Newbie Hopper Question / HWS?

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I'm scheduled for a (2) hopper (2) joey upgrade/install this Friday. I've been browsing the forum just trying to get as much general hopper set-up/operation/feature information as possible. I see where some mention "HWS" as far as hooking up their 2nd hopper. What is HWS? Will that be used for my set-up? I currently have a Turbo HD dish which has three feeds that go directly to my three receivers. (2) 622's and (1) 722. I'm not at home to confirm, but I'm certain that while running a "check switch" the 3 sats are 1K.4.
With that information, are there any thoughts as to how they may hook me up.
All of my 4 tv's which the hoppers and joeys will service are already set up to receive the equipment as far as RG6 from the point of origin where the sat feeds currently enter the house.
I'm just wondering if there may be different ways to hook up the package which have different advantages/disadvantages?

HWS is Hopper with Sling. It's the new version of the Hopper with Sling built in. It also includes features like Ipad Transfers.

You won't get HWS unless you specifically request one as Dish still has old Hopper inventory to clear out. You should check with DIRT as to what you are signed up for.

You can see wiring diagrams here as to how the system is connected: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=279755

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Basic setup would be 3 coax from dish to duo node, 1 line from node to 1 Hopper, 2nd line from node to 2nd Hopper, 3rd line from node cascaded to all Joeys on system.

I would of thought that each of the 2 joeys would be individually hooked up to the 2 "client" outputs coming from the duo node. Would certain hook-ups matter as far as all of the hoppers and joeys bieng able to see eachother?
Also, what are the broadband requirements as far as location. Will having it hooked to one hopper suffice? How about Phone lines? (2 hopper/2 joey set-up)

I would of thought that each of the 2 joeys would be individually hooked up to the 2 "client" outputs coming from the duo node. Would certain hook-ups matter as far as all of the hoppers and joeys bieng able to see eachother?
Also, what are the broadband requirements as far as location. Will having it hooked to one hopper suffice? How about Phone lines? (2 hopper/2 joey set-up)

It really depends on how the installer sets it up. There is a ton of flexibility to how the system can be installed. The installer may install it where one line respectively to each hopper and each joey from the duo node. There is so many ways to actually install it. The only real difference in the way to install it is if you wanted to keep each hopper and joey separate from the other.

Again with flexibility on install. You can either hook up one hopper to your network via wireless or wired, turn on bridging and all boxes will have access, or the installer could put a HIC (hopper internet connector) near your internet router, run a coax to it and will provide internet that way.

An example of how they could install things, one wire from each host to each hopper, one wire going from the client side to a 2 way splitter then to each joey, and the other client side going to a HIC.

It really depends on how the installer sets it up. There is a ton of flexibility to how the system can be installed. The installer may install it where one line respectively to each hopper and each joey from the duo node. There is so many ways to actually install it. The only real difference in the way to install it is if you wanted to keep each hopper and joey separate from the other.

Again with flexibility on install. You can either hook up one hopper to your network via wireless or wired, turn on bridging and all boxes will have access, or the installer could put a HIC (hopper internet connector) near your internet router, run a coax to it and will provide internet that way.

An example of how they could install things, one wire from each host to each hopper, one wire going from the client side to a 2 way splitter then to each joey, and the other client side going to a HIC.

Thanks. This is all good to know. I was under the impression that no matter how the "Whole Home" system is hooked up both hoppers could see eachother and both joeys could see either hopper. I guess I need to discuss that with the installer to make sure I get exactly what I want if possible.
What I really want is for the hoppers to be able to see eachother and view recordings from eachother, and for each joey to be dedicated to a single hopper. Is this possible?

As long as all receivers go through the same node, they can "see" each other. This seems to be the most common setup and is one recommended by Dish. Other setups may work as well (I have heard with Joeys connect via eithernet or through the Moca and/or Hic work as well but, Dish may not recommend them).

As long as all receivers go through the same node, they can "see" each other. This seems to be the most common setup and is one recommended by Dish. Other setups may work as well (I have heard with Joeys connect via eithernet or through the Moca and/or Hic work as well but, Dish may not recommend them).
Not necessarily true. If you put an isolator on both host lines and just terminate the client ports, the isolator will split the satellite and moca signal to the joeys on that segment and not allow either hopper or joey to see the other.

Thanks. This is all good to know. I was under the impression that no matter how the "Whole Home" system is hooked up both hoppers could see eachother and both joeys could see either hopper. I guess I need to discuss that with the installer to make sure I get exactly what I want if possible.
What I really want is for the hoppers to be able to see eachother and view recordings from eachother, and for each joey to be dedicated to a single hopper. Is this possible?

using isolators I think would be a very special case, and only if you needed it. All of the other installations will allow the hoppers and joeys to see each other.

The way that it will work (unless you tell installer you want them on separate subnets of MoCA) the hoppers will be able to see the recordings on the other hoppers. The Joeys will also be able to see the recordings on both Hoppers, but will only be linked to one Hopper at a time. This means that if Joey A is connected to Hopper A, then when you watch live tv or schedule a recording, it will only set the recording on Hopper A. Now you can change the link to Hopper B and it will control live tv and recordings on only Hopper B. No matter which Hopper it is linked to, the Joey will be able to see and play recordings on either Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)