New SimCity

Outside of launch overload, I didn't think offline mode was as big of a deal as people made it out to be. I mean most of us download our PC games and keep our computers connected to the internet all the time anyways. That opinion changed a little bit when I played Diablo 3 for the first time last week.

I have a good internet connection hard wired into my PC but I was experiencing rubberbanding and my character doing the attack animations but nothing happening to the enemies. Now this happens from time to time when playing multiplayer games even if you do normally have a solid connection. The problem is that I was playing single player and seeing lag like the days when I used to play PS2 online with a dial-up modem.

It wasn't just me either. The game has a text chat system that connects you to other players even if they aren't in your game. No one has used it any time I have played since that first night but that day the chat was blowing up every few seconds with people complaining about the terrible lag.

We are in a connected world now and I am ok with games running stuff off a remote server as long as two conditions are met.

1. There has to be a benefit for requiring me to use these servers. If you can add something to the game by using a dedicated server that's great. Titanfall might be a bad example because it's a multiplayer only game but they are running all the AI on their servers instead of our consoles. I can see the potential in stuff like that. Run AI or other CPU intensive things on some beefy server that is much more powerful than the systems we are playing on. Give me some kind of integration with my friends in a single player game because the worlds are connected to one server. Basically give me something creative that justifies the requirement to be online for a single player game.

2. It has to work. I understand that there is going to be downtime with every online service at some point. I have experienced it on PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, Netflix, and even Satelliteguys.us. I'm not asking for 100% 24/7 perfection. If there is a problem a couple days a year I can play something else. I understand that things break sometimes even for the best services. The problem is that online services keep launching with no where near enough server bandwidth to handle the demand. I get it, you are going to see huge spikes at launch and probably never see that kind of demand again. You don't want to pay for extra servers you might only need for a few weeks.

If you are a small time indie and just don't have the money that's one thing. Sim City was backed by EA and Diablo 3 is backed by Blizzard/Activision. These are probably the biggest publishers in the industry and they always have more games launching. There has to be a way for EA to create a pool of servers for all their games. That way when something like Sim City launches they can take some extra servers from Battlefield or other games to help cover the launch rush. It's not like these extra servers become trash as soon as the demand dies down. There are always going to be new launches that could take advantage of the extra servers. It's time to stop releasing games when you know going in that you don't have enough servers to handle it.

I think part of the huge outcry was to send a message to EA, and to the fans' credit, it worked. Most people don't have a problem with the idea of online only in general, but when you take a game that has basically been a completely offline affair and now declare that it HAS to be online, people are not going to take it well. Also, the fact that the new Simcity arguably had less features than Simcity 4 made it seem like an unnecessary game. Finally, the fact that Maxis kept saying "Oh, we designed the game to be online all the time to take advantage of cloud computing" was totally debunked when people were able to get the game running for hours in hacked offline modes.

At the end of the day, the online only function was STRICTLY for DRM, which gamers HATE. And yes, while I understand the argument of "99% of the time our PCs are online so who cares?" argument, as King mentioned, if the game HAS to be online, it better be for a reason other than "Because we think all PC gamers are pirating a**holes that would make Jack Sparrow jealous!" We also forget that not everyone has steady internet access, and also it's annoying to know that if you want to say, play a game on your laptop while travelling, it's a little annoying to have to pay the airline for internet access just so you can "check in" your game with the servers and be allowed to play it.

It should also be noted that today also marks the shutting down of the Diablo auction house, which was supposed to be the "reason" why Diablo 3 had to be online only. So basically two of the biggest game companies in the world were told to "Cut the sh*t" by their customer base, and they obliged. I'd say that was a nice win for us gamers. And before people start throwing sales statistics at me to say that the companies won in the end, don't forget that REMOVING these features also cost money, and these companies decided that it was better for business to remove these features than to leave them in.

Cities Skylines sold 500k copies in a week. Looks like people really are looking for city simulators without the name "Sim" in them.

My thought were ripped from my brain and given to this game developer---From the article:
"I think they lost sight of what people look for when they play this kind of simulation game," Hallikainen said. "I've always seen them as single-player, your own sandbox, you get to do whatever you want, and you don't have to worry about what other people are doing. That's why I play them. I don't like multiplayer games because I suck at them."

I knew I wasn't the only one that felt this way when the new SimCity announced it would be online community only.

"I think they lost sight of what people look for when they play this kind of simulation game," Hallikainen said. "I've always seen them as single-player, your own sandbox, you get to do whatever you want, and you don't have to worry about what other people are doing. That's why I play them. I don't like multiplayer games because I suck at them."
And that's why minecraft took off like it did, as simple a game as it is. People like to build things in a sandbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts