Status
Please reply by conversation.

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
NASA UHD is now available on 105W 3760V / SR 28068, PID 104. My STB's could not receive it, but my TBS6983 tuner card was able to stream it to VLC.

Someone on the motor sports website found this UHD channel and I thought I would post it here in case anyone missed it. Not much on now, but some UHD programs are scheduled for 'Fall 2015' -- commercial free and brought to you by all of us (U.S. taxpayers). I think its one of the best uses of government money in a long time!

Getting this now:

nasa_uhd.jpg

Yes! way cool!
Now I'll have to p/u one of those TBS cards for sure...

That's exactly what I was going to say... For a channel paid for by the taxpayers, they ought to make it much more accessible. Also, it would be a nice change from the plethora of anti-scientific channels...

Now I wish they would use Ku band for all of us don't have C band dish!:hungry
That's exactly what I was going to say... For a channel paid for by the taxpayers, they ought to make it much more accessible. Also, it would be a nice change from the plethora of anti-scientific channels...
I don't know why they don't make it more accessible by putting it on KU, could it be cost related?

But.... the word 'accessible' makes me wonder if this could be used as a loophole to get rid of HOA restrictrictions on BUD's. If we are paying for it, how can an HOA legally prevent us from implementing 'reasonable necessary means' to access it? Or has someone already tried this and lost?

So this is in the same MUX as the other three NASA channels? Why is there a NASA TV UHD on 40.5 W? Would like to know if N6BY can also stream that to the TBS6983?

Nasa also spotted on 103W C with a few others this week:

4140 V 30000
UHD1
FashionONE 4K
High 4k TV
NASA UHD TV

So this is in the same MUX as the other three NASA channels? Why is there a NASA TV UHD on 40.5 W? Would like to know if N6BY can also stream that to the TBS6983?
I can't get 40.5W here on the left coast. (Best I can do is 50W). Will be interesting to take a look at the other UHD channels on 103W when I get a chance.

... Haven't had much time for FTA stuff ever since my Dad went into the hospital late Sept. and died after surgery. Will try to get back into this hobby when things calm down.

Last edited:
I just had a thought which is not usually a good thing but I was just wondering, am I right to guess that all I would need to receive 4K FTA like NASA UHD would be just buy a PCIe card for my HTPC? Would I then split the incoming cable before the GeosatPro MicroHD (after the VBOX) and just turn off the MicroHD when using the PCIe card? Assuming these cards are compatible with DiSEqC as it says they are; I guess it would work with the VBOX?. I am a computer repair tech by trade so I really don't mind catching a PC on fire but would prefer not to, you know at least not right at first. Feel free to treat me like a complete noob when it comes to DVB-S2 TV Tuner cards as all I have ever installed and used was NTSC capture cards. I would love to know more about the possibility of viewing the new NASA TV UHD channel. I am a long time amateur astronomy and astro photographer so NASA TV is by far my favorite channel and to be honest the main reason I put a six foot C/Ku BAND dish in my back yard. The wife didn't love it at first but now that we have it she enjoys it too, I personally think its a beautiful site. So if anyone would like to point me in the right direction are tell me not yet son, just wait longer then I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long winded post, I guess I could have just said some one please help me get NASA TV UHD! Thanks guys.

That is exactly how I am watching the NASA 4K channel (and others) . If you only need to watch either the HTPC or the STB and not both at a time, it is as easy as installing a high quality (2.5Ghz minimum) splitter inline. One leg goes to the STB and the other leg to the PCIe tuner. Turn off the power (or LNB voltage) on the unused device to avoid conflicts for motor positioning and polarity control.

Make sure that both the PCIe card and the STB both use the same DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignments for each satellite. This way each device can be swapped back and forth to control the positioner without messing up the sync.

That is excellent news, and I greatly appreciate the guidance. Could you recommend an affordable PCIe card for viewing these channels? I only need one tuner and will only be watching TV. I do not do any signal analysis or other cool stuff yet so a basic card will do the trick. I can use any Windows or Linux OS but prefer Windows. I am running Windows 10 64-bit on the current HTPC, but I can dual boot Windows XP or 7 if I need to (Vista isn't happening unless necessary all though I cant see why that would ever be) if driver support is an issue. Oh and one more question I guess these cards have LNB voltage output so is there special power supply requirements, or are they just bus powered? Thanks for all the help, I wish I would have come here when I first started the hobby, then it would not have taken me 2 weeks to get my dish to track the arc.

Would the TBS 6922SE do the trick?

Last edited:
I don't have a TBS 6922SE, but the 6983 works very well on my Win7 system and displaying on a 1080p downconverted. Maybe a 6922 owner could provide information?

You will want to ether stream to the TV or buy a good video card to free up the CPU and handle the HDMI video processing. I am currently 4K TV shopping and pricing video cards with 10 bit processing. Before upgrading my video card, I want to first test 4k UPnP. I have heard that not all 4k TVs are playing all 4k streams. Ah, the risks with being an early adopter.

If powering only a single LNB or LNBF, the PCIe power supply connection is adequate. If powering multiple LNBs, switches or a motor, select a model with power cable connection or use an external power inserter.

Another option might be the announced, but not yet available Amiko 4K quad core STB ($110 - $125 estimated street price). Always hate to suggest waiting for something that none of us have tested. But... if you want a 4K STB, this might be worth waiting for instead of the PCIe tuner in the HTPC.

I think my GTX 770 should do the trick, but I would love a 4K STB, I am a little bit to excited to wait I'm afraid. So would my NS741 LNBF be considered multiple LNBs as far as power or would it be ok since I only tune one at a time?

I did see the The Vu+ Solo 4K when checking to see if any 4K STBs had been released and was shocked at the price, I paid less for my meade 10" lx200 schmidt-cassegrain telescope. Plus I don't yet have a 4K TV either, so I will also be displaying on a 1080p down-converted via HDMI.

The NS741 has 2 LNBFs, but the total current draw shouldn't exceed a typical PCIe tuner LNB power rating.

If you use a DiSEqC switch with active port power passing, only the selected LNBF will be powered. Some DiSEqC and 22KHz switches pass power to all ports at all times.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)