New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
[I just googled "Big Joe's Polka Show" and it took me to Youtube, seen some great Polka clips from the show. Do you know what state and city the show originates from?????

Mike Lib[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't know much about "Big Joe's Polka Show". I have seen parts of it while visiting my mom and dad but not much, they enjoy it alot.

Last edited:
Polka Joe goes wherever theres Czech and Polish polka music ie Wisconsin, Texas, Nebraska

I wish I could get RFD on Ku too

I don't know anything much about this but imho, as long as Freedbs isn't doing anything illegal Dish or Direct really can't do anything to them.
Not directly. Indirectly, they can pressure programming sources to not sign on to Free DBS. Or they can join them by offering a suite of FTA channels.

Transmission Date: TBA
Transponders: TBA
Requirements: FTA Satellite Receiver and 22 inch dish (minimum), (33 inch dish recommended).
Transmission foot print: North America, including Canada, United States and Mexico.

sounds like the international pkg LNB for dish network. 119w echo7 & 118.8w Anikf3

combo LNB?

Last edited:
I would imagine the next few weeks/months are going to be critical a make or break stage. A few big contracts are going to have to be signed and I imagine if some transponder leases are going to be finalized some big money is going to be involved.
I'll be watching developments over the next little while with interest and anticipated.

I would imagine the next few weeks/months are going to be critical a make or break stage. A few big contracts are going to have to be signed and I imagine if some transponder leases are going to be finalized some big money is going to be involved.
I'll be watching developments over the next little while with interest and anticipated.

I would really like to see them get the SyFy channel for their scifi channel. It's a commercial channel and it would be good for both. A main like channel SyFy or USA that is normally only on pay services would draw a lot more people then the networks most people can get in HD just by sticking an antenna up and getting a $60 converter box. And drawing viewers would boost the value of commercial space on all there channels. Same goes for SyFy. Getting on a FTA station would add value to their commercial space. As I understand it, they send out the feed with some of the commercial spots already used by SyFy. Adding an fta feed to their carriers raises the value of their space for all carriers.

Even getting Canada's Space channel would be nice. Last time I saw their program list, they had more scifi then Syfy which leans more towards horror and ... well the wrestling may be fiction, but it's not scifi. I'd like to see them dump wrestling.

Even getting Canada's Space channel would be nice.
Last time I saw their program list, they had more scifi then Syfy ...
I doubt either service has distribution agreements beyond the borders of their respective countries.
That alone could kill the idea.
BUT, I'll say that some years ago when I had both BEV and Dish, I made it a point to pull the best from both!
SyFi has gone downhill since, but the thought of getting both again, is interesting. :rolleyes:
We can but dream.

If they are able to get SyFy, they would likely also get USA. They are owned by the same company and last time I looked where paired for every ala cart option for c-band. Get one, you get the other. At least Hulu caries most of the good stuff from those two even if it is delayed a week.

What about adding all those local channels not just ABC, CBS and others, I'm talking about Univision, TVGlobo, etc. so those channels can be seen for free on mountains or regions in where you are far away from the cities so no antennas will work.

And what about HD?

For paid channels what would be cool to have Sports channels like ESPN, Fox, etc. you know the bad thing about DIsh and DirecTV is that you have to use their hardware so that to me is like if we can only choose Sharp branded televisions instead of looking for our needs.

What about adding all those local channels not just ABC, CBS and others, I'm talking about Univision, TVGlobo, etc. so those channels can be seen for free on mountains or regions in where you are far away from the cities so no antennas will work.

And what about HD?

For paid channels what would be cool to have Sports channels like ESPN, Fox, etc. you know the bad thing about DIsh and DirecTV is that you have to use their hardware so that to me is like if we can only choose Sharp branded televisions instead of looking for our needs.

Spanish programming is already everywhere and on almost every satellite available to almost anybody with FTA equipment, I think they will skip over those networks and concentrate on programming that will be attractive, unique and somewhat scarce or unavailable to the FTA people that have just one dish, bringing all of the good stuff together into one network without the need for a "dish farm" so to speak.

The major provider's do the same, they put it all together in one package of your choice based on subscription levels without requiring the consumer to plant 10, 20 or 30 dishes on their rooftops. That's another reason we subscriber's have to take out a second mortgage just to pay the bill.

Although I subscribe to DN for the wife, I'd rather invest in FTA equipment and build my own network of feeds, it's a hobby and it's fun. This new "FreeDBS" will do a lot of that work and more for us.

Last edited:
There is a March 22 Update

News Release: 3/22/2010

One of our board members spent most of the day Thursday, all day Friday and Saturday, then most of Sunday watching our cowboy channel video data player. Wayne also quickly got tired of watching a limited set of commercials that were placed in the database. The transition times between film, to commercials then back to film was close to instant, and saved us a few valuable seconds that was our first fears with the system. A few staff members were introduced to some of the in-house software designed to maintain the programming for the channels under control of Freedbs.org.

There have also been several interesting updates under the 'Time Line' column on the home page:

March 10th 2010: Board Meeting concerning advertising and uplink location.

March 18th 2010: Started inhouse equipment test.

March 21st 2010: Completed equipment test.

Spanish programming is already everywhere and on almost every satellite available to almost anybody with FTA equipment, I think they will skip over those networks and concentrate on programming that will be attractive, unique and somewhat scarce or unavailable to the FTA people that have just one dish, bringing all of the good stuff together into one network without the need for a "dish farm" so to speak.

The major provider's do the same, they put it all together in one package of your choice based on subscription levels without requiring the consumer to plant 10, 20 or 30 dishes on their rooftops. That's another reason we subscriber's have to take out a second mortgage just to pay the bill.

Although I subscribe to DN for the wife, I'd rather invest in FTA equipment and build my own network of feeds, it's a hobby and it's fun. This new "FreeDBS" will do a lot of that work and more for us.

Is already but in C band not in Ku band

Status
Please reply by conversation.