Newbie (really Newbie) Questions

lblampman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
Whidbey Island, WA
Man, I hope I don't wear out my welcome on this one post! :eek:

I hadn't heard of Voom until about an hour ago. I've been an E* customer for the last 7 years. I've read many of the FAQ's here and some of the threads and just checked out the new promotion on the Voom website.

My first question is...I have no access to OTA signals here (not even non-HD stuff). I haven't been able to figure out if local channels (which I get on Dish) are broadcast (even SD) on Voom through the sat receiver without needing an OTA antenna?

I've got a Hitachi Ultrascan HD TV that I got about 3 years ago (ancient technology I'm sure) when E* started talking up HD. About the time the HD package was $7.95 or so and the 6000 took a drop in price for existing customers I signed up...they said it would take them 3 to 4 months before they could catch up and do the install but in the end they were never able to do the install at all so I just bagged it; mostly waiting for more HD content (doesn't that sound familiar!).

So am I going to miss the otherwise (to me) good program selection of AT180 in moving to Voom? And enjoy the HD content of Voom so much that it's worth it? [Mostly rhetorical questions, I know.] I wouldn't do it at all if I had to drop my local channels since without getting cable or keeping E* (not good for the budget) I've got no other way to get them.

Other than my specific question about the locals I'm really just trying to get an overall "feel" of this new Voom service before I make any drastic moves!

Thanks in advance for your comments! :bow

Les

Welcome to the forum!

VOOM currently doesn't offer any local channels via satellite. Instead, they provide an over-the-air (OTA) antenna and their receiver has a tuner for digital OTA channels, both HD and SD. First of all, go to www.antennaweb.org and check if you will be able to receive any digital station at your street address and what kind of antenna you might need for that.

As for satellite channels, go to www.VOOM.com and check their current lineup and the program guide. See if they have your favorite channels. Also, check our VOOM Programming forum about VOOM exclusive channels. It's a matter of personal preference. Only you can decide whether VOOM is for you or not.

Good luck!

Ilya said:
Welcome to the forum!

VOOM currently doesn't offer any local channels via satellite. Instead, they provide an over-the-air (OTA) antenna and their receiver has a tuner for digital OTA channels, both HD and SD. First of all, go to www.antennaweb.org and check if you will be able to receive any digital station at your street address and what kind of antenna you might need for that.

Good luck!

I checked out the antenna site; I'd say it's pretty darn accurate! It says I can get one (whopee!) channel off the air; it's a independent station located a bit north of us (toward the Canadian border). Nothing at all out of the Seattle area, which is what I experienced when I tried a standard rooftop antenna years back.

Guess it's E* for me for a while longer unless Comcast cable (which just started in our area) turns out to have a decent package.

Thanks!

The only other option for you is to get local-only package from your Cable company. Sometimes you can get that for just a few bucks. That's of course if you are ok with SD locals.

Ilya said:
The only other option for you is to get local-only package from your Cable company. Sometimes you can get that for just a few bucks. That's of course if you are ok with SD locals.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. I haven't really checked out the offerings yet from Comcast but that may be a good compromise. I really have been happy with E* over the years but after sitting here for the better part of three years with an HD-ready TV I'd like to see what HD looks like on it and E*'s offerings at the moment don't seem too good.

Thanks once again for the comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts