New Install Backfeed Question

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
I am getting a 622/Dish 1000 installed on 3/11, and I'm trying to make up my mind on how to feed the kitchen and bedroom. I had originally decided to run TV 2 to the Kitchen, and a separate line from the 1000 to the bedroom, which would have its own receiver (see option #3 attachment). What I'm thinking of doing instead is feeding both the bedroom and the kitchen from the TV2 output. Both of these are regular TV's - no HD, no DVR. Here are my questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

1) On the "main" TV attached to the 622, if I'm watching something, and recording something else, is TV2 forced to view one of those two channels? For example, if I'm watching Sopranos on HBO, and DVR'ing Sunday Night Football, is the TV2 forced to watch one of those two?

2) Can I split the TV2 output using a standard splitter to supply both the kitchen and bedroom? I believe this means that both of those locations would be forced to watch the same thing, which is fine with me (no one would be watching in both the bedroom and the kitchen at the same time). See Option #1 attachment.

3) If I have one RG6 feeding the 622 (w/ separator), can I backfeed the TV2 output (after splitting as outlined in the question above) through that same line? I'm assuming I would need add'l hardware to diplex the TV2 output back into the main feed and also to diplex it out to feed to the bedroom. See Option #1 attachment.

4) If I can't backfeed as described in Option #1, can I backfeed the split out TV2 signal through the OTA line I have? This line comes in direct from my attic antenna and will not be diplexed with the Sat-in feed. See Option #2 attachment. This wouldn't be as easy as Option #1 due to existing wiring setup, but is do-able.

5) Is it worth all the stress to do this? Should I just cough up the extra $5 per month for the bedroom?

I really appreciate any input on this topic. Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• Option 1.JPG
    Option 1.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Option 2.JPG
    Option 2.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 163
  • Option 3.jpg
    Option 3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 178
1 - Yes.
2 - Yes. (but remember the modulator can carry both TV 1 and TV2, so that means they can watch seperate things if no one is using the HDTV).

3,4,5 - How is your cabling inside your house that you'd have to use a diplexer?

Thank you very much for your reply!

BFG said:
3,4,5 - How is your cabling inside your house that you'd have to use a diplexer?

The way I have outlined the use of the diplexors is based on my *limited* understanding of how they work. I could be way off. Any feedback on whether each of the options would work would be very much appreciated!

Yeah, you drew the use of the diplexers correctly, but I just wanted to understand the cabling that's inside your house, because obviously you know the diplexers will still require additional cable to be ran from the diplexed point to the desitination, I guess you're just trying to reduce the distance the long cables run?

would the below work for you?

Attachments

• Option-4.JPG
    Option-4.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
BFG said:
I guess you're just trying to reduce the distance the long cables run?

would the below work for you?

Kind of - I want to re-use existing cable runs that I cannot easily add another cable to. For example, in Option #1, the cable between the Diplexors goes into my basement, and if I wanted to run another cable the same way, I'd have to rip down crown molding and drywall (obviously, the original cable install was less than optimal). I was hoping to avoid that. The cabling that would needed before and after the diplexor either already exists or could be easily ran.

Another alternative is to fish a 2nd cable the same way the OTA cable is ran, then drop it down to the bedroom since the OTA is in the attic above the bedroom. It would require me fishing from the attic to the basement (via the garage), however it wouldn't be too big of a job (2 hours probably). See Option #4 below. I'm starting to think that I should just do that rather than worrying about over-architecting such a complex diplexor setup. I've probably spent more than 2 hours thinking about it already :) Oh well, it's fun :)

Attachments

• Option 4.jpg
    Option 4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
That looks like a good game plan. I was gonna gonna go crazy w/ diplexers one time, but decided to avoid the hassle

I don't own a 622 (yet) but from what I'm reading, both of the remote TV outputs are SDTV, available either from composite/S-video and stereo audio outputs, or through the modulated coax output.

If that's true, another option would be to go wireless to the remote TVs. I use 2 microwave "Leap Frog" xmit/rcvr pairs to feed extra TVs in my ranch house with good success over about 50' or less. One of these is currently fed from my 811 and one from a legacy 3700. You can feed each xmitter's input with a composite SDTV video and L/R stereo audio from the 622. The rcvr provides the same outputs to a TV. (Each X-R pair was about $75 several years ago from a local big-box retailer). If your 2 remote locations are in about the same relative direction from the 622, then you would only need 1 xmitter for 1 TV output. Alternately, use 2 xmitters set at different frequencies (one for each TV out from the 622) then switch the rcvr at each location to watch TV1 or TV2 as desired. (The L-F model I'm using has 4 frequencies available.)

Just a thought...

Thanks everyone for your input... I had started a thread on a different topic and it was mentioned by several posters that I needed a dpp44 for the Option #4 configuration above. Does anyone have thoughts on that? I'm not sure I need one of those since the Dish 1000 combines the 3 sat signals into one cable (Port 1 & 2), right?

Here is the other thread -> http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=505296

Thanks BFG!

Just when I had started thinking I was understanding how E* installation and wiring worked, I was thrown for a loop by the comments that I needed a DPP44...

Turns out I must have been learning something from this site after all :)

Got my 622 Yesterday

Signal Lost Error (002)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts