New Receiver: H23 (UPDATE: Now with Pictures)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dumb questions!

What's a BBC?

What's SWM?

What's a BBC? Broad Band Converter

What's SWM? Single Wire Multiswitch

Carl,
There are no dumb questions :

FYI,
BBC's are a filter type device that allows your current H series rec's to pick up the new mpeg 4 channels, it moves then to a different frequencey.

SWM.
It is a device that will allow you to use the dual tuners on your DVR with only one line coming into the house.

Jimbo

You keep talking about the HR2xDVR, this review and thread IS NOT about a DVR. The H2x never had the light ring and most likely never will.
Oh...I didn't realize this was abotu a non DVR receiver. Did they come out with a nw HD DVR IRD as well?
You must not have known, you can turn those lights OFF.....
Jimbo, can you tell me how?

Carl,
There are no dumb questions :

FYI,
BBC's are a filter type device that allows your current H series rec's to pick up the new mpeg 4 channels, it moves then to a different frequencey.

SWM.
It is a device that will allow you to use the dual tuners on your DVR with only one line coming into the house.

Jimbo

Thank you also Jimbo for the elaboration on the terminology. I guess I have an SWM for my Dish ViP222 receiver as the single line in goes into a "splitter" of sorts and feeds each of the two tuner inputs on the back of the receiver sounds like an SWM.

"I guess I have an SWM for my Dish ViP222 receiver" - no, you can't. SWM is sole DTV proprietary switch. No one Dish IRD/DVR will works with it !

Thank you. I found that searching for BBC and SWM only provided me links to more posts using the acronyms without defining them.

Carl B.

A BBC is actually a B-band converter NOT a broad band converter. It converts signals from the DirecTV10 satellite (and soon DirecTV11) from the b-band (the signals from the Ka-lo band after downconversion) to the a-band (signals from Ka-hi after downconversion) so that the receivers can receive the signals.

"I guess I have an SWM for my Dish ViP222 receiver" - no, you can't. SWM is sole DTV proprietary switch. No one Dish IRD/DVR will works with it !

Little touchy tonight Smith ?

Carl,
What you have on your DISH set up may do the same thing in the long run, allowing you to use one line for your DISH set up, but they are very different animals.

The SWM is a D* design, so NO it's not the same set up as what DISH uses.

Jimbo

IMHO, you won't see an ATSC tuner in the non-DVR HD boxes from D*. Why, they probably feel that just about every HD set will have a ATSC tuner in it to allow for any channels that D* doesn't carry via HD LIL. Why spend the dollars to port the software from the HR21 over to the H21/H23 STB's when it really doesn't buy them anything.

IMHO, you won't see an ATSC tuner in the non-DVR HD boxes from D*. Why, they probably feel that just about every HD set will have a ATSC tuner in it to allow for any channels that D* doesn't carry via HD LIL. Why spend the dollars to port the software from the HR21 over to the H21/H23 STB's when it really doesn't buy them anything.

Don't forget the cost of the hardware. They probably save $20 by not putting an ATSC tuner in the receiver.

Don't forget the cost of the hardware. They probably save $20 by not putting an ATSC tuner in the receiver.

$ 20, yippie.
I'd gladly pay an addl $ 20 for them to go back to the way it was before where they put the OTA tuners in the box.

The newer boxes will not allow you to use your OTA antenna and I think that is crap.

Jimbo

The issue with this , is the programming guide from your TV tuner will NOT be integrated into the D* guide .... that was one of the best things they improved on awhile back, now they are going backwards with it.

Jimbo

The issue with this , is the programming guide from your TV tuner will NOT be integrated into the D* guide .... that was one of the best things they improved on awhile back, now they are going backwards with it.

Jimbo

Agreeded, just saying what their logic might be. BTW, the gude data is still there in the STB, just for the SD channel, if there's something you'd want to see then you'd need to swith to the TV's tuner. That's all assuming that D* doesn't have the ATSC channel via DBS, which is their plan anyway so folks don't need to worry about OTA.

Agreeded, just saying what their logic might be. BTW, the gude data is still there in the STB, just for the SD channel, if there's something you'd want to see then you'd need to swith to the TV's tuner. That's all assuming that D* doesn't have the ATSC channel via DBS, which is their plan anyway so folks don't need to worry about OTA.

Also, It's always nice to have the OTA signal for when the storms roll in if you should lose the sat signal.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts