Next question. what is phone line requirment?? and switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
With Dish I pay the 5 bucks so I did not have to have a 75foot phone cord on floor to downstairs. They did not mention phone line requirments when setting up installation. Does Directv require a phone line? I have my wireless router setup at my downstairs for my xbox and replay. Can Directs boxs call in on router thru my Packet 8 VIOP? Or must I go buy a wireless phone jack>?

Thanks!

Oh and I only ordered 2 boxes. Will they install only a 2 way switch for the boxes. Should I take them up a free 3rd standard reciever to get a 4 way switch like with dish>?

Q: Does DirecTV require a phone line?

A: They stress it; but you ONLY need it to have full functionality of your receivers; such as remote ordering.

Q: Will they install only a 2 way switch?

A: The current DirecTV dish(es) have a built-in switch for up to 4 lines; you would only need an addition switch if you need 5 lines or more. Standard receivers get one line; and the DVR boxes get two lines. (Maybe only select DVR boxes need two lines). Someone will chime in to correct or back my on this question.

With the 5 LNB dishes, if you exceed the 4 lines, they will install a 8 line multiswitch for free. Just make sure you tell Directv ahead of time so they inform the installer on the order. I had an installer for my friend refuse to install one since it was not on the order.

If you are only getting 2 DVR's then you only need 4 lines. I doubt they will install the multiswitch unless you get a 5th line or negotiate it ahead of time with Directv.

With the 5 LNB dishes, if you exceed the 4 lines, they will install a 8 line multiswitch for free. Just make sure you tell Directv ahead of time so they inform the installer on the order. I had an installer for my friend refuse to install one since it was not on the order.

If you are only getting 2 DVR's then you only need 4 lines. I doubt they will install the multiswitch unless you get a 5th line or negotiate it ahead of time with Directv.

Even if you negotiate it with D* ahead of time, don't be surprised if the installer refuses to install one if it's not needed. The reason being (as I'm told by my company) is that D* won't reimburse the installation company for equipment not necessary to complete the installation, so the installation company would have to eat the cost of the switch.

Even if you negotiate it with D* ahead of time, don't be surprised if the installer refuses to install one if it's not needed. The reason being (as I'm told by my company) is that D* won't reimburse the installation company for equipment not necessary to complete the installation, so the installation company would have to eat the cost of the switch.

He's exactly right. Better get Directv to make it mandatory to install 5 lines causing the multiswitch. Best is add another receiver. You can always cancel the lease unit and send it back to Directv. That way, you got the 5th line and multiswitch.

Yes, the installers are very strict about ONLY installing what is on the order, therefore IF it's not on their order they can't install it and possibly won't have one on the truck either.
I do understand this as they are sent out to do the order and move on, making money on the number of installs in a day, not paid hourly.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts