NFL 2012-13 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not defending the refs, but defending the hysteria. You specifically mention the DPI on Shields, I show you a picture showing... imagine that... DPI on Sam Shields... and so you gloss over that and instead I get called names.

In real time if they call that dual possession, there's no recourse, it can't be challenged. If they think that through the act of the catch both players have the ball then at any point it's considered dual possession and it's in the end zone the play is over and it's a touchdown. It's not even a reviewable play even though it's a score and possible change of possession.

Again, don't be part of the mob. If fans didn't want to just wallow in outrage they'd be picketing their local stadiums or something to try and put pressure on the owners, that's where concessions will come from, and no matter what Goodell comes up with in negotiations the owners are the ones that have to approve it. This is all about their pocketbooks, and Goodell is working for them in this effort.

It's not about defending Goodell, it's about not becoming part of the stupid mess and objectively looking at things.

Ok, but you said nothing about the referees.

What do you think of the quality of refereeing currently going on in NFL games the past 3 weeks?

I think they've done a pretty poor job over the last 3 weeks, and before the 2nd half of the games yesterday looked to be putting up more of a week 1 performance than a week 2, which was much worse. The key this week was to put together more of what we saw week 1 where it really wasn't too bad. Some administrative problems here and there, but it was passable. Week 2 was awful, and week 3, well we all know how that went.

There's just so much stupid though, and that's what I have a low tolerance for. Comparing the NFL to the WWE. Complaining about the offensive pass interference on a hail mary (when is the last time REAL refs have called that), complaining about the DPI on Shields when there was clear DPI (the announcers never even called out his hand, which was full of jersey for at least 10 yards... i say at least 10 yards because that's the entire duration of the replay). The outrage on that play should be on Rice not being called for OPI, but the ref was probably staring right at that hand full of jersey and not the catch. The final play... Packers fans should be equally upset with the players who didn't knock the ball down, and instead went for the pick - a no-no on hail marys. They probably blame the replacement refs for the 9 sacks allowed too.

Instead, we have the mob, you have entire pages of twitter feeds advocating for the death of Goodell and the Refs, etc. It's all stupid.

meStevo said:
I'm not defending the refs, but defending the hysteria. You specifically mention the DPI on Shields, I show you a picture showing... imagine that... DPI on Sam Shields... and so you gloss over that and instead I get called names.

In real time if they call that dual possession, there's no recourse, it can't be challenged. If they think that through the act of the catch both players have the ball then at any point it's considered dual possession and it's in the end zone the play is over and it's a touchdown. It's not even a reviewable play even though it's a score and possible change of possession.

Again, don't be part of the mob. If fans didn't want to just wallow in outrage they'd be picketing their local stadiums or something to try and put pressure on the owners, that's where concessions will come from, and no matter what Goodell comes up with in negotiations the owners are the ones that have to approve it. This is all about their pocketbooks, and Goodell is working for them in this effort.

It's not about defending Goodell, it's about not becoming part of the stupid mess and objectively looking at things.

It was OPI not DPI, Shields hand went on the jersey after Rice put his hands in Shields shoulder and on his helmet. Your "evidence" was bull.

The referee didn't know the RTQB rule, called a low hit outside the pocket, which is allowed outside the pocket. What a joke. Please defend that.

"They" didn't call anything, one ref signaled touchdown the other signaled interception.

Let me know how you feel when the Chiefs get screwed out of a game, how would you of liked the game to end on the fumble the scabs originally called a TD? Would of sucked, ain't? How would you like to invest almost 4 hours in a game Sunday night and have refs call phantom call on after another that keeps a team in a game, because they are intimidated by a crowd? They can't even get a missed field goal correct.

These guys can't keep up with the pace of the game, it's just faster than they can grasp. They don't know the rules.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
It was OPI not DPI, Shields hand went on the jersey after Rice put his hands in Shields shoulder and on his helmet. Your "evidence" was bull.

The referee didn't know the RTQB rule, called a low hit outside the pocket, which is allowed outside the pocket. What a joke. Please defend that.

"They" didn't call anything, one ref signaled touchdown the other signaled interception.

Let me know how you feel when the Chiefs get f**ked out of a game, how would you of liked the game to end on the fumble the scabs originally called a TD? Would of sucked, ain't? How would you like to invest almost 4 hours in a game Sunday night and have refs call phantom call on after another that keeps a team in a game, because they are intimidated by a crowd? They can't even get a missed field goal correct.

These guys can't keep up with the pace of the game, it's just faster than they can grasp. They don't know the rules.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Find a replay and watch it, Shields has a fistful of jersey for the entire duration of the replay, and is pulling down on it in the image I posted. This particular shot I posted is against a white shirt and easier to see. You obviously haven't watched this in a replay.

"They" called dual posession, which is why the game ended, and a touchdown was ruled. How can you argue that nothing was called at all? 2 refs called it, they conferred and made 1 call.

If the refs messed up some calls and my THEN my defense then gave up 70 yards in a clean drive to lose the game, I'd have as much misplaced anger as Chargers fans who got screwed by Hochuli and then allowed Denver to score anyways. Rational thought has to be involved in the process, and there's a shortage of that at the moment.

Find a replay and watch it, Shields has a fistful of jersey for the entire duration of the replay, and is pulling down on it in the image I posted. This particular shot I posted is against a white shirt and easier to see. You obviously haven't watched this in a replay.

"They" called dual posession, which is why the game ended, and a touchdown was ruled. How can you argue that nothing was called at all? 2 refs called it, they conferred and made 1 call.

If the refs messed up some calls and my THEN my defense then gave up 70 yards in a clean drive to lose the game, I'd have as much misplaced anger as Chargers fans who got screwed by Hochuli and then allowed Denver to score anyways. Rational thought has to be involved in the process, and there's a shortage of that at the moment.

OK, Refute this. DPI? I think not.

Attachments

• A3nC4kfCQAI4gIC.jpg
    A3nC4kfCQAI4gIC.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 60
I think they've done a pretty poor job over the last 3 weeks, and before the 2nd half of the games yesterday looked to be putting up more of a week 1 performance than a week 2, which was much worse. The key this week was to put together more of what we saw week 1 where it really wasn't too bad. Some administrative problems here and there, but it was passable. Week 2 was awful, and week 3, well we all know how that went.

There's just so much stupid though, and that's what I have a low tolerance for. Comparing the NFL to the WWE. Complaining about the offensive pass interference on a hail mary (when is the last time REAL refs have called that), complaining about the DPI on Shields when there was clear DPI (the announcers never even called out his hand, which was full of jersey for at least 10 yards... i say at least 10 yards because that's the entire duration of the replay). The outrage on that play should be on Rice not being called for OPI, but the ref was probably staring right at that hand full of jersey and not the catch. The final play... Packers fans should be equally upset with the players who didn't knock the ball down, and instead went for the pick - a no-no on hail marys. They probably blame the replacement refs for the 9 sacks allowed too.

Instead, we have the mob, you have entire pages of twitter feeds advocating for the death of Goodell and the Refs, etc. It's all stupid.

It's not just 1 game rage mentality and you know it. It's been a MULTITUDE of errors, and these primetime games the past two weeks have only shown to the masses what ineptitude and incompetence has been permeating ALL the games. Thus the massive outrage, which is probably justified. (Not death threats of course, but calls to action.)

These refs (and their decisions) have definitely affected the integrity of the game.

Last edited:
Now comes word that NFL commissioner is going to "release a statement".

The ONLY statement I want to hear is that there is a settlement....PERIOD!

I ALSO heard that the commissioner CAN 'reverse the outcome' base on some never used rule as a last resort.

Roger Goodell is bearing the brunt of the criticism because he is the face of the NFL right now,whether fair or not. Maybe what Goodell should do is issue an ultimatum(it doesn't have to be public,just privately) to the owners,either settle the Ref lockout now,or he'll resign as commissioner. I'd like to see the owners scramble to replace Goodell under such adverse circumstances. Roger Goodell doesn't need this crap if this is truly on the owners. The owners are throwing Goodell under the bus & make him both the fall guy & villain.

guys you've been debating this topic very well. please don't start the name calling. i do understand the emotions but please make the effort to debate without the name calling towards our fellow members. thanks guys.

oh and one more thing, who ever again compares a commissioner of a game to a murdering political dictator WILL get a vacation. its a ridiculous exaggeration of a comparison to make and HIGHLY offensive. consider THIS post as the final warning on that issue. i ask this post not be quoted as it will be deleted.

Now comes word that NFL commissioner is going to "release a statement".

The ONLY statement I want to hear is that there is a settlement....PERIOD!

I ALSO heard that the commissioner CAN 'reverse the outcome' base on some never used rule as a last resort.

He had better not reverse the "win/loss" from last night, that would just muddy the already murky waters even more..........

What's done is done.

So OPI negates DPI? You're missing the point, since I wasn't disputing that could have been called.

Look at Shields left hand pulling DOWN on his jersey.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The POINT is DPI WAS called!!! You asked for a replay of the call that WAS made. I gave it to you. The replay shows what was called. NOT what you think should have been called.

Your argument is glossing over the the real issue from last night.

Dual possession?? Bad call. Horrendous call. Jennings had two hands on it, brought it to his chest, landed with the ball in his possession. Tate clearly did not have two hands (if any at all) in there until after Jennings had possession and was on the ground. No indisputable evidence to rule dual possession. In fact, the replay shows Tate's right hand clearly outside of his body as both players fell to the ground with Jennings having control of the ball.

Look, I'm not just a Packer fan complaining about losing the game. IF Tate had caught the ball and Jennings fought with him on the ground for possession then it's Tate's catch and TD. Game over, I could live with that. It didn't happen that way.

Screwed in Seattle

At least we now know where the Russian judge found a new job.

The POINT is DPI WAS called!!! You asked for a replay of the call that WAS made. I gave it to you. The replay shows what was called. NOT what you think should have been called.

Your argument is glossing over the the real issue from last night.

Dual possession?? Bad call. Horrendous call. Jennings had two hands on it, brought it to his chest, landed with the ball in his possession. Tate clearly did not have two hands (if any at all) in there until after Jennings had possession and was on the ground. No indisputable evidence to rule dual possession. In fact, the replay shows Tate's right hand clearly outside of his body as both players fell to the ground with Jennings having control of the ball.

Look, I'm not just a Packer fan complaining about losing the game. IF Tate had caught the ball and Jennings fought with him on the ground for possession then it's Tate's catch and TD. Game over, I could live with that. It didn't happen that way.

Screwed in Seattle

At least we now know where the Russian judge found a new job.

Read my post again. I am not disputing OPI should have been called, but there was DPI, and because of the vantage point of the ref (pretty sure he was to the back of Rice, along that sideline) DPI was called. Are you saying pulling down on Rice's jersey isn't DPI?

I am convinced some of these crews don't know what illegal contact is.

So again to my previous point, look at a replay, and tell me when he actually grabbed the jersey, you will find - like I did - that for the entire duration of the reply - 10+ yards - he has a hold of his jersey. Not only was the non-OPI a bad call, but also not already calling illegal contact was bad as well.

In defense of the refs, what straight male with a heartbeat can keep their mind on officiating the game without being distracted. Of course, from what we've the seen the past three weekends...some of these refs must still have their minds on those lingerie football games. ;)
Good call riff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts