New NASA UHD channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I get cannot play, the file might be corrupt? I might need to gather more information on this one. And I have to be honest I have devoted all of my energy to getting NASA UHD working and started with the documentation from NASA and Harmonic on what is required. It's probably settings somewhere.

If you have another example of a channel you want me to try that would help. I could not tune CBS on 97 because I guess my 6' dish is to small. I may need to use something other then LAV or it might need a transcoded stream (I know we don't want that one if at all possible) Just tried NBC on 105 with same error, not sure if that one is 4:2:2 stream. NASA Public and Media HD and Edu SD work well though :)

The CBS feeds are not always active. Try 97w 4080. The CBS 4:2:2 TP is live at this time with two basketball service channels.

The 6' dish may not be adequate to receive these feeds as they are DVBS2 with 9/10 FEC. These high FEC muxes require almost perfect reception of 90% of the data in order to decode.

Not sure if BigRyan has ku satellite capability. If so, he could test the CBC 4.2.2 news feeds on 107W ku. (not always active)

Catamount

Some time there is some 4.2.2 on 107.3W Ku. There wasn't earlier today, or just now. But is a possible place to check on Ku for 4.2.2, too.

Thanks for doing this.

I do have C/Ku set up, here is my signature for those of you on the mobile app:

180cm C Ku Band (WSI NS741) Prime Focus 55W to 131W, GeosatPro Micro HD, TBS6922SE, DMSI Vbox7.

97w 4080 would not lock either on TBS card or the GeoSat ProMicroHD, 50% S 10%Q.

I don't mind testing what ever we need to, after all I spent 140 bucks for this ROKU 4 and plan to get all the use I can out of it, I also have a ROKU 3, ROKU 1, and a the ROKU streaming stick as well. Primarily use them for my PLEX Server but getting FTA to them is legit.

Reactions: Titanium
Was able to decipher NASA UHD sid-4 this am using the TBS 5980 and SmartDVB. Video chokes a bit (stutters), but I suspect the onboard video resources on the motherboard are not up to the task of UHD video. If I save the TS file and transcode it to MP4, VLC plays it nicely.
Real cool!

edit:
Also scanned 103 C-band and have the 4 UHD channels running as well, but system chokes pretty badly. On normal HD the processor on my computer runs between 2-8% load. With these UHD channels it's up to 94-96% load! Guess I need a really good video card in order to play these UHD channels.

I am using an intel i7 quad 4790 running 3.6GHz on an Asus Z97K mb.
onboard video:
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 512 MB

Last edited:
Reactions: fred555
Status update on this project. I updated PleX Media Server and the Roku 4 option no longer works, It tried a few times but fell a part after a few seconds. So for now the NASA TV UHD (and others) will continue to be viewed as follows:

SmartDVB (TBS 6922SE Tuner)
LAV (Video Splitter)
GTX950 (Hardware Decoder) [Key component]
Media Player Classic HC (Video Renderer)

Hopefully soon some one will make an IPTV plugin for Roku that will let you just simply type in a URL of a stream.

Hopefully soon some one will make an IPTV plugin for Roku that will let you just simply type in a URL of a stream.

Its been a few years but buried in the pits of the ROKU website somewhere is the development kit. You actually unlock the ROKU and transfer your own programs over to it.
I think it would be pretty easy to have a simple program that just pointed to your own url.
I found a discussion group maybe buried on the ROKU site or somewhere else where I was able to learn and program some simple things pretty quickly.

I was looking into that, currently with the IPTV plugin on PleX I am just editing the m3u playlist file and it was working great. Now that PleX is updated the stream doesn't play anymore.

I was looking into that, currently with the IPTV plugin on PleX I am just editing the m3u playlist file and it was working great. Now that PleX is updated the stream doesn't play anymore.

What is involved in un-updating Plex?
Is it possible to revert back?
Does Plex update during the automatic ROKU updates?
I'm pretty ROKU rusty these days.
I bought like the second gen years ago to play with but my
internet was not and is still not fast enough to make any real use out of it.
I gave it away.

It's always possible to format a hard drive, in fact I get some small enjoyment out of wiping out a computer. But I really want to get away from using PleX as a pass through and get a direct solution to help everyone else out. I know not everyone uses PleX and I needed it updated for other reasons. What we need is a SmartDVB app for Roku, like the PleX app is for PleX server. Better worded would be a SmartDVB client for Roku.

Well today I found out that I'm not a developer, I first tried a few of the "make your own channel" websites that package a Roku channel for you that you can then upload through your Roku dev account, they all failed. Then I put my Roku in dev mode and edited one of the simplevideo.zip examples from the Roku SDK and followed a guide on the wowza forum to side load the app into the Roku. After telneting into the Roku and getting some key I was able to get the .zip file loaded in from a web browser. The app did not respond to the OK button so I don't know if it would have worked.

I mean, this is just plain nuts, after all I know the Roku 4 can play NASA UHD because I did it before and It was awesome.

So in conclusion we have 1000's of streaming channels with HLS, MP4, RTMP, MKV ect and yet, not a single app that I can find that will let some one say, Here, I would like to stream http://192.168.0.34:8080/smartdvb , WOW and to think Plex was doing this before an update. I almost think that Roku doesn't really want us to be able to do this.

What we really need is a simple Roku app that looks for http://192.168.0.1/Playlist.m3u so all we have to do is edit a text file with notepad to test all of our different streams.

By the way, the PleX version (using the IPTV plugin) that works with the ROKU 4 and streams NASA TV UHD is version 0.9.12.19. I have it installed on the SmartDVB computer for now as a work around. I would rather not have two PleX servers running, but at least it works.

Just a reminder, you have to access the IPTV plugin through the "Roku Media Player" app, in others words DLNA style! Oh and if it doesn't play the first time, just try it again, and maybe again.

Reactions: fred555
So here is the final How to play NASA UHD on your Roku4

Hardware used in this project
PC With Windows 7
TBS6922SE PCI-E card
Roku4

Install SmartDVB and tune in the channel
Turn on HTTP streaming
Install PleX Media Server version 0.9.12.19
Install the IPTV.bundle plugin (https://github.com/Cigaras/IPTV.bundle)
Edit the IPTV plugin playlist file at IPTV.bundle\Content\Resources\playlist.m3u to read like the following (with your IP of course):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,NASA UHD
http://192.168.0.34:8080/smartdvb

Browse to the "Roku Media Player" app > Plex > Video > Video Channels> IPTV > and play the "NASA UHD" item, if it doesn't play, try it again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)