New NASA UHD channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for all the help, I am going to go ahead and get the TBS 6922SE, looks like it comes with a remote so worse case scenario I turn it into a home made receiver later in a mini ITX case; for the price it's well worth the learning experience. I will report back when I get it installed and tested.

Reactions: Titanium
Hello everyone, I'm back to report on my experience with my new TBS-6922SE. The Card installation was straight forward, Install card into slot then boot computer and install drivers. I'm running Windows 10 64-bit so I downloaded new drivers from the TBS website although the drivers on the CD will work; the official support for 10 is on the website.

Just to add I broke down and bought a 4K TV, the Vizio M60-C3.

Now on to the software part, I am able to scan in channels and watch them with DVB Dream which includes LAN streaming either on the loopback locally, the broadcast address or to a specific IP. Now for the bad news I have installed LAV and everything works BUT VLC x64 shows a frozen image then might move a few frames and freeze again. MPC-HC x64 will play the stream at about 4 FPS. The built in renderer is about the same as MPC-HC. I have tried streaming to other computers on my LAN with the same result. Some PCs with faster CPU's seem to do a bit better. I have tried different decoder settings but I am to the point where I may just have to buy a GTX-960 with built in HEVC decoding. NASA TV UHD specs recommend the GTX-970. This will be a better solution anyhow as the new 900 series Nvidia cards support HDMI 2.0 for 2160p @ 60Hz which the new TV has ONE input that supports that, the other 4 HDMIs are 4k@30Hz.

So if anyone has anything else for me to try so I can play the channel at a decent frame rate, I'm all ears.

Reactions: Titanium
Well I might be on to something for NASA TV UHD, the specs say HEVC @ 13 Mbps so I have been adjusting the Video Packet Size and it seems to make a huge difference just not sure how large to go before fragmentation occurs. I'm sure there is a way to detect something in the stream or video frame type (assuming that means what I think it does). for now I have it set to 8KB, which maybe hilarious, I just don't know.

Ryan are you using windows or linux on your HTPC project? Things slowing down here for the winter, planning to obtain a TBS 6983 card but I am pretty sure I'll go for the linux OS, seems to be more options for software (freeware), including members here that are building their own software.

You'll have to get one of those high end Mallencam eyepiece cameras for your Meade, show us some uHD video of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn! :)

Reactions: BigRyan
Ryan are you using windows or linux on your HTPC project? Things slowing down here for the winter, planning to obtain a TBS 6983 card but I am pretty sure I'll go for the linux OS, seems to be more options for software (freeware), including members here that are building their own software.

You'll have to get one of those high end Mallencam eyepiece cameras for your Meade, show us some uHD video of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn! :)

Can I check the box for all of the above? (Just want to add that NASA TV is the reason I got into this hobby)

I started with Windows 10 64-bit, then added another hard drive and dual booted Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10. after getting completely MAD with windows I resized the Windows 7 partition on the second hard drive and added Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. With ALL Operating systems I still cannot get VLC in ANY case to stream from ANY of the DVB programs I have tried. It just shows the first frame an freezes with sound and the seek selector moving on. Media player classic HC in on Windows will play for the NASA UHD stream for a bit then freeze with sound chopping out.

If you are going with Linux keep in mind you will have to compile you drivers (make config, make install) and hope for the best, I have not found many GUI apps that work great with DVB their are some (Myth, dvb-tools, to name a few) TBS provides the drives packages but they are not built, you have to do it. and they do not provide any GUI to access the card with (unless I missed something here).

What is working for the NASA TV UHD stream (on Windows) so far is SmartDVB (I like this one alot) and the DVBDream OEM version that came with the card. Along with LAV filters in native mode. Playing the feed in the video preview inside SmartDVB/DVBDream. Others have said they have streamed NASA TV UHD to VLC but no one yet has listed step by step what they have used. I certainly will once I have a working solution. I have tried for example turning on LAN streaming inside SmartDVB/DVBDream and launching MPC-HC with "mpc-hc64.exe UDP://127.0.0.1:8080 /play" or launching VLC with "VLC.exe UDP://@" , both programs "TRY" to play it. and MPC will play a recording of NASA TV UHD just fine.

Sorry for the long reply, Please don't hesitate to ask any question about what I have done so far, I will be glad to respond.

PS: I will let you know when I get a 4K video of mars, although it would be a pretty small dot at that resolution, lol.
Here are a few samples of my work.
sample.png

Can I check the box for all of the above? (Just want to add that NASA TV is the reason I got into this hobby)

I started with Windows 10 64-bit, then added another hard drive and dual booted Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10. after getting completely MAD with windows I resized the Windows 7 partition on the second hard drive and added Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. With ALL Operating systems I still cannot get VLC in ANY case to stream from ANY of the DVB programs I have tried. It just shows the first frame an freezes with sound and the seek selector moving on. Media player classic HC in on Windows will play for the NASA UHD stream for a bit then freeze with sound chopping out.

If you are going with Linux keep in mind you will have to compile you drivers (make config, make install) and hope for the best, I have not found many GUI apps that work great with DVB their are some (Myth, dvb-tools, to name a few) TBS provides the drives packages but they are not built, you have to do it. and they do not provide any GUI to access the card with (unless I missed something here).

What is working for the NASA TV UHD stream (on Windows) so far is SmartDVB (I like this one alot) and the DVBDream OEM version that came with the card. Along with LAV filters in native mode. Playing the feed in the video preview inside SmartDVB/DVBDream. Others have said they have streamed NASA TV UHD to VLC but no one yet has listed step by step what they have used. I certainly will once I have a working solution. I have tried for example turning on LAN streaming inside SmartDVB/DVBDream and launching MPC-HC with "mpc-hc64.exe UDP://127.0.0.1:8080 /play" or launching VLC with "VLC.exe UDP://@" , both programs "TRY" to play it. and MPC will play a recording of NASA TV UHD just fine.

Sorry for the long reply, Please don't hesitate to ask any question about what I have done so far, I will be glad to respond.

PS: I will let you know when I get a 4K video of mars, although it would be a pretty small dot at that resolution, lol.
Here are a few samples of my work.
View attachment 112080
I use a Windows program called ebspro which I have setup to stream to VLC and it works good

I use a Windows program called ebspro which I have setup to stream to VLC and it works good

EBSpro installed, scanned in the 4140 mux NASA UHD TV and others, configured VLC streaming = FREEZES. both UDP and TCP just plays first frame is grabs and sits there. Can you elaborate on your VLC settings, version, architecture, etc. I have tried 32-bit, 64-bit, 2.2.1, nightly builds, Windows 10, 7, Ubuntu 14.04. ALL just play first frame and freeze.

So since this thread is pertaining to NASA TV UHD i guess my question is: Have you played the NASA TV UHD channel with VLC?

Trying to play a recorded video in VLC but the video is frozen and the logger interface displays the following:

[hevc @ 0000000003a805c0] Could not find ref with POC 38
[hevc @ 0000000003a80ee0] Could not find ref with POC 42
[hevc @ 0000000003a805c0] Could not find ref with POC 46
[hevc @ 0000000003a80ee0] Could not find ref with POC 50
[hevc @ 0000000003a805c0] Could not find ref with POC 54
[hevc @ 0000000003a80ee0] Could not find ref with POC 58
[hevc @ 0000000003a805c0] Could not find ref with POC 62
[hevc @ 0000000003a80ee0] Could not find ref with POC 66
[hevc @ 0000000003a805c0] Could not find ref with POC 88
[hevc @ 0000000003a80ee0] Could not find ref with POC 92
[hevc @ 0000000003a805c0] Could not find ref with POC 96

Does this mean anything to anyone?

I am using the demuxer MPEG Transport Stream (wrong maybe?)

Over at Rick's, there is a thread where VLC stalls as well. One guy says it works well with DVB Viewer. There is a free demo available, so maybe try that and Nasa should work properly.

Catamount

Over at Rick's, there is a thread where VLC stalls as well. One guy says it works well with DVB Viewer. There is a free demo available, so maybe try that and Nasa should work properly.

Catamount

Do you mean VLC works well with DBV Viewer, or DBV Viewer plays the channel. I have been able to play NASA UHD in several DVB programs but the image is of preview quality and compressed, despite changing rendered settings. VLC and MPC or Mp4client from GPAC should be native 4K quality. Thanks for the input. I will revisit DBV Viewer again.

Last edited:
I've had pretty good results with recording uHD channels using EBS Pro, then playing them back with PotPlayer. My computer is too slow to play back these files in real time, but PotPlayer seems to do a good job at rendering each frame, before going onto the next one. Audio is chopped up at this slow frame rate, but the video is pretty good. This is down scaled to 1060i for my monitor. I also use PotPlayer to stream non uHD video from EBS Pro to my monitor.

I've never been able to get VLC to play a uHD file.

I'm using a Prof 7500 USB tuner with EBS Pro and PotPlayer. It does a good enough job to satisfy my curiosity about what is on the uHD channels. It's not real time to a 4K monitor, but it's cheap.

BTW, PotPlayer isn't perfect, it often seems to hang and I have to use task manager to kill it.

I've had pretty good results with recording uHD channels using EBS Pro, then playing them back with PotPlayer. My computer is too slow to play back these files in real time, but PotPlayer seems to do a good job at rendering each frame, before going onto the next one. Audio is chopped up at this slow frame rate, but the video is pretty good. This is down scaled to 1060i for my monitor. I also use PotPlayer to stream non uHD video from EBS Pro to my monitor.

I've never been able to get VLC to play a uHD file.

I'm using a Prof 7500 USB tuner with EBS Pro and PotPlayer. It does a good enough job to satisfy my curiosity about what is on the uHD channels. It's not real time to a 4K monitor, but it's cheap.

BTW, PotPlayer isn't perfect, it often seems to hang and I have to use task manager to kill it.

Ahh yes, "task manager to kill it" I wish I had a $ for every "Ctrl+Shift+Esc > right click > end process" I have done in my life. I would have a 3.8 Meter PRODELIN chillin in the back yard. PotPlayer does play the recordings but not well on my AMD Phenom 955 Quad @ 3.6 Ghz, its maxed out all cores 99%. I just cant understand why VLC starts then moves 3 frames then then freezes. O well I have a GTX 950 on the way, maybe it will solve my problems with MPC-HC playing NASA tv UHD. at least it plays for a bit till the buffer overruns. I have to say it look amazing for those 10 seconds or less.

EBSpro installed, scanned in the 4140 mux NASA UHD TV and others, configured VLC streaming = FREEZES. both UDP and TCP just plays first frame is grabs and sits there. Can you elaborate on your VLC settings, version, architecture, etc. I have tried 32-bit, 64-bit, 2.2.1, nightly builds, Windows 10, 7, Ubuntu 14.04. ALL just play first frame and freeze.

So since this thread is pertaining to NASA TV UHD i guess my question is: Have you played the NASA TV UHD channel with VLC?
I only use a 90cm right now awaiting a couple missing pieces to finish my 8ft bud once it is installed I will try to get the nasa UHD feed using ebspro and VLC

Thanks to Rempfer!

I think he is using EBS pro or Crazyscan to stream to DVB Viewer. Here are a couple of quotes:

I just bought a GTX950 video card, installed it in my core i5 computer and am hoping to be able to smoothly stream the UHD channel 104 on 105W AMC18. Some of the issues already touched upon I am experiencing also.

With either EBSPro or CrazyScan passing the transponder/stream:
1. VLC, select the 104 channel, seems to display a few video frames and then stall (audio continues)
2. TSReader, preselect the 104 channel, pass to VLC, Potplayer or whatever, no video at all (just audio)
3. Potplayer, can get audio/video on whatever channel happens to default, but can't find an option to pick the 104 channel

Since TSR doesn't recognize the video format used by channel 104,
since VLC -- while it lets me select channel 104 out of the stream -- won't play the channel without stalling, and
since Potplayer won't let me select channel 104 (or any channel other than the one it defaults to) out of the stream,
I would ask:
A. Is there a video player other than VLC or Potplayer that will let me select individual PIDs when the player's been sent the full stream? (MPC-HD mentioned above -- will it let me select an individual PID?)
B. On a side note, does anyone know what the command-line options, if any, for Potplayer would be?

Still would like the answers to above, but have PID:104 playing seemingly flawlessly in DVBViewer with CPU usage per Windows 8.1 Task Manager at 11%. Too cool!

It may not satisfy your needs for picture quality. Not sure?

Catamount

Has anyone tried to stream directly to their TV's and let the TV decode the HVEC signal?
I tried to stream to my Vizio M60-C3 and the DLNA app only detected that I had audio streams, so I guess the app doesn't support H.265 HEVC yet.

Thanks to Rempfer!

I think he is using EBS pro or Crazyscan to stream to DVB Viewer. Here are a couple of quotes:

I just bought a GTX950 video card, installed it in my core i5 computer and am hoping to be able to smoothly stream the UHD channel 104 on 105W AMC18. Some of the issues already touched upon I am experiencing also.

With either EBSPro or CrazyScan passing the transponder/stream:
1. VLC, select the 104 channel, seems to display a few video frames and then stall (audio continues)
2. TSReader, preselect the 104 channel, pass to VLC, Potplayer or whatever, no video at all (just audio)
3. Potplayer, can get audio/video on whatever channel happens to default, but can't find an option to pick the 104 channel

Since TSR doesn't recognize the video format used by channel 104,
since VLC -- while it lets me select channel 104 out of the stream -- won't play the channel without stalling, and
since Potplayer won't let me select channel 104 (or any channel other than the one it defaults to) out of the stream,
I would ask:
A. Is there a video player other than VLC or Potplayer that will let me select individual PIDs when the player's been sent the full stream? (MPC-HD mentioned above -- will it let me select an individual PID?)
B. On a side note, does anyone know what the command-line options, if any, for Potplayer would be?

Still would like the answers to above, but have PID:104 playing seemingly flawlessly in DVBViewer with CPU usage per Windows 8.1 Task Manager at 11%. Too cool!

It may not satisfy your needs for picture quality. Not sure?

Catamount
Well with DVBViewer it does play but only for a bit, the longest I have been able to watch is about 1 min. The good news is DVBViewer supports DXVA Scaling wich is what MPC-HC and VLC do also, so this will eliminate the need to stream the video to an external player. I just wish DVBViewer was more stable, either crashes and I have to kill it with task manager, or it says could not load filters / black screen. When it does work it looks native and UHD.

As for individual PIDs I just went into the channel editor in the scanner software and deleted all but NASA TV UHD. Not sure if this still sends the whole TS though, it should only give one channel to select, the only one that exist.

Yes, I have a samsung I would like to try this on. I just need to get a tuner card and build the PC for it.
The Samsung may have HEVC (H.265) decoder built in, I would look into that (DLNA) then you would not need to build a PC just get a TBS 5922SE USB DVB S2 adapter for your laptop or what ever PC you have laying around, and LAN stream it on in! I'm sure Amazon would let you return it if it "Did not Work" LOL. We have mugs come in all the time saying "This didn't fix my problem" and return items. I personally don't return stuff, but a lot of mugs do!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts