New line under programming online account

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I checked on my three DISH accounts(mine, mom & dad , aunt) and noticed something new listed under each account on the last line under Programming sub heading.

First Receiver (add'l $7.00-17) $00

So is this going to be some new line on our bills where they charge us for the first receiver on our account and keep the DVR fee as well? Or will the Dvr fee be going away and it will be replaced by the First receiver fee? Everyone hates paying dvr fees and I notice the new promos are for price locks that eliminate the dvr fee , so this could be simple reclassification of the same fee with a different name?

But ,I wouldn't be surprised if DISH did try to suddenly start charging for the first receiver in order to generate even more income for their bottom line, but if they did this , they would be causing churn to sky rocket even more than usual. Would this be smart when they have lost 79,000 subs in 2014 and 81,000 this last year? This was what the FCC said about cable and satellite companies and set top boxes. They ordered set top box design open to 3rd party companies so they can cut down on the outrageous lease fees that cable and satellite charge and that have sky rocketed since the 90s.

Anyone know what is going on here?

DirecTV now charges for the first receiver. This might just be for comparison.
I see it on my bill too. Shows right above the line about FREE HD FOR LIFE $.00. I hope that is all it is , but you never know with DISH. What scares me is that under First receiver it says additional $7.00 -17. Like we would have to pay an additional fee on top of the dvr fee. I sure hope that this isn't a foreshadow to another new fee coming down the road. Remember when the FREE HD FOR LIFE was being charged at $10.00 after the commitment for new subs ended?

I saw it on mine too. Like Sheridan, I think it is just for comparison to show that Dish doesn't charge for the first receiver like DirecTV does now. When you click on "compare to DirecTV" on the Dish website now, they have a line where it shows that DTV charges for the first receiver and Dish doesn't.

Reactions: satjay
I checked on my three DISH accounts(mine, mom & dad , aunt) and noticed something new listed under each account on the last line under Programming sub heading.

First Receiver (add'l $7.00-17) $00

So is this going to be some new line on our bills where they charge us for the first receiver on our account and keep the DVR fee as well? Or will the Dvr fee be going away and it will be replaced by the First receiver fee? Everyone hates paying dvr fees and I notice the new promos are for price locks that eliminate the dvr fee , so this could be simple reclassification of the same fee with a different name?

But ,I wouldn't be surprised if DISH did try to suddenly start charging for the first receiver in order to generate even more income for their bottom line, but if they did this , they would be causing churn to sky rocket even more than usual. Would this be smart when they have lost 79,000 subs in 2014 and 81,000 this last year? This was what the FCC said about cable and satellite companies and set top boxes. They ordered set top box design open to 3rd party companies so they can cut down on the outrageous lease fees that cable and satellite charge and that have sky rocketed since the 90s.

Anyone know what is going on here?
Where exactly are you seeing the First Receiver (add'l $7.00-17) $00? Paper bill or on line Mydish.com?

I see it on my bill too. Shows right above the line about FREE HD FOR LIFE $.00. I hope that is all it is , but you never know with DISH. What scares me is that under First receiver it says additional $7.00 -17. Like we would have to pay an additional fee on top of the dvr fee. I sure hope that this isn't a foreshadow to another new fee coming down the road. Remember when the FREE HD FOR LIFE was being charged at $10.00 after the commitment for new subs ended?

It's on my bill so must be on everyones or will be. It looks to me to be just as the HD charge shows zero, for comparison to others that do charge. But I'm going to agree with you, I don't like the possible implications.... :)

I don't think there is anything devious going on here. I think Dish is just trying to emphasize the fact that the first receiver is free. They want to make sure that the customer knows that. Just a marketing thing so that customers can see "how wonderful" Dish network is.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think it would be less confusion if the DVR service fee was done away with and just charge for each DVR.
That is what I thought they were possibly doing with the first receiver fee . It could be anywhere from $7.00 to $17.00. But if they did that you would be paying different fees based on your receiver class, instead of one dvr fee.

The vip receivers like 622/722/722k pay $7.00 for dvr fees , the Vip 922 paid $10.00 ,the hopper 2 pays $12.00, the hopper 3 pays $15.00. So a simple reclassification of the fee to the first receiver fee instead of the dvr fee and DISH could claim we have NO DVR FEES! But the customer would still be paying it. Kind of like what they did back in 2010 with the big reclassification of all the miscellaneous fees like Tv 2 at $5.00 and the regular additional fee of $5.00 for sd and $6.00 for hd + the dvr fee per dvr receiver were all rolled up into one additional receiver fee, based on class of receiver, anywhere from $7.00 to $17.00. There's that same number again. That is where we got the $17.00 additional vip dvr receiver fee from. The second hopper 2 on your account is $12.00, which still includes the dvr fee included in that additional receiver fee. The hopper 3 is at $15.00 for the dvr fee, they could easily make it the first receiver fee.

I don't know........the more I think about it , the more I can see DISH playing word games and doing this fee instead of the dvr fee and they could even make more based on what class of receiver you ended up with. I can see the DISH promo coming soon NO DVR FEES EVER on your account!! Anyone remember FREE HD for LIFE? They tried to charge new subs who were out of commitment that for a while . After all, the fees are created by DISH and they can easily change the names of those fees or combine them in any configuration that benefits them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)