Newbie VOOM OTA problem

MasterFX1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hello All:
I've been lurkning for months, just had my first install attempt of VOOM this morning. My local OTA's are in the PG, but no signal. The diplexer and 8VSB module are hooked up.
My Zenith Sat520 and an indoor amplified Rabit ear/UHF Loop setup got all 4 of my local OTAs just fine in my basement window. I cannot believe that distance, elevation or obstructions are the problem for the stealth. It's outdoors and 2 stories higher.
So, is there a way to trouble shoot this? The CSR says to wait a day... but that seems like what I should do if it's not listed in the PG. Can I pull off the diplexor recieve add-on and hook that indoor antenna up and see if it works? Would this prove that the 8VSB module is working and isolate the problem to the diplexor or stealth?
Is there something simple that the installer should have done that I can do... like power the stealth or plug the stealth into the correct port on the switch?
Help, if it's a simple fix I really don't want to wait for Heckle & Jeckle (my installers) to return.

MasterFX1 said:
... Can I pull off the diplexor recieve add-on and hook that indoor antenna up and see if it works? Would this prove that the 8VSB module is working and isolate the problem to the diplexor or stealth?

Yes, I would try this first. Connect your indoor antenna directly and check the signal strength. Let us know.

Make sure they pointed the Stealth correctly. The wings should open up toward the towers. I've read lots of posts where they were installed backwards. I use my Stealth to receive local analog channels for my PC and it works great, unamplified from 25 miles out.

MasterFX1, welcome to the forum!
If you want to try the indoor antenna, make sure to remove the diplexer from the back of your STB. You need to unlock it first before pulling it off!

As for your Stealth, find out if it is amplified or not. If it is amplified, your wiring and the multi-switch (or the diplexer on the roof) must ensure that the voltage is passed from the STB to the antenna.

Well, the indoor antenna worked, so the 8VSB moule is OK, I guess.

The stealth antenna seems to be symetrical front to back... how would I know if it is backwards or not? The side that says "Winegard" is facing the tower.

It is an amplified stealth, I don't know how to check if it's getting power.

After looking at pictures I think I have a Winegard sensar II... what should the "Stealth" look like? How many install visits will this take to iron out?

EDIT:
Confirmed- Sensar II.

It's hooked up to a multi-switch, but I'm only using 1 STB. Is it possible the switch and splitter are mis-matched?. The installer did say he was borrowing pieces from other installs.

MasterFX1 said:
Is it possible the switch and splitter are mis-matched?. The installer did say he was borrowing pieces from other installs.
Very well could be. Sensar II is most likely amplified. If the multi-switch is not passing voltage to the antenna, it won't work. Call the installer and have him bring the correct type of multi-switch or diplexer.

Sensar II I have has a "Amplified" sticker right on it. The multi-switch/diplexor is looking more and more like the culprit.

Called installer, he said call him in the A.M. when his schedule is in front of him and he'll come back with his bucket of spare parts.

MasterFX1 said:
After looking at pictures I think I have a Winegard sensar II... what should the "Stealth" look like? How many install visits will this take to iron out?

EDIT:
Confirmed- Sensar II.

It's hooked up to a multi-switch, but I'm only using 1 STB. Is it possible the switch and splitter are mis-matched?. The installer did say he was borrowing pieces from other installs.
if you are only using one stb there is no need for a multi-switch...matter of fact if you need a multi-switch(3 or more stbs)then it has to be hooked up differently...because a multi will NOT pass the voltage...make sure you have a multi...will have 3 inputs one side 4 on other ...a diplexor willl have 3 inputs one side and 2 on the other...and as far as pointing the sensar...make sure where it says winegard is pointed towards tower

The small font under the link in the main forum explains that OTA issues belong here regardless of geographic lacation. It is our only means of creating some sort of organization in the main forum.

Well, just had install attempt #2... needless to say, they'll be an attempt three in the next few days.

After replacing the multi switch with a single line diplexor, I was 2 for 4 on OTA's.

The installer said, that's all I'll get. Then I unplugged the splitter, and plugged my uhf loop (in the basement) into the ant-in, and instantly got the missing channels. The installer then seemed to agree that maybe the diplexor or Sensar is sh*t, however, REFUSED to install a 2nd line or try the stealth without first getting a new Install Inc work order. "We're not set up as a non-for-profit," he said.

VOOM, you have one more install attempt before you take it all back. The installer said that was fine with him since he gets paid even more to come back and take it down!

MasterFX1 said:
Well, just had install attempt #2... needless to say, they'll be an attempt three in the next few days.

After replacing the multi switch with a single line diplexor, I was 2 for 4 on OTA's.

The installer said, that's all I'll get. Then I unplugged the splitter, and plugged my uhf loop (in the basement) into the ant-in, and instantly got the missing channels. The installer then seemed to agree that maybe the diplexor or Sensar is sh*t, however, REFUSED to install a 2nd line or try the stealth without first getting a new Install Inc work order. "We're not set up as a non-for-profit," he said.

VOOM, you have one more install attempt before you take it all back. The installer said that was fine with him since he gets paid even more to come back and take it down!
I'm confused...is the UHF loop you used being used by something else? Why not leave it hooked up if it picks up all of your OTA stations?

The UHF loop expereriences break-up on some channels pretty often, especially when the washer/dryer next to it are running. It also leaves cables draped in an ugly fashion. Compared to sitting in a window at ground level, surrounded by cynder blocks, I have to think a rooftop antenna would do better and even get the local low-powers as well. (I'm 22 miles from transmitters with unobscured LOS)

BTW, I'm looking at the "New" diplexer on the roof. It has two inputs on one side, and one on the other. I thought it should have 3/2. It does say diplexor on it, but it looks exactly like a splitter.

MasterFX1 said:
The UHF loop expereriences break-up on some channels pretty often, especially when the washer/dryer next to it are running. It also leaves cables draped in an ugly fashion. Compared to sitting in a window at ground level, surrounded by cynder blocks, I have to think a rooftop antenna would do better and even get the local low-powers as well. (I'm 22 miles from transmitters with unobscured LOS)

BTW, I'm looking at the "New" diplexer on the roof. It has two inputs on one side, and one on the other. I thought it should have 3/2. It does say diplexor on it, but it looks exactly like a splitter.
Yep it should look similar to this (this one only passes power to the dish)
90111960.jpg

Well I just called the installer to inform him that he again used the wrong diplexer, as wasch 24 points out, it needs to provide voltage to both sides,and the "new" one he used does not. He said he just learned that also from Installs Inc.

Installs Inc. could save a lot of money by training or atleast giving manuals to the installers. With all these install attempts per sub due to under-educated installers, Installs Inc should really invest in education. Who knows how many cacelled subs are directly due to this lack of education.

Back to my story, the installer then said he'll need to wait until they send him more diplexers. If the one they sell at the Radio Shack down the street didn't cost so much ($25) I'd buy my own and do it myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)