New SimCity

I want this game! I love SimCity and the commercials for the new game make me wanna go out an buy it. I want to build sewage plants by my fresh water, I want to build a hippie commune and surround it with pollution! Then when it's all said and done I can have Godzilla destroy my city after a typhoon, tornado, earthquake, fire storm. :)

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. It’s working – the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.
Here is an idea... how about allowing offline play for those like me who will NOT buy the game because of these inevitable issues we all knew would happen as witnessed by comments in this thread months ago? I will not buy a game I have to connect to the internet to play.

It's a more complex issue than that, the game was made to be online, every single car, sim, piece if ore, freight, metal, plastic, etc are all calculated and updated in real-time and much of it is done in the cloud rather than your computer.

Like Diablo 3 this will be a non-issue once launch issues are resolved.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Funny, all the vitrol for EA in the last 4 or so days and yet SimCity is number 1 on Amazon's PC game sale charts, and 6 other EA titles (SC4, Sims titles, Crysis) are in the top 10.

Maxis head today said that online-only was a Maxis decision, not EA's.

They will not be selling it to me. A game I cannot play without an internet connection is one I will not buy. I am happy others are excited about the game, but this online requirement will ensure I never even consider buying this game.

They will not be selling it to me. A game I cannot play without an internet connection is one I will not buy. I am happy others are excited about the game, but this online requirement will ensure I never even consider buying this game.

Well yeah, people who don't play online games aren't going to buy online games.

Well yeah, people who don't play online games aren't going to buy online games.

The point is that there was no reason that you have to be connected to the internet to play. Same goes for Diablo 3. Its not like you play as one huge world like WOW. They need to give you the choice to play online or offline.

The point is that there was no reason that you have to be connected to the internet to play. Same goes for Diablo 3. Its not like you play as one huge world like WOW. They need to give you the choice to play online or offline.

The entire region you are playing in is being simulated in the cloud, it is an online game as designed by Maxis not just tacked on DRM by EA.

If you've read anything to the contrary rather than just assumed is love to read it myself.

D3 is another beast entirely, using online connectivity to secure the integrity of their real-money auction house.

I understand what you are saying, but you are not listening to what I am saying. I don't give a rat's ass about any region when I am playing a game, by myself, alone with no one else. SimCity is NOT an online game by nature. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever it has to be connected to the internet other than tracking. I like SimCity and would love to play this game that is NOT an online game. The info from the "region" could be easily generated onboard and off line either randomly or as part of your game settings. I will wait til someone hacks the game to allow offline play before I play it.

I understand what you are saying, but you are not listening to what I am saying. I don't give a rat's ass about any region when I am playing a game, by myself, alone with no one else. SimCity is NOT an online game by nature. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever it has to be connected to the internet other than tracking. I like SimCity and would love to play this game that is NOT an online game. The info from the "region" could be easily generated onboard and off line either randomly or as part of your game settings. I will wait til someone hacks the game to allow offline play before I play it.

I've clearly listened to you more than you've read about the game or you'd understand being upset about this is like playing the Warcraft games and then being mad you can't play World of Warcraft offline.

SimCity is an online game. You clearly don't care why or how. It's not a token 'phone home' to satisfy some DRM. Even single player, the entire simulation of up to 20 or so cities and great works (airport, space center, etc) - as well as thousands if not millions of agents (sims, resources like ore, oil, etc) all happen on the server while you are working on a single city.

Sim City is not an online game. This version of sim city was made to work online and not given the option of continuing to play offline as all the other versions. I just do not accept that there is "no way" to play this offline, and by insisting that one must play online, EA is forfeiting additional revenue they could have from me and others like me who refuse to play online.

I could be wrong, but WoW was always an online game. SimCity NEVER was until this version/

Yeah I'm going to order my copy this week can't wait. They did not do the beta testing the correct way they should have left it open for at least a week and let users play more than a hour at a time. Now that they have gotten more servers online it seems the wait times have came down and have patch many things. They also are giving those folks that had purchased the game or pre-order it let them choose a Free game from EA so they are trying to make up for not having enough servers online. Besides the rough start overall the program itself seems to be allot of fun talking to those who have already been playing. :)

To me it's not that big of a deal Yes like with any big time program they should make sure it has enough servers online but this is not the first time a program had a rough start. This being a online program I'm not going to let that hold me back from playing a great program now that all being said reality most people machines are online all time any way. Plus I would say over half the things users do now days is something online rather it's just surfing or reading email or playing a game for the most part people have to be online to do most of the things they do to begin with. I do think that they should have or at some point let the single player be offline or not be on online to play I can see doing Multi Player being online but not for single player. Either way these are things they could always adjust overtime and I can not wait to get to playing due to the beta was allot of fun. :)

Yeah I'm going to order my copy this week can't wait. They did not do the beta testing the correct way they should have left it open for at least a week and let users play more than a hour at a time. Now that they have gotten more servers online it seems the wait times have came down and have patch many things. They also are giving those folks that had purchased the game or pre-order it let them choose a Free game from EA so they are trying to make up for not having enough servers online. Besides the rough start overall the program itself seems to be allot of fun talking to those who have already been playing. :)
Make sure you activate it before this week ends. Would be nice to know though which games are eligible.

Make sure you activate it before this week ends. Would be nice to know though which games are eligible.

Just put my order in today on Amazon should get it on Wednesday got the Official Game guide in today. :)

Why not just download it on Origin? You'd get it immediately, unless Amazon was running some sort of promotion on the boxed edition..

Why not just download it on Origin? You'd get it immediately, unless Amazon was running some sort of promotion on the boxed edition..

Yeah I could have done that but had a gift card to use from Amazon.

I still would have just opted for the download version, the disc is just like 2gb of the client, it will have to download another 3gb before it expands to 13gb. Numbers are approximate but you get the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)