New HD Channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Personally I would be thrilled to get the Voom channels...they look pretty neat from their website. I get the national HD and 4 locals here in Atlanta, and well, I find that I've been watching all the old shows on Universal HD and a whole lot of Discovery HD. A lot of shows I wouldn't watch otherwise, because I don't like SD content...

And my AT-9 is just fine. Every now and then I get slight pixilation, but its not a big deal...

Jimbos said:
NFL IS available in HD already ....

He's talking about the NFL Network HD, and I wouldn't be surprised if they added that either now that Dish has it and seeing how closely D* and the NFL are associated. If they don't, they'll surely be putting the NFL Network HD games on a channel in the 90s since those won't be part of ST or SF.

Optical Serenity said:
Personally I would be thrilled to get the Voom channels...they look pretty neat from their website. I get the national HD and 4 locals here in Atlanta, and well, I find that I've been watching all the old shows on Universal HD and a whole lot of Discovery HD. A lot of shows I wouldn't watch otherwise, because I don't like SD content...

And my AT-9 is just fine. Every now and then I get slight pixilation, but its not a big deal...

OT, but you are like the 5th person to say this....how are you getting the National HD as well as locals in Atlanta (and I mean ABC, CBS and NBC as Fox is technically an o and o).

Atlanta, currently get the Big 4 in MPEG4. National HD channels are like TNTHD, HDNet, etc. Also, some of us like myself were able to get waivers for ABCHD and our FOX is O&O and we were given the FOXHD NY Feed. For those of us who got these waivers before the new law, we were grandfathered over and able to keep our NY East Feeds!

I would rather not see DirecTV use bandwith for any Voom offerings and like many others do not see Voom as that appealing. I love HD but I am not one to watch a bad TV show just because it is in HD so the Voom offering doesn't add one bit of an advantage for E*. I get all my locals in HD OTA and the local cable company doesn't have ESPN2 in HD so DTV is still the best choice for me even without the Sunday Ticket offering which carries a much higher desire rate than any thing Voom can come up with. Basically, I really don't see that much difference in HD content between any provider other than an occassional channel here or there forcing subscribers to make a choice based on what they value be it Voom, NFL, HGTV, etc. Channels filled with old shows or reruns aren't going to drive HD adoption it will take getting more popular channels in HD like USA, FX, SciFi, TBS, Spike, etc. as these channels become available then we can see some differentiaion between carriers but hopefully all, DTV, E*, and cable co. will have the ability to carry them so the channels will actually be created.

Smthkd said:
Atlanta, currently get the Big 4 in MPEG4. National HD channels are like TNTHD, HDNet, etc. Also, some of us like myself were able to get waivers for ABCHD and our FOX is O&O and we were given the FOXHD NY Feed. For those of us who got these waivers before the new law, we were grandfathered over and able to keep our NY East Feeds!
Is TBSHD available in the Atlanta area via OTA or cable currently?The reason I ask is I was watching some highlights of the Braves/Blue Jays game from last night on SportsCenter on ESPNHD.The highlights they showed were in HD and that game was televised by TBS.

Something else that I have noticed is when ESPNHD shows highlights of Braves games that are televised by Turner South,these highlights are in HD too.

steve615 said:
Is TBSHD available in the Atlanta area via OTA or cable currently?The reason I ask is I was watching some highlights of the Braves/Blue Jays game from last night on SportsCenter on ESPNHD.The highlights they showed were in HD and that game was televised by TBS.

Yes it is , OTA

Thanks for the reply LOBO.I've been wondering if anyone else has noticed the Braves games highlights being in HD from TBS and Turner South.

Both have regional requirement limitations. TBS can provide a separate feed similar to what WGN does. 95% exact, but at times the regional user get separate programming from "outsiders".

To be totally honest I have always been a D* supporter but right now the only thing keeping me with them is the HD Tivo and if they are ditching that then I will prolly be hitting the road...

There is talk about FiOs coming to Indianapolis via Verizon through SBC and Tivo is working on HD Tivo's for Verizon... that very well might be where I end up for TV and Internet...

This sucks....I want more HD NOW not in over a year from now months. What happend to the ads with the HD leader and the sats flying through the sky and all the peeple smiling? Time to sell the tivo on ebay and go to Dish. Man that hurts to say but D* has dropped the ball with national hd

steve615 said:

Channel 17 was/is a local channel here, before it was a (so-called) Superstation. So they do have an HD 1080i OTA here, but all the shows are 480p with grey sidebars. That game you mentioned is the first time that I have ever seen then broadcast a program that was in fact 1080i 16x9. I don't even like the Bravos but I watched most of the first several innings just because.

primetime73 said:
I would rather not see DirecTV use bandwith for any Voom offerings and like many others do not see Voom as that appealing. I love HD but I am not one to watch a bad TV show just because it is in HD so the Voom offering doesn't add one bit of an advantage for E*. I get all my locals in HD OTA and the local cable company doesn't have ESPN2 in HD so DTV is still the best choice for me even without the Sunday Ticket offering which carries a much higher desire rate than any thing Voom can come up with. Basically, I really don't see that much difference in HD content between any provider other than an occassional channel here or there forcing subscribers to make a choice based on what they value be it Voom, NFL, HGTV, etc. Channels filled with old shows or reruns aren't going to drive HD adoption it will take getting more popular channels in HD like USA, FX, SciFi, TBS, Spike, etc. as these channels become available then we can see some differentiaion between carriers but hopefully all, DTV, E*, and cable co. will have the ability to carry them so the channels will actually be created.

:) Wow I could not have said it better myself primetime The content of the HD channels is more important than the quantity for me.
The debate will go on forever and It just depends on the Viewers viewing habits. I myself like the live HD programming and the new made for HD content and not the converted stuff let's face it it makes no sense to rush to put out a national channel if there is not enough HD programming for it and ends up repeat after repeat.
It is going to take time and I can wait while enjoying the content I have now.

lovswr said:
Channel 17 was/is a local channel here, before it was a (so-called) Superstation. So they do have an HD 1080i OTA here, but all the shows are 480p with grey sidebars. That game you mentioned is the first time that I have ever seen then broadcast a program that was in fact 1080i 16x9. I don't even like the Bravos but I watched most of the first several innings just because.
I imagine that TBS has been televising the Braves games in HD for awhile now,not sure about that,since I don't live in that area and therefore can't receive their OTA signal.But,I do know that there have been several other occasions that I have seen HD highlights of their games on ESPNHD from games that were broadcast by TBS.I also wonder if they will televise their college football games this fall in HD.

Alvarez said:
To be totally honest I have always been a D* supporter but right now the only thing keeping me with them is the HD Tivo and if they are ditching that then I will prolly be hitting the road...

There is talk about FiOs coming to Indianapolis via Verizon through SBC and Tivo is working on HD Tivo's for Verizon... that very well might be where I end up for TV and Internet...

I may have read your post wrong, but did you say you maybe able to get FIOS thru Verizon thru SBC ?

You may be able to get FIOS thru Verizon or SBC if thats the case, but Verizon and SBC-AT&T are two seperate companies, and do not have a working relationship to work together on the FIOS project.

They may both have FIOS available soon, but not together.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Another Directv Lie!!

HR10-250 wirh Directv supplied antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)