new to HDTV could use some help

Bob Mcd

Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Foxborough MA
Hi all

Just purchased an Accurian stb from radio shack $89.99. I have a Hitachi 51f510 Rptv HD monitor. Not sure what type of antenna I would need to receive ota signal. I have already used antenna web and 5120....ant web says main towers are appox. 20miles away...highest color code I would need is dark blue. Questions 1) How large of antenna? 2) Will trees really interfer that much with signal?

That's Ok I ' m just not sure which antenna I need ....have been hooked up to cable for so long never needed one would go to Hd w/ cable but will cost about $60.00 a month why pay if I can get Hd for free.

20 miles... in MA... who knows... if anything hit the Rat shack for a uhf indoor and try...( the sites are not always correct if they were I could get Odessa Midland and thats 180 miles away)then there are the standards... silver sensor etc...not to get your hopes up but...

Before you buy anything click on dougruss's link. This will give you a rough idea of what kind of antenna you need and what you will get.

Yes try antennaweb.org they will tell you what kind of antenna they are looking for.

When antenna shopping I tend to stay away from TERK antennas, the specs sound good but they never deliver for me.

Go for the best antenna you can afford, with the best being one on the roof with a roter

Bob Mcd said:
Hi all

Just purchased an Accurian stb from radio shack $89.99. I have a Hitachi 51f510 Rptv HD monitor. Not sure what type of antenna I would need to receive ota signal. I have already used antenna web and 5120....ant web says main towers are appox. 20miles away...highest color code I would need is dark blue. Questions 1) How large of antenna? 2) Will trees really interfer that much with signal?

So you have already been to antennaweb. Blue is a medium directional antenna w/ a pre-amp. If you are mounting it in an attic, you probably need to up that to a large directional w/ a pre-amp.

You didn't say what the frequency assignment is of the stations you want to receive. If they are all UHF, then a lot of antennas would fill the bill as large directional antennas. For example, CM 4228, Winegard PR-8800, Antennas Direct DB-8, CM 4248, Winegard PR-9032, and Antennas Direct XG91. For a pre-amp, most prefer a CM 7775 or 7777. If you are mounting outside, there are medium level versions of most of the foregoing listing of antennas from those vendors.

For one close channel in the opposite direction, you may be able to pick up the signal w/ your antenna pointed at the others. Try it first before buying a rotor (not a good choice if you have or plan to get a DVR) or a second antenna and JoinTenna.

ces websight has lots of information on stations for each location, and recommends antennas. i just hooked mine into an old analogue uhf/vhf antenna and bang great pics. the ces websight, antennaweb will also let you see what channels are broadcasting on vhf and uhf. most are in the uhf band

We got a new TV at work and we did not have an antenna, I wanted to see if it picked up anything and stuck a paper clip in the antenna jack. It easily picked up all of the hartford and springfield DTV signals!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)