0's even if the ethernet is hooked up
I got it off Ebay for dirt cheap and that's the only issue. Since mine is "slaved" to a fixed C-Band dish at 99W and lines from both motorized setups it does what I need it to do. Show HD & 4:2:2 feeds :)

ICE,

Your Ethernet is not hosed just because it shows all zeros for the IP/gateway/DNS etc. That just means that it has never been set up or the last owner erased all that data.

Connect it to your router and select DHCP/WIRED and then highlight SETUP and press OK. It should log itself in and fill in the blanks for you. Then REBOOT the box.
OR, select STATIC/WIRED and enter all the data manually - if you know what they all should be, then highlight SETUP and press OK. Then reboot the box.

If your router has been set up with encryption, your AZBox will tell you so and prompt you to enter the pass code for the type of encryption used. You should know that as it is the pass code that you set up yourself.

If you don't have WiFi capabilities, your menu scheme might appear differently than what I see, but the process should be the same overall.

Your data entries should look something like...

IP ADDRESS 192.168.1.102
SUBNET 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY 192.168.1.1
DNS1 XX.XXX.XXX.XXX

The DNS1 address will be that which your internet provider assigns to you or THEIR gateway for your account with them. That's the one that should remain PRIVATE.
The rest are LAN addressing and pretty much the same (generically speaking) for everyone's system.

The DNS2 address can just be ignored unless you subscribe to two different internet providers. The second one is like a back-up if you have one.

If the SETUP function returns a SUCCESSFUL result, then reboot and come back to this menu and run the speed check. If that is successful, then go to the LANGUAGE/TIME menu and select AUTO/SYNCHRONIZE as INTERNET and press OK. If the time (clock) results in a "TIME SYNCHRONIZED SUCCESSFULLY" message, then your ethernet connection is working and you are connected to the internet. You should probably be connected to your LAN as well, but there may be other parameters to test to ensure this. You might have a different firewall concern to deal with there.

RADAR

Iceberg bought that busted Elite from me, after the ethernet port quit working. I'd say it is electrically disabled. There is a small chip near the rj-45 port that is a little dark in color, and that MAY be the culprit. I tried a number of usb based solutions to try to get it working , but none worked. I've seen some German solutions for wireless on the elite, but they all involve loading custom drivers, and system tweaks that are impossible once the networking is disabled. Can't load the network drivers without network access to the box...... :( .

Firmware Update:
After installing the firmware, I wanted to see if it fixed youtube, and yes, it does! Additionally, I wanted to know if it fixed my issues with GBN on 72.0w. From the beginning when I would go to GBN on 72.0w it would take a while for the video to start. Then, it would take quite a while longer for the sound to start. Even then, it would stutter for quite some time. My old Coolsat 6000 had the same issue, only for just a little while.
Now, I am pleased to report that the firmware has fixed this issue! When I go to GBN almost immediately the station begins to play, and with the sound. Additionally, all stations, satellites, when selected appear to be slightly more responsive! Azbox rocks!

Very uneventful update here.. no issues, and Utube works. I agree channels are a wee bit quicker to change especially the high bitrate HD.
-C.

Iceberg bought that busted Elite from me, after the ethernet port quit working. I'd say it is electrically disabled. There is a small chip near the rj-45 port that is a little dark in color, and that MAY be the culprit. I tried a number of usb based solutions to try to get it working , but none worked. I've seen some German solutions for wireless on the elite, but they all involve loading custom drivers, and system tweaks that are impossible once the networking is disabled. Can't load the network drivers without network access to the box...... :( .

Brent and Ice,

I understand. Darn, I had hoped that I was going to be of help there with my post.

By the way, there is a way to get into the system by bypassing the network port (like JTAGing) using a USB to UART/TTL adapter. There is a connector on the main board where you can connect to do this. But, it sounds a bit involved. I have the adapter on order (just to have it available for the future). But, I won't take any more time to explain it here as to not detract from the theme of the original post any further.

RADAR

I did check and since I had North Americanized my list that did not change and all my settings were the same as before the upgrade.
(No Eastern Satellites appeared in the receiver since I had deleted those before.)

Changed my mind, and did the update. While my satellite list (DVBS.dat) did not change in /DISK2 (the "working area"), it did replace the back-up one in /DISK1/DISK2_backup with one including the Eastern satellites. A quick telnet command and FTP (as written in AZ Guide Version 2.4) of my original file fixed that.

Interesting that a "youtube fix" pushes the update from version 0.9.50** to a 0.9.52**
There must be more than just that! (one would think)

Comfrey,

Indeed, there is more. As they develope a "daily" snapshot as it is so called, they test it first and if it doesn't work out, they retire the number and save the file as an archive and move on to the next. They don't release a daily firmware if it fails to do something they were working on. No sense making it available if it isn't any better. Therefore, the 0.9.5209 is proabably identical to 0.9.5020 with the youtube fix. All the missing version numbers in between were probably deemed not worthy to present to the public. They might also have certain other means to track the firmware version numbers, such as a specialized date coding technique.

RADAR

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)