Newbie question LNB D1UP2016

padgett

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
This may be a dumb question but a search did not turn up anything. I have seen a legacy twin/dual LNB with casting number ED0077-23 . There are other numbers but are very faint, the top one seems to start D1UP2016 It is marked 110 and 119 (indicating satellites) and seems to fit a Dish Network dual yoke.

1) There are two coax connections, is this one per LNB or does it have an internal switch (twin/dual) ?
1a) If only one of the connections is needed for a legacy receiver, does it matter which ?
2) What dish is it designed for (Dish 500) ? Does it matter ? Could it be used with a Sony SAN 18D2 in the SE US ?
3) Which Satellite should be tuned first, 110 or 119 ?)

I have an electronic background but have not paid much attention to the technical aspect before, is there a good primer available ?

1. Its called a twin and there is a built in switch
1a. no does not matter and yes on one is needed
2. Dish 500, no on the sony
3. 119

What receiver are you hooking it up to, and what channels are you trying to get?

That would be a twin LNB. If it has any markings such as DP on it, then it isn't compatible with legacy receivers without additional parts.

The two coax connections allow you to connect 1 or 2 receivers. If it has DP or DP PLUS markings, it can connect to any number of receivers.

It doesn't matter which barrel you use. There is an internal switch that will handle signal routing. In their native state, one side will pick up 119 and the other will pick up 110 so hooking up a simple meter would just pick up the satellite marked on that barrel. New meters can control the internal switch so it wouldn't matter on initial setup for many people. However if you had a cheapo meter, the default state would come in handy.

It is designed for the Dish 500 and the first Dish 1000, although the 1000 is intended for the DP or DPP version of that LNB. It will physically fit it though. It won't fit the 1000.2 dish as the spacing is slightly wider due to the arm being longer.

It won't fit the Sony dish. Although you could try to rig something up, it probably won't do much good as the Sony dish is intended to focus in just one satellite.

119 would probably be the easiest to find as its signal tends to be slightly stronger than 110. This gives you a larger "sweet spot" in which to pick up some signal and know you are in the correct general area. Then just max it out. I usually prefer to then go to 110 and max it out since this produces a better 110 signal that is almost as high or equal to 119.

As for a primer, I think I just wrote it.

This may be a dumb question but a search did not turn up anything. I have seen a legacy twin/dual LNB with casting number ED0077-23 . There are other numbers but are very faint, the top one seems to start D1UP2016 It is marked 110 and 119 (indicating satellites) and seems to fit a Dish Network dual yoke.

1) There are two coax connections, is this one per LNB or does it have an internal switch (twin/dual) ?
Both connected to both LNBFs thru a switch.
1a) If only one of the connections is needed for a legacy receiver, does it matter which ?
No matter. But for easy setup, use that one what on 119W side.
2) What dish is it designed for (Dish 500) ? Does it matter ? Could it be used with a Sony SAN 18D2 in the SE US ?
Yes, dish500; not really - some use it for 0.7m dishes; it could but don't expect high level of signal.
3) Which Satellite should be tuned first, 110 or 119 ?)
Usually 119W with covered 110W by foil; don't forget to setup skew - probably your Sony dish doesn't allow that (!).

I have an electronic background but have not paid much attention to the technical aspect before, is there a good primer available ?
See my answers in bold.

Thank you that is pleanty and sounds like this project needs a different dish. No rush since everything is working properly now just have been thinking about building a portable unit if there is an RV in my future.

Thank you that is pleanty and sounds like this project needs a different dish. No rush since everything is working properly now just have been thinking about building a portable unit if there is an RV in my future.

If you need a spare 500 dish, look for ads for companies that are hiring DISH installers. Call them up and tell them you want to come by and fill out an application and get their address. Then just check the dumpster, there'll probably be 20 or 30 of them. Just be real careful or you might end up with a job working for them.

what switch would be needed if 2 dishes are used for one receiver

Need more information.

We need to know the following:

Number of receivers.
Model of receivers.
Which satellites you are trying to receive and off of which dish.
Type of LNBs you have currently such as Legacy (unmarked), DishPro, ProPlus, etc. Whether you have twin, dual, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)