New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just re read what he said. He said that he was a pirate but got out of it when the laws changed. Well if he was in it before the laws changed, how was he a pirate? Back when the FCC said the airwaves are owned by the people, there was no such thing as piracy. There was no law defining a pirate. Now once things started getting scrambled, there was a game. Remember captian kaos and HBO? That guy over rode the signal with his own message. Transmission was a problem but reception was not at that time. Anyway if anyone was watching signals, scrambled or not, they were not breaking any law. Once the law changed, then there were piracy issues. According to Wayne-o, he got out of it when the law changed. So in my book, he is not a pirate per say. He was just an individual that used a loophole in the law to watch tv. That's the way I see it. Kinda like speeding. Is one really speeding at 100 mph if there is no speed set by law? You can say that one speeds, but it's not breaking the law since there is no law to break. Even Charlie Ergan from Dish net has said he used to "pirate" signals in his day. Look where Charlie is today. Have a great day! :)

I think ur referring to Captain Midnight,John R. MacDougall an uplink engineer who jammed HBO 's satellite signal in 1986..

I think ur referring to Captain Midnight,John R. MacDougall an uplink engineer who jammed HBO 's satellite signal in 1986..

That's the guy! All I could think of was Kaos for some reason. I couldn't remember for the life of me as the cobwebs get thicker the older one gets... ;)

Sounds like he was doing it legally before they made it illegal. He wants to make channels available legally and believes that people should have the right to receive channels for free.

One of the links on the site (maybe more than one but one for sure) under the FTA support section is to what looks to be a pirate site. Actually quite a few of them look that way.
Seems a little suspect there too.
IMO if it sounds too good to be true, it is. I would like nothing more than for it to be true though! Sounds like a great lineup.

I think it is a sad commentary on our society that people, especially on this site, think that ad supported, free tv is too good to be true. This is the way tv is supposed to be. This is why commercials exist.

The folks putting this together appear to have decided to become content providers so that they can control the content, providing family friendly programming and hunting shows among other things. There is no secret agenda here. There is a very public agenda. That is the "catch" that you folks are looking for.

Advertising on pirate sites? Encouraging pirates to watch tv legally? Why aren't we all doing that?

I think it is a sad commentary on our society that people, especially on this site, think that ad supported, free tv is too good to be true. This is the way tv is supposed to be. This is why commercials exist.

The folks putting this together appear to have decided to become content providers so that they can control the content, providing family friendly programming and hunting shows among other things. There is no secret agenda here. There is a very public agenda. That is the "catch" that you folks are looking for.

Advertising on pirate sites? Encouraging pirates to watch tv legally? Why aren't we all doing that?

well said.

crackt out,.

It is the fact that they list links to the pirate sites under the "FTA help" section that I object to. Sites which are still actively advertising and or selling TV theft devices. And a guy who admits to pirating in his past and still has ties (even if they are implied)to known hack sites even if it is just for advertising. This does not look good for the company IMO..........just saying.

You are correct, it is a VERY sad commentary on our society...but a very true one!

It is an absolutely fabulous idea and I would support it 100% by actually telling people about it and extolling it's virtues. There are people that I know I could convince to give it a shot, especially those who already have most of the equipment necessary to receive it. But until I can bring someone to my house, sit them down and show them the channels (among the others already available FTA) and assure them that it is not all junk with way too many commercials, I'm not going to jump up and down about it. Even with it being free though I'm sure there are people who will ask if they can get some premium movie channel or other mainstream stuff for free. If they can't they wouldn't bother putting up another dish. I don't consider myself a cynic but more of a realist. I have seen the changes in society just since I was a kid and I know the mentality we are up against. I am also surprised the pizza pan guys have even let it get this far.
The commercials we are subjected to on most pay tv channels really are a kick in the teeth when it is they that are supposed to be paying for what we're watching. Unfortunately there are always idiots who are willing to pay for such channels.

Having said all that, I really do hope it comes to fruition. I would love to convert some pirates and help others get legitimate free TV that the whole family can enjoy. I would even love to install it on the side and sell receivers and dishes locally. Even more, I would love to see it have an impact on the bottom line of cable, pizza dish and any other programming provider who is taking way more than their fair share!

It is the fact that they list links to the pirate sites under the "FTA help" section that I object to. Sites which are still actively advertising and or selling TV theft devices. And a guy who admits to pirating in his past and still has ties (even if they are implied)to known hack sites even if it is just for advertising. This does not look good for the company IMO..........just saying.

You are correct, it is a VERY sad commentary on our society...but a very true one!

It is an absolutely fabulous idea and I would support it 100% by actually telling people about it and extolling it's virtues. There are people that I know I could convince to give it a shot, especially those who already have most of the equipment necessary to receive it. But until I can bring someone to my house, sit them down and show them the channels (among the others already available FTA) and assure them that it is not all junk with way too many commercials, I'm not going to jump up and down about it. Even with it being free though I'm sure there are people who will ask if they can get some premium movie channel or other mainstream stuff for free. If they can't they wouldn't bother putting up another dish. I don't consider myself a cynic but more of a realist. I have seen the changes in society just since I was a kid and I know the mentality we are up against. I am also surprised the pizza pan guys have even let it get this far.
The commercials we are subjected to on most pay tv channels really are a kick in the teeth when it is they that are supposed to be paying for what we're watching. Unfortunately there are always idiots who are willing to pay for such channels.

Having said all that, I really do hope it comes to fruition. I would love to convert some pirates and help others get legitimate free TV that the whole family can enjoy. I would even love to install it on the side and sell receivers and dishes locally. Even more, I would love to see it have an impact on the bottom line of cable, pizza dish and any other programming provider who is taking way more than their fair share!

lest we forget a pirate site sent me email becuz i am a member here. direct links are different. but money talks. tranponder fees cost real money. anyone who is trying harder than i am to uplink any free tv for me is good in my books. i still and will always believe if i pay for tv i am not paying to be advertised to. if it is free then even a 50/50 mix is acceptable.

crackt out,.

I agree!

It is no doubt tough for any new company in any field but a satellite TV based company who's only revenue is advertising......whew the odds are staggering! Advertising dollars are much harder to come by in the current economy. I can understand the need to spread the word far and wide but I'm still not convinced that any connection to a pirate site in any form is a good idea. Makes the company look pretty shady right from the get go.........anyone who is curious, as I was will be looking at all aspects of their website for info. After looking at and liking the channel lineup it was one of the next things I looked at.

If people are so worried about this guys past and his association with piracy, then everyone can put the same "test" to dishnet and cancel their subs. Charlie Ergan was a pirate in his day too.
A standard that gets applied to one should be applied to all. One can even make the case that Dishnet is still in the "piracy" business from their recent loss to Tivo as it appears to the courts that they Pirated the Tivo technology. People need to get real. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against that point of view about piracy. What I have a problem with is people that have two sets of standards. One pirate is alright to sub with, (dishnet,) and one is to be watched and avioded. (freedbs)according to the tone that I saw by the last couple of posts. If one talks the talk, then walk the walk. Not doing so simply takes from ones credibility. Even this forum seems to be a little with the pirates. I cite the fact that we are not allowed to discuss any feeds in the open. We must belong to a closed circle. Well if everything we do here is on the up and up then, 1. We could talk about feeds found in the open forums, and 2. The sat providers would not scramble upon reading such info. Look at what happened to the recent Speed feeds. We all knew that if they found out we were getting them they would start scrambling. So what does that make us? We too pirate in our own little way. We are putting our toes on the line. So let us be fair and apply the same standards to everyone. If one pirate is bad then they all are bad. If one is talking bad about freedbs because of past pirate history, then cancel the Dishnet sub because he was a Pirate also. Have a great day. :)

I just call them as I see them. ;) If I missread, I apoligize...

All of this will be totally irrelevant if they start broadcasting. If you find a new channel on 97w do you look up the source and do a criminal background check on the persons providing it? No. You do the "I found a new channel, woo hoo", dance. Then you look at the show that is on and either watch it or not.

I hope the folks running it have a thick skin and remember that there is no such thing as bad press. 52 pages of discussion and still going strong.

What's the scoop with them looking for hunting and video footage?

I have some pretty entertaining stuff from Canada that we shot. Nothing edited yet. Do you think they want a finished product?

If people are so worried about this guys past and his association with piracy, then everyone can put the same "test" to dishnet and cancel their subs. Charlie Ergan was a pirate in his day too.
A standard that gets applied to one should be applied to all. One can even make the case that Dishnet is still in the "piracy" business from their recent loss to Tivo as it appears to the courts that they Pirated the Tivo technology. People need to get real. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against that point of view about piracy. What I have a problem with is people that have two sets of standards. One pirate is alright to sub with, (dishnet,) and one is to be watched and avioded. (freedbs)according to the tone that I saw by the last couple of posts. If one talks the talk, then walk the walk. Not doing so simply takes from ones credibility. Even this forum seems to be a little with the pirates. I cite the fact that we are not allowed to discuss any feeds in the open. We must belong to a closed circle. Well if everything we do here is on the up and up then, 1. We could talk about feeds found in the open forums, and 2. The sat providers would not scramble upon reading such info. Look at what happened to the recent Speed feeds. We all knew that if they found out we were getting them they would start scrambling. So what does that make us? We too pirate in our own little way. We are putting our toes on the line. So let us be fair and apply the same standards to everyone. If one pirate is bad then they all are bad. If one is talking bad about freedbs because of past pirate history, then cancel the Dishnet sub because he was a Pirate also. Have a great day. :)

I just call them as I see them. ;) If I missread, I apoligize...

My point was that if I were starting a new, legit FTA service I would not have multiple links to websites that sell, support or advertise equipment used for the theft of television service in my "help" section. Dish network does not have links to pirate sites from their website.
I think we are splitting hairs a bit here. If a signal is not encrypted to begin with then there is nothing illegal done when you watch it. If you have to buy special equipment designed for the sole purpose of un-encrypting encrypted satellite signals (stealing TV) it is illegal. Plain and simple.
How we happen to stumble upon unencrypted/open feeds is not relevant.

My point was that if I were starting a new, legit FTA service I would not have multiple links to websites that sell, support or advertise equipment used for the theft of television service in my "help" section. Dish network does not have links to pirate sites from their website.
I think we are splitting hairs a bit here. If a signal is not encrypted to begin with then there is nothing illegal done when you watch it. If you have to buy special equipment designed for the sole purpose of un-encrypting encrypted satellite signals (stealing TV) it is illegal. Plain and simple.
How we happen to stumble upon unencrypted/open feeds is not relevant.

many of these sites have many members, most if not all of these members have some, if not all of the equipment required to view their programming.
people who are not pirates are only part of the consumers available to use this service.
with these sites, they are reaching people that they would not reach here.
imho, it only makes sense that they try to get the biggest customer base that they possibly can.
and on the pirate issue, a thought comes to mind, if they only deal with non-pirates, they are preaching to the quire.
why not try to reach others as well.
my $.02,
Denny

If I remember correctly didn't he have a bunch of hacked Videocypher units seized at one time that he was planning on selling?

I think if we look closely at ourselves we will find out that most of us were pirates of some sort at one time or another. We have all tried to beat the system of one thing or another at at least one time in our lives and I am not just talking about satellite television eaither.

Yes its been pointed out to me that a some of these people involved with this project have had a sorted past, I have talked with a number of people about this including sponsors.

And in talking I think we all agreed that we should continue to support the project since it is working to further the cost of true free to air satellite.

If making true FTA better for everyone and it helps to bring more to true FTA then thats a great thing. Lets work on this project with those goals in mind and lets leave the past in the past, after all, l ike I said before we were all pirates at one time or another.

Long live true FTA.

If you find a new channel on 97w do you look up the source and do a criminal background check on the persons providing it? No. You do the "I found a new channel, woo hoo", dance. Then you look at the show that is on and either watch it or not.

:up:up I agree

The only time I remember someone doing that was the guy who had the transponder on Amazonas 1 (61W) and was showing some anti-american propaganda channel and the feds shut him down :)

I am simply staying on the same standard as what I stated above. Dish don't have any links to Direct either on their site. The hair was already split and not by me. I simply pointed that out. Just because I am new here, don't mean crap. I have been in this hobby for close to 15 years now. I also know that feed info is public knowlege for those of us in the know. All I was saying about that was if it is totally legal and not a "grey" area, Why hide info that is all over the net? Again I am not after anyone here, I just do not understand the "keep it mum," and the "How we find feeds is not relevant" point of view. Sounds like legalities being concealed as the feed info is already out there in several sites. Even "legal" sites. I cite Ricks forum as an example. Like i said above I apoligise if I misstook anything. But I still don't see the relevance to the past as far as Freedbs is concerned. I went to those sites and looked myself. They all have true FTA forums. I belong to a few. I do not however take part in any of the Pirate stuff. I do like to read the "guess who got popped this week" threads. Those can be quite entertaining at times. Anyways, no hard feelings I hope as I am not looking for a fight. I agree with you that there is a message that could be taken from an association with a "pirate" site. But I am also fully aware that the number of "non pitare" fta sites could be counted on about one hand. Right now they need to get info out there. They can always adjust the links to in doubt sites at a later time. Who knows, they could very well convert some of those forums to become true FTA only. As for right now however, there is many former "pirates" that will not go the so called "weather forcaster" route. Advertising the way that Freedbs is at this time at those "pirate" sites, could very well bring on a ton of viewers. Have a great day my friends! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts