New to Dish Network/ViP622

okypinoky

Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Good Afternnon:

First, please forgive any duplications in my many questions below. I had done my best at searching the forums, but have found little info and even less details about some of my questions. I moved from DirecTV and TiVo on Friday to Dish Network and the ViP622. Obviously, coming from the TiVo world, I have many questions/comments. I had two DVRs installed, one 622 and the other the regular DVR. Each DVR has its own TV and is not connected to anything else. So, in the true'st of TiVo fashions, each TV has sole control of both their respective DVR's tuners. Additionally, for this discussion purpose, I have the DVRs in SINGLE Mode (which is what I "think" I would want in this case).

1. I noticed that when my kids turned on the HD DVR's TV the screen was blank and had to turn on the HD DVR. After reading the (poorly developed) manul, I noted the default of "Off after 4 hours of inactivitly" setting and DISABLED this function. I found that turning on the HD DVR was troublesome (after seeing it for the first time) since it asked a couple of questions when the DVR was turned back on (seems like it was something about mapping the remote - perhaps not). Regardless, I do not understand why the DVR would ever need to power "off" or go into standby. However I did see several post mentioing a software release and installing only after the DVR has powered off. Can someone detail why I should or should not allow the DVR to power off and what screens I shuold expect when I power back on should it turn off.

2. I noticed that unlike TiVo, I was unable to pause one tuner, switch to the other, and then return back to the paused tuner - and it still be paused. Apparently, when you switch tuners the tuner you are leaving, if paused, will return/jump to "live" TV. This is very Un-TiVo like, since I have gotten very used to watching two live programs at once. I did note that a work around would be to pause the tuner, open my PiP, swap, and tune into the new channel I want to watch. With PiP open I am able to pause each tuner. Am I missing something in my setup, or it this a function I will have to get used to. One would think that if it can pause two tuners at once (with PiP open), you can pause two tuners with PiP closed.

3. I noticed that since I have my local channel guide priority set to HD, my channel guide lists the HD in the "station number area" (for me - Washington DC -channels 4,5,7 and 9). Likewise, my OTA channels also reside in this area. As such, my guide will show two each of the local channels - all of which come in great. Additionally, I noted that my local channels also show up in the 8000 area as well as the 6000 area. Can anyone explain the reasoning for so many additional listings for the same local channels?

4. I have read in this forum that my 622 HD DVR can record via three tuners - one each of the HD tuners as well as the OTA channels. Can someone explain this. Am I to assume that you can record two programs as well as watch/record a third on any of the "yellow" channels listed in the guide??

I know this is alot to ask, however any assistance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!!
smile.gif

R/
RND (a.k.a Okypinoky)

1. If you dont allow your receiver to go into standby, it wont download the software or program Guide updates. They generally get sent at 3 am (there's a setting for the time and option enabled, some turn this off because some software updates cause more issues than they solve). .
2. I too noticed this - sounds like an engancement request.
3. The HD locals and the same locals in SD, hence what appears as duplication.
4. That is my understanding but i dont have OTA.

I have read in this forum that my 622 HD DVR can record via three tuners - one each of the HD tuners as well as the OTA channels. Can someone explain this. Am I to assume that you can record two programs as well as watch/record a third on any of the "yellow" channels listed in the guide??

You can record from 3 tuners and even watch a recording all at the same time. You have 2 sat tuners and 1 OTA tuner so you are limited in those regards.

Some others will chime in and tell you that you can record from three tuners and watch 2 shows if in dual mode, but I have not attempted it as I have never used dual mode.

Last edited:
Clearly a workaround, but regarding #2 above, can you just record both shows you want to watch? when you switch back and forth then, it will hopefully remember where you left off.

I'm lurking as I'm thinking of calling Dish and making the jump to the 622. (have a 501 and a 508 now)

Clearly a workaround, but regarding #2 above, can you just record both shows you want to watch? when you switch back and forth then, it will hopefully remember where you left off.

I'm lurking as I'm thinking of calling Dish and making the jump to the 622. (have a 501 and a 508 now)

recording it wont make it behave differently, i dont belive, basically doing PIP window close cancel's the pause and hit's the live

BTW Did a bit more experimenting the pause does work until you close the PIP window, so you can pause it whilst you look at the other tuner.

i.e pause - PIP - -Swap - (pause still heldfor tuner 1) -pause PIP swap (now both are paused and you can watch and swicth as you wish. However as soon as you close the PIP window it will lose the pause.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts