New Subscribers

tech1700

Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Dose anyone suggest to still sign up for Voom, or should I just go to Directv. My TV is showing up tomorrow and I would like to see the superbowl in HD so should I go with voom to get the free equipment and install or should I pay the 300 for the directv box.

Thanks

tech1700 said:
Dose anyone suggest to still sign up for Voom, or should I just go to Directv. My TV is showing up tomorrow and I would like to see the superbowl in HD so should I go with voom to get the free equipment and install or should I pay the 300 for the directv box.

Thanks

If the goal is the Superbowl in HD, HDTV's generally have built-in OTA tuners so no satellite needed.

If you meant HD monitor, yes you would need an STB OTA tuner. Voom box is $1 and $5/mnth right now, the Direct box will be obsolete when mpeg4 is out so you will be out some $$$ (depending on what if any upgrade program Direct comes out with then).

Rob.

Where can I find an installer for an ota antenna, I have no clue how to install, wire, and aim an antenna.

tech1700 said:
Where can I find an installer for an ota antenna, I have no clue how to install, wire, and aim an antenna.

best buys, radio shack both sell the antenna's for your needs

If I get voom, and then got to Direct, do the direct installers have to rewire?

Hey Tech, I would suggest going to www.antennaweb.org and fill out the required information and see what you get. This will give you a good idea of what you can expect to get for your OTA channels. Let us know what you get.

tech1700 said:

Thanks

Without a doubt I'd get VOOM. It's only a $1 for 3 receiver and install. Plus you'll actually use your TV for what it was made for....... HD!

I got a 60/40 split between blue and violet, more violet. The blue were anywhere between 25-32 miles away and no need for VHF. It says that I need a "Medium Directional Antenna with pre-amp". Will the supplied voom ota antenna work for me?

I think you will be fine with what Voom will give you. If you do have problems getting locals with the supplied antenna you can call and possibly get an upgrade antenna. There are allot of factors that go into getting good reception with an antenna. Do some searching on this site and you will find all you need to know. Hope this helps.

tech1700 said:
I got a 60/40 split between blue and violet, more violet. The blue were anywhere between 25-32 miles away and no need for VHF. It says that I need a "Medium Directional Antenna with pre-amp". Will the supplied voom ota antenna work for me?

I would call Voom and ask the installer to bring a medium directional antenna out when he comes out for the install. Just tell the CSR that antennaweb suggested this type of OTA antenna for your area. I believe that the installers are now trying to install the suggest antenna for areas to keep down service calls.

I got upgraded to a Channelmaster 4228 which is a large directional antenna (square shape) and I am about 20 miles from my local towers. The other directional antanna that I have heard install is the Wineguard which is a smaller version of the Channelmaster 4228. sorry I don't know the model number of the Wineguard.

Is there any way to get the intaller to bring out one of those square shooters, it looks more contained than many other ota antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts