New HD Channels for 10/17/07

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Are the cartoon channels really worth being broadcast in HD?

I mean, will cartoons actually be in HD, or will just the picture quality better? None of the Fox cartoons (Simpsons, KotH, Family Guy) are in HD, are they?

One of the Creators/Producers of The Venture Brothers, a show that's on [adult swim] on CN, said that the Venture Bros. will be in HD for it's 3rd season.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Oct 15, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is now offering 72 national HD channels - significantly more than any other television provider in the nation. This is the first wave in DIRECTV's unprecedented expansion of HD services that is building towards up to 100 HD channels by year-end(a).

"If you own a high-definition television, or are thinking about buying one, you can now watch your favorite channels in crystal-clear DIRECTV HD(TM)," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "The DIRECTV HD programming expansion that consumers have been waiting for has become a reality. We overwhelmingly lead the industry in terms of both quantity and quality of HD programming. There simply isn't a better television experience on the planet."

The full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, including the new channels, and details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com.

DIRECTV's current HD lineup includes:

-- A&E HD -- The History Channel HD-- Animal Planet HD -- HGTV-HD-- ABC HD NY (b) -- MGM HD-- ABC HD LA (b) -- MHD-- Big Ten Network HD -- National Geographic Channel HD-- Bravo HD -- NBC HD NY (b)-- Cartoon Network HD -- NBC HD LA (b)-- CBS HD NY (b) -- NESN HD-- CBS HD LA (b) -- NFL Network HD-- Cinemax HD East -- Sci-Fi Channel HD-- Cinemax HD West -- SHO Too HD-- CSN Chicago HD -- Showtime HD-- CSN Mid-Atlantic HD -- Showtime HD West-- CNBC HD+ -- Smithsonian Channel HD-- CNN HD -- Speed Channel HD-- Discovery Channel HD -- SportsNet New York HD-- ESPN HD -- Starz Comedy HD-- ESPN2 HD -- Starz Edge HD-- Food Network HD -- Starz HD East-- Fox HD NY (b) -- Starz HD West-- Fox HD LA (b) -- Starz Kids & Family HD-- Fox Business Network HD -- TBS in HD-- FSN Detroit HD -- The Movie Channel East HD-- FSN Prime Ticket HD -- The Science Channel HD-- FSN Southwest HD -- The Weather Channel HD-- FSN West HD -- TLC HD-- Fuel TV HD -- TNT HD-- FX HD -- Universal HD-- HBO HD East -- USA Network HD-- HBO HD West -- Versus HD/Golf Channel HD-- HD Theater -- YES HD-- HDNet -- HD PPV (8)-- HDNet Movies
DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $9.99 access fee, allowing them to receive DIRECTV's premier HD technology and all channels broadcast in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

Customers who want the ultimate HD experience can subscribe to the DIRECTV(R) HD EXTRA PACK for an additional $4.99 per month. This new addition of HD-only channels is for the true HD fan and includes: HDNet, HDNet Movies, Universal HD, MHD, Smithsonian HD and MGM HD.

In addition to the national HD channels listed above, DIRECTV also offers 245 local HD channels across 61 cities, representing more than 70 percent of U.S. TV Households.

The DIRECTV 11 satellite will be launched early next year to support further HD expansion. With the two satellites, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver 150 national HD channels and 1,500 local HD and digital channels in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

So now with the new channels comming today, any speculation what is on the horizon for Wednesday?
Hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing we won't see anything this Wednesday with the amount of stations we got today. If we do get something I'm guessing it would be a few more RSN's.

I'm also guessing they are holding off on NBA TV till the end of the month so it lights up right before the NBA season starts.

i heard last night from a directv supervisor that we have probably gotten our hd channels this week until next wednesday. sounds like the plan is to continue launching a few new rsn's (and other hd channels) every week into next year.

Whenever they start filming Formula I in HD. I don't believe any of the European races are in HD at this time.

Not true. There were several in HD this year (British, Australian, French Canadian, and United States were all HDTV.) Also, Bernie has mandated complete HD by 2009. I'm willing to bet 1/2 of the races will be in HD in 2008. SPEED just went HD, so keep your fingers crossed!

Not true. There were several in HD this year (British, Australian, French Canadian, and United States were all HDTV.) Also, Bernie has mandated complete HD by 2009. I'm willing to bet 1/2 of the races will be in HD in 2008. SPEED just went HD, so keep your fingers crossed!

Correction: D* just started carrying a version of Speed that is transmitted in HD. The channel itself, however, is not scheduled to upgrade until early next year, although there has been some speculation as to whether this applies only to studio productions or to live events as well...

This weekend will be the test for Speed. People think that NASCAR truck series racing will be in HD. I know I've seen racing highlights on ESPNHD that were in HD and had the Speed logo in the picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts