Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Passing along this info From DIRECTV.

New software is being released to Genie clients that includes customer-facing features. This download began the end of August and will take approximately 2 weeks to complete a national rollout.

The Details:

· Software download x750 for C31, C41 and C41W. Some of the visible improvements and features in the software versions include:

· A new "Connecting," "Wired Connection Lost" and "Wireless Connection Lost" OSD (On Screen Display).

· Recently introduced to Genie servers, HDMI Control will now launch on Genie clients. The feature enables set-top boxes to automatically turn on the customer's TV and select the proper input used by the DirecTV receiver.

Sadly I don't think there is much they can do software wise to make the client boxes run faster, every time I use one it feels clunky.

Reactions: Broe67
Awesome! Look forward to it. Any word on future updates for non-Genie models? Parents still have an HR24 & 2 D12's. Just curious.

· A new "Connecting," "Wired Connection Lost" and "Wireless Connection Lost" OSD (On Screen Display).

· Recently introduced to Genie servers, HDMI Control will now launch on Genie clients. The feature enables set-top boxes to automatically turn on the customer's TV and select the proper input used by the DirecTV receiver.

Any idea how these newly introduced screen bugs behave? Are they one time only? Persistent? Random? Can they be disabled?

I have already seeing "helpful" messages reminding me that my network is disconnected in my search screens, but no screen bugs have interrupted my programs yet.

You should not see these screens unless you are having a problem or happen to be watching the pairing during your initial install. Plz note only the 500 variations of the wireless clients have this right now.

You should not see these screens unless you are having a problem or happen to be watching the pairing during your initial install. Plz note only the 500 variations of the wireless clients have this right now.

To clarify, no network cable was present when I had it installed a couple months ago. Then like an idiot I had to try connecting it. Now that it is disconnected I just don't want to be seeing any new screen bugs during my programming.

To clarify, no network cable was present when I had it installed a couple months ago. Then like an idiot I had to try connecting it. Now that it is disconnected I just don't want to be seeing any new screen bugs during my programming.
What do you mean by network cable you should not be connecting an ethernet cable directly to any receiver.. not to mention there's no port on a client.

What do you mean by network cable you should not be connecting an ethernet cable directly to any receiver.. not to mention there's no port on a client.

Actually I meant that I don't want to see any new screen bugs on my Clients, due to the fact that I once connected and then disconnected a Cat-5 network cable to my HR44-500.

Lol well that's not something your supposed to do... the internet connection lost screen is different from the new screens being implemented. If you want to disable the internet messages on your main genie go to network setup restore defaults then reset all boxes.

Can't I connect my genie directly to an Ethernet cable coming off my router? I'm thinking this would be better than wireless.

Can't I connect my genie directly to an Ethernet cable coming off my router? I'm thinking this would be better than wireless.
No no no...

Yes and it would network all other receivers as well through Genie, without each receiver needing to be wired.

Nope also incorrect... this is not a supported install by directv and connection the ethernet port will disable the internal deca in the box and end up causing you more problems. You need a broadband deca with a swm 2 way if you want an ethernet connection vs wifi

Regardless it works, for me at least as i'm on unsupported mode WHS through router, but if you have supported equipment for WHS
Then keep it that way.

All that I have is the HR44 Genie and 2 clients, both C-41's. Why would I not be able to just connect my HR44 directly to my router? Is the only reason that the setup is not supported by Directv? I've read multiple posts where folks have done this (because wired is generally better than wireless) and have reported success with no negative impact on their system. Please let me know.

Connecting a ethernet cable directly to any receiver can disable the internal deca on the receiver which will cause mrv issues down the road. Engineering has changed the way all this works several times in the last year. The bottom line is when a directv technician tells you something is not advisable and can cause problems.. there's probably a good chance he's right. If you run a system test with ethernet connected you will probably generate a 77 code. Describing the error.

I guess I was confused because of earlier posts stating that this connection would work. In regards to paying attention to what a DirecTV tech recommends, I saw earlier posts by you supporting the method of connection that I was inquiring about. Your clarification that the engineers have coded this differently in the last year clears up my confusion.
Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk.

Status
Please reply by conversation.