New protection plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
What do you think the details are on the new plan? Covers tvs, computers, iPads, and tablets. That's all the details in the email I got. I'm curious as to the price and what the limits are. It's called Directv protection plan premium

I received the email on 2 days ago. It just said that and that they would keep the original plan and offer the new too. Don't say when it will be released or pricing or any exceptions to the new plan.

mabe the new option will let a tech come and replace your box VS having one shipped and then when it wont work ship another and then is still not working send the tech you need to start with 3 weeks prior, and not charge you $50

went to work today and got the briefing. I've been off last four days out with the flu.

So it will be 19.99 a month and it will essentially be an extended warranty on any device that allows you to watch Directv. Smart phones, tablets, iPads, laptops, pc

For 24.95 you can get accidental damage/water damage on all devices Except smart phones.

How they will cover it is by offering in home repair, or you sending the device to a repair facility. Offering a 3 day guarantee of the device sent in.

Only catch is there is a $50 service fee anytime you need something done.

But they are claiming repair or replace.
And the claim amount is pretty good, if I remember right it could be 6k a year is the claim limit.

Must have a 30 day no claim period.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

At $240 A year, plus $50 incident, will be a hard sell. $290 buys most laptops or ipads (entry level refurb). Yet another insurance plan pushed on people...

Yep all that. Maybe not projectors.. But all of the others. Yeah I don't get why they are doing this..

I would imagine that such a plan would not attract attention from most of the folks who post on these forums simply because the level of expertise here would have most folks solving their own problems. But, I know lots of people who have no idea how any of this works and would probably think the option of having all their electronics guaranteed for about $20 bucks a month would consider it a deal.

So, who diagnoses problems, the D* tech that comes to the gouse to set up your D* service ?

Now Installer/repair for D* techs need to learn how to work every computer/tablet, TV and whatever else comes out ?

Good luck with that.

i am pretty sure Directv is going to have a crew of other Electronics repair people that they will dispatch.

OSD771 said:
i am pretty sure Directv is going to have a crew of other Electronics repair people that they will dispatch.

I hope. I don't want anything to do with it! I hate having to confirm damage claims let alone other stuff like that

I would imagine it will be admin'd by NEW, they underwrite the current protection plan.

Little things get a prepaid box UPS'd to customer. Big things get a onsite service call. NEW is one of the bigger extended service plan administrators.

Next question, is this $20 include the regular service plan, making it $13 extra for TVs etc, or is it $20 on top of the regular Directv service plan?

Does it include accidental damage protection in the case of portable electronics?

How about DirecTV "Accessories" like the AM21 or Nomad, their existing plan excludes those (silly really).

$13 a month to cover iPads, laptops, TVs, etc could be feasible if it included accidental damage coverage, but at the price I doubt it does.

I had one of my peeps email the text from dtv own systems. You are right it is still NEW, this is nothing new pardon the pun. This is something NEW has done with other providers for the same cost. Verizon HSI has this same option available to them. Just more cookie cutter plans to get people to spend money. I bought a 8 dollar 35mm headphone wire ( M to M ) for connecting a friends htpc to his tv ( HDMI was not an option ) The guy at radioshack tried selling me .99 cent protection plan on the cable lol.

I would imagine it will be admin'd by NEW, they underwrite the current protection plan.

Little things get a prepaid box UPS'd to customer. Big things get a onsite service call. NEW is one of the bigger extended service plan administrators.

Next question, is this $20 include the regular service plan, making it $13 extra for TVs etc, or is it $20 on top of the regular Directv service plan?

Does it include accidental damage protection in the case of portable electronics?

How about DirecTV "Accessories" like the AM21 or Nomad, their existing plan excludes those (silly really).

$13 a month to cover iPads, laptops, TVs, etc could be feasible if it included accidental damage coverage, but at the price I doubt it does.

Even as a dealer I can't see spending $20 per month for an extended warranty on electronics.

My issue is when electronics go bad, I want it replaced immediatly instead of going through the hassle to file a claim.

The last extended warranty I bought was from Best Buy, I had a ligitiment claim and they denied it for some stupid reason. Needless to say that was the last extended warranty I ever bought.

I made Bestbuy mad at me. When my DLP went ( bad dlp chip ) they wanted to replace the whole light engine with an incompatible part. As the part ofr my tv was on back order for 4 + weeks. I told them no fix it with the right parts or replace it. They replaced it and I stuck it too them. They tried getting off cheap with some so so insigna 55 tv. I said no I bought a samsung and I was going to get a samsung 55 inch tv. They only had one at the time and they swallowed up and took the loss which they let me put a new pro plan on the that tv.

Now on computers best buy warranty is useless. Only extended warranty plans I ever cared for were 1. dell/hp accidental damage warranty and 2. Applecare.

Even as a dealer I can't see spending $20 per month for an extended warranty on electronics.

My issue is when electronics go bad, I want it replaced immediatly instead of going through the hassle to file a claim.

The last extended warranty I bought was from Best Buy, I had a ligitiment claim and they denied it for some stupid reason. Needless to say that was the last extended warranty I ever bought.

Status
Please reply by conversation.