New Wally Receiver to Launch March 17th

I went into a little mom and pop pizza shop near me tonight to pick up a few pizzas and I noticed the TV they had up in the corner was hooked up to what looked like a Joey. So I walked over and saw that it was connected to a Wally, first time I have seen one in person. I'm not sure how it was hooked up, but the picture on the HD local news was wrong with a black bar at top and bottom as if the TV size or aspect ratio was set wrong. They had a TV on the other side of the restaurant with the same program on properly displayed, but I couldn't see the source assume another Wally. So I says to the young waitress behind the counter, "The aspect ratio is wrong on that TV". She had no idea what I was talking about. I kept looking around for the remote because everything within me wanted to fix it.

I'm not sure how it was hooked up, but the picture on the HD local news was wrong with a black bar at top and bottom as if the TV size or aspect ratio was set wrong. They had a TV on the other side of the restaurant with the same program on properly displayed, but I couldn't see the source assume another Wally.

Be willing to bet the Wally was feeding BOTH TV's; the 2nd one via a (cheap) RF mod...so they didn't have to pay (monthly) for another receiver... ;)
You'd be surprised just how many people couldn't give two $hits about things like "proper aspect ratio" on a TV...as long as there's a picture that's somewhat clear, that's all that matters. :p

Reactions: pattykay and DWS44
You'd be surprised just how many people couldn't give two $hits about things like "proper aspect ratio" on a TV...as long as there's a picture that's somewhat clear, that's all that matters.

Sad, but very true...and not just with TV. I see our company logo bent, stretched, squished, you name it, on all sorts of documents that leave our company from folks who add the logo to a word doc or power point and just bend and stretch till it fits wherever they want it...look/aspect be damned. Same with other pictures they add. Many times, seems I'm the only one who notices or cares. :strike

Reactions: dishrich
Not to go too far afield from the Wally topic, but DWS44, your company needs to send out a letter regarding preserving your brand. Your company could lose your trademark if too many versions of the logo are in the wild on official documents (documents that your company and its employees have provided).

Our company has very clear guidelines on acceptable use of the logo and brand. I have seen where our app developers have not specified a non-serifed font for our company name on titles (there are even sanctioned .gif and .jpg versions of our logo they could easily be using) but they don't care or it's too much effort, I guess.

Sic the Corporate Lawyers on 'em!

Be willing to bet the Wally was feeding BOTH TV's; the 2nd one via a (cheap) RF mod...so they didn't have to pay (monthly) for another receiver... ;)
You'd be surprised just how many people couldn't give two $hits about things like "proper aspect ratio" on a TV...as long as there's a picture that's somewhat clear, that's all that matters. :p

You could be right, but the odd thing is the Wally was sitting right next to the TV with wrong aspect ratio and the other TV was on the other side of the restaurant and had the proper aspect ratio. I couldn't see where the feed was coming from on that TV though.

It is compatible with the Tailgater, however the software currently needs to be downloaded from a normal dish installation. Keep in mind that customer service agents, like the Social Media/DIRT team, can only provide information that we have regarding certain products. I just checked on an account and it does not appear that the Wally is available to purchase through CSR's yet, which is why some CSRs may have been saying it cannot be added. This is supposed to be used as a receiver for tailgating/rv purposes and not as an additional receiver in the home on Hopper accounts, just like the 211.

This is the information we have regarding the Wally.
  • It allows customers to enjoy the new UI experience without a DVR
  • It provides an HD option for customers who don’t have a Hopper in their home
    • Wally will not work in the same home as a Hopper
  • Hopper customers can use it as a DISH Outdoors receiver

So is this like a Wally 2.0? What's the difference between this Wally and the first one? I'm still on a 211k and debating when (if ever) is a good time to make the jump to a Wally, but now if there's a newer version I don't know. I also like having my OTA tuner built-in on my 211k, and I haven't heard a clear consensus on whether the new OTA dongle is better (or worse) than a built in tuner.... decisions, decisions :eek:

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts