New Iwatch Rumors: Circular Shape, Slimmer Than Moto 360, Production To Start In July Or August

I hope the iwatch will be backward compatible with iphone 5 + at least. Better to be backward compatible to iphone 4. If it only works with new iphone6, then that will be a downer to market.

I hope the iwatch will be backward compatible with iphone 5 + at least. Better to be backward compatible to iphone 4. If it only works with new iphone6, then that will be a downer to market.

4 years of backwards compatibility (with 5 gens of phone hardware)? That seems a bit unlikely to me. Practically speaking, I do not belive that the 4 and the 4s have the low power bluetooth mode to even make using a watch accessory not be a huge battery drain. I'm actually not even sure that my 5 has that, it might just be the 5s that has it.

I imagine it will likely work with anything that can run ios 8, but maybe the hardware bluetooth limitations will make the interoperability less than that. I don't expect many people to pick up and use a smart watch if it means their phone will die 25-30% faster.

I would speculate backwards compatible with almost any iPhone, but the feature set will change depending on the iPhone model. If you want the most features on the watch, you will need the latest iPhone.

Katie Huberty ? spelling, an analyst with Morgan Stanley just stated on CNBC that the iwatch to be released in Q4 will cost Apple $100 and retail for $299 and projected sales initially of 60 million. Projecting a new price target of $860 per share /7split representing 122.85 per share.

Katie Huberty ? spelling, an analyst with Morgan Stanley just stated on CNBC that the iwatch to be released in Q4 will cost Apple $100 and retail for $299 and projected sales initially of 60 million. Projecting a new price target of $860 per share /7split representing 122.85 per share.
I think anything over $250 is a mistake. Make it $199 and it'll sell like hotcakes (and be another means of locking consumers into iphones assuming they go the samsung compatibility route). Personally I'd like basic functions to work with any smartphone (a la pebble) and then extras to only work with ios devices.

Reactions: TheForce
By the time Apple gets around to (ever) releasing their watch the market will be saturated. Will Apple be able to put out something unique and different enough to capture the market like it has done with its other products?

By the time Apple gets around to (ever) releasing their watch the market will be saturated. Will Apple be able to put out something unique and different enough to capture the market like it has done with its other products?
Considering what's out there right now, I wouldn't exactly call the market saturated. Throw in considerations like device quality and existing products are even less compelling.

It just seems like everyone has a smart watch on the market now. I do not have one. I like the features of my current low tech watch... Solar powered, radio time setting, water proof (200M) and extremely durable (I bang it on stuff all the time without issue). But, I would want these features in a smart watch.

It just seems like everyone has a smart watch on the market now. I do not have one. I like the features of my current low tech watch... Solar powered, radio time setting, water proof (200M) and extremely durable (I bang it on stuff all the time without issue). But, I would want these features in a smart watch.
I think you can scratch solar powered off your list right off the get go. Smart watches draw way more power than conventional watches. Until solar power becomes much much more efficient (and battery tech for that matter) these devices will need external power supplies.

Waterproof seems doable (although maybe not 200M depth right away) and highly desirable for something that is worn on the wrist. As for durability, that might be tricky, but hopefully that's where innovative materials and design come in to allow for something light, that won't overheat, and won't break from accidental contact in the course of daily life.

I already use a watch, so I'd love to get a smart watch just for basic things like notifications. If I don't like Apple's entry into the field, I will almost certainly jump all over a Pebble Steel.

I agree solar will not provide enough power. Perhaps Apple's sapphire crystal plant will crank out a tough enough display to hold up with the door jamb collisions my watch seems to always have.

I agree solar will not provide enough power. Perhaps Apple's sapphire crystal plant will crank out a tough enough display to hold up with the door jamb collisions my watch seems to always have.
You too? I thought I was the only one that ran into those!

Waterproof can be possible if they get rid of the micro USB port and switch to a wireless induction or a magnetic contact charger. I would rather charge it every other day or so and have a thinner smaller design, than some Breitling monster. My Sony smartwatch 2 is fine and I got used to charging it every other day. I used to wear a T-Touch Tissot and it has a 7 year battery. Who need solar? My other watch is an old Seiko Diver that I have had since the 70's. It is self wind and still works. Just need to shake it a but and reset it. I only put it on when swimming since I don't dive anymore.I do have a dead solar watch, a Citizen EcoDrive. They claim it never needs a batter but that is not true. It's rechargeable lasts about 5 years. It will run if I keep it in the sunlight but shuts down after a hour in the dark.

I agree that manuufacturer has a smart watch now but that does not mean the market is saturated. The market is wide open because few people own them. If a company finally makes a smart watch that people see the value in, then that company will seize the market. Apple has that track record of doing that. They may not be innovators of new technology, but when they do come out with a me too, it usually takes the market by storm and becomes the new standard others copy. I have a pre iphone smart phone, an IPAQ from HP. Then the iphone came out that really worked! Now every smart phone looks like the iphone. Same with ipad, and laptops. Likely the iwatch will set a new direction for both sales and acceptance and functionality.

Pro athletes seen going in and out of Apple headquarters... Are they testing/giving feedback on the new iWatch?

http://www.dailytech.com/Report Kobe Bryant Other Famous Athletes Lined Up for iWatch Fitness Testing/article36095.htm

Apple has reportedly met with athletes from the MLB, NHL, and NBA on several occasions, including Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant and Los Angeles Kings' Dustin Brown. The Cupertino company's aim is to test its smartwatch -- nicknamed the "iWatch" for now -- in more intense training environments. The iWatch is said to have 10 sensors total, measuring blood pressure, hydration levels, heart rate, steps taken, calories burned and more. - See more at: http://www.dailytech.com/Report Kobe Bryant Other Famous Athletes Lined Up for iWatch Fitness Testing/article36095.htm#sthash.p7bLJ7h0.dpuf

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/20/apple...athletes-to-test-iwatch-fitness-capabilities/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)