New Software Updates Discussion Thread

So you could miss updates ? I presume they spool for a decent time though, like 24 hours or more, so as long as you checked twice a day, you'd probably be fine.

Technically speaking yes. But they will have to remove the update from the stream in a few hours after spooling it. That happened with a 622 update that went bad, by the time I checked again it was gone. BTW I check at 5:30 AM and around 9:00 PM, they usually spool software around 11:00 PM (all Pacific time).

The only downside is the inability to hide 'questionable' programming from the wife. :D

Ha ha!

I too had been recording all my programs and then exporting them to the hard drive. It was easier to do it that way instead of all the "Locked Event" listings on the DVR list......

I liked the folders for organizing programs but I'll go back to the old way if it sends my external drive content back to the USB Storage area only.....

I found where and when this happened before:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...n-409-a-2.html

Exact same thing - satellite-delivered HD locals in 1080i had problems when delayed or recorded - in version 406 and then version 409 and was rolled back to 405 on July 24, 2007. Version 441 was spooled 3 weeks later with "MPEG4 macroblocking fix".

I have heard that this time, E* will spool a L511 fix rather than rolling back... maybe it just includes the code from L441 ?

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Dish Technical Support and the "Tier 3" tech I got was not aware that any issues existed with L510 and pretty much said they couldnt do anything for me. In fact when my wife called earlier they wanted to replace the receiver as we are getting the same macroblocking on HD content on our 622....

This is getting old really quick.

--DD73

Just got off the phone with Dish Technical Support and the "Tier 3" tech I got was not aware that any issues existed with L510 and pretty much said they couldnt do anything for me. In fact when my wife called earlier they wanted to replace the receiver as we are getting the same macroblocking on HD content on our 622....

This is getting old really quick.

--DD73

The Phone Tech Support people are uninformed.

There is a version L511 which is believed to solve the problem which is being tested right now.

I saw a cool new feature in the software.. the popup menu for guide info when you're on a channel (the darker one, not the see through one) shows the satellite it's connected to..

The Phone Tech Support people are uninformed.

There is a version L511 which is believed to solve the problem which is being tested right now.

So when did the load go into test? Any word from the insiders on when this may be spooled to the masses or at least a widers beta test? I wouldnt mind being a guinea pig for the beta test due to how annoying this is...

--DD73

FW: L439, Model: ViP211/ViP211

I wanted to share these findings while trying the new firmware:
L439 for the Model: ViP211/ViP211.

Noticeable changes:
1. Changes were made to the System Setup->Installation->System Info page inside "Details". Now has the "STB Health Lite". All values are in cero... maybe because the signal status is Good at the moment of this test.

Not Fixed:
1. Problem with some OTA channels were the sound is very low to be heard when using the optical cable. While the optical cable is not working correctly, the HDMI has a normal level of sound in the same channel.

2. You still can't add an OTA channel that doesn't broadcast its assigned channel number. Ex. if you have an OTA channel transmiting from digital channel 15 and its corresponding analog channel is 14. If digital channel 15 doesn't broadcast that it is channel number 14, the channel is never added to the guide.

FWIW, I know I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to report the same things happening with recorded local HDTV on our 622 with version 5.10.

It doesn't seem to matter when the show aired; the problem is with playback. The wife and I sat down last night to watch stuff we DVR'd last December (so I'm a little behind on my CSI . . .) and we just couldn't watch it. Tearing, macroblocking, choppy sound--just unwatchable.

We found this on all our CBS and NBC shows we recorded. We get LIL HD, these aren't from an antenna.

Other stuff we've recorded from other stations was fine.

This is almost enough to make us DirecTV customers.

Can't find this. Please explain. I don't see anything on the guide info. What button did you press?
I'm presuming you press "INFO" or "SELECT" but press it twice... The first press gives you the translucent pop-up and the second press changes it to non-see-through.

Replacement 722

DirectTV dish on Dish Network system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts