Next Star Trek Movie to be a Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
More thoughts on better casting in addition to suggestions above:

Kirk: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Phillipe
Spock: Clive Owen, Campbell Scott
McCoy: Brad Pitt, Ewan McGregor
Uhura: Vivica Fox, Beyonce Knowles

This could be a kickass motion picture to reignite the franchise. Instead, they're making a Sci-Fi Channel movie.

I read last week that Winona Ryder has been cast as Spock's mother. Seems kind of young to me... but not expecting this movie to resurrect the franchise anyway :(

But I do agree that Zachary Quinto might make a good young spock.

I read last week that Winona Ryder has been cast as Spock's mother. Seems kind of young to me... but not expecting this movie to resurrect the franchise anyway :(

Winona Ryder is 36 years old. If she had Zachary at 18 or so, it's not too much of a push.... :) Zachary, on the other hand, is 30 years old. Maybe they do it differently on Vulcan! :D

Well if they do make Ryder a Vulcan then it will be easy enough to explain away the similiarities in age look by how a Vulcan ages.

I think the franchise got hurt with poor cast selections for Voyager and Enterprise, both captains left alot to be desired, one that was to much like a middle aged stepford wife and the other a clumsy somewhat feminine voiced goof ball better suited to a cheesey time travel show. DS9 went on to long but was ended on a good note with the founders wars but it was dead in the water in the middle and went nowhere. STNG did about the best aside from the original but it got hurt somewhat in the movies.

Have some faith that this story will turn out good if not great, casting it off as crap so soon can be a fools folly.

I beg to differ... While enjoying TNG... I liked Deep Space 9 better as it had more grit... didn't like them hanging Sisco like that at the end though... Janeway made a good Captain Imho, They did kinda jump the shark with Enterprise, but I still watch and its HD :)

I liked DS9 better than TNG, as dfergie said, it was grittier, more varied, more substance in many episodes. TNG hit it's stride in the 3rd and 4th seasons and then got fairly uneven in seasons 5, 6 and 7. Voyager was okay...some episodes were quite good, some were terrible. I did tire of Janeway's "*ss-chewing of the week".

Enterprise was interesting in the latter 2nd through 4th seasons. and I too watch it in HD.

DS9 was very good. But, from S3 on, TNG was definitely a better series than DS9. However, if you wanted a gritty show about a space station, the best one was Babylon 5, especially seasons 2-4.

DS9, as good as it was, ripped off a lot from B5, basically stealing J. Michael Stracynski's idea after rejecting it. If B5 had the money that DS9 did for production, it would have blown it, and every other sci-fi series, out of the water.

And, Van, Quantum Leap was not a "cheesy time travel show". It was an excellent series that used a sci-fi premise to tell great human stories, the way the best ST episodes did, like City on the Edge of Forever (TOS), or Inner Light (TNG), or Beyond The Stars (DS9).

I think Enterprise was the best in Seasons 3 and 4, the first two were ok.

New to this discussion, but also a big Trek fan. I personally am looking forward to this movie. Maybe they need to shake a few things up. Just wish I knew some fellow Trek fans to see it with when it comes out.

Sure thing. I will not hesitate to criticize were it's due, especially after dropping $100+ on it!

FYI - I've been watching Star Trek right from the very first episode aired on NBC. (Channel 4 in NY). I watched The Man Trap on our 19" Zenith B&W. I don't think I saw TOS in color until many years later in reruns.

My parents would let me stay up 30 minutes past my bedtime. (One-hour dramas would start on the half-hour back then. Network prime-time began at 730, instead of 8 in those days.)

I guess I've been a fan for over 40 years. Holy crap!

BTW, where have you read reviews of the HD-DVD, as it hasn't been released yet?

When I was 5 back in 1967 my dad bought a $1000.00 RCA stereo/ record player /console tv. The only reason why he bought it ,is because the Salesman said he could have it home and installed by the time STar Trek aired in Color . He was true to his word and we all got to see Star Trek in living color that night. We also loved watching Lost in Space in color when it first aired too. IN fact we all had head aches from watching it so close up. Now my dad , who is now 68, won't even go high def. He thinks his 1995 Magnavox color /stereo tv is good enough . He has a high def dvr 622 that I bought him but no high def tv. I guess with age comes techonophobia or just plain cheapness.

... DS9 went on too long but was ended on a good note with the founders wars but it was dead in the water in the middle and went nowhere. ....

Au contraire! I loved DS9! And bringing on that sweet young thing (I forget the character's name) at the end certainly seemed to promise much for the future. But I hated losing Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrell).

I wish they'd kept it going.

The one I really miss is Space Above and Beyond.

Pre-release copies go to some folks. Read an initial review of it here:

My Two Cents - Archived Posts (11/14/07 - 11/9/07)
I wonder why he expected to be blown away compared to the HD broadcasts? The improvement, if any, would only be incremental from a proper-bandwidth HD broadcast.

I am not expecting PQ any better than a typical HD broadcast. What I am most looking forward to is the re-recorded soundtrack, and CGI effects. The HD picture, unless there is something seriously wrong, should suit me just fine. (It will be weird watching HD in 4:3 aspect ratio, tho.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts