NFL Network Dispute? -- Resolved

Cool, thanks exactly what I was looking for. So no more AEP I take it?

So for less than two and a half bucks more per month I get MSG, MSG Plus, SNY, YES, NFL Network, WGN America.

Really puts things into perspective.

Attachments

• dtv.png
    dtv.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 259

So for less than two and a half bucks more per month I get MSG, MSG Plus, SNY, YES, NFL Network, WGN America.

From what I understand AEP is a grandfathered package.

You can save another $5 on HD extra if remove the pack online, and a promo should pop up Free for 3 months.
As long as that still works.
I didn't pay for HD extra for 3 years.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: pattykay

It's important to understand what I said in my post however, and what I have said long before now. I am not saying you save alot with DISH if you have the Hopper, That isn't where DISH saves you money over everyone else. If you use the (still very good) non whole home VIP receivers, as compared to using any Directv receivers you will save alot, easy to document which I have in the past, and in the $20 +/- every month range. I could save even more it I wanted to with even less expensive equipment but still DVR's.

By the way there are some things that are add ons that may cost less with DISH and to be fair may with Directv such as HBO. Anyone could have HBO for just $10 a month with DISH, another $7 savings over Directv. If you have that It does not have an expiration. Trying to be fair, if that offer is not still available you still save $2 over Directv for HBO. So I am saving $26 every month over Directv. So from my perspective DISH can keep negotiating as they have been I'm saving alot.

Last edited:
Your saving money, but have an inferior product. If it works for you, and u don't mind loosing channels from time to time, and don't need the extra tuners for recording, or the whole home dvr, that's great.
Some of us drive a Caddy, others a Fiesta. I choose the Caddy.

Reactions: reddice
Your saving money, but have an inferior product. If it works for you, and u don't mind loosing channels from time to time, and don't need the extra tuners for recording, or the whole home dvr, that's great.
Some of us drive a Caddy, others a Fiesta. I choose the Caddy.

Yes, that's about what my point is. DISH gives me and others like you a choice that no one else does. For me $26 every month, over $300 a year is a big deal. I don't need whole home, I don't think anyone "Needs" it. Wanting it is a different thing and I don't want to pay that much more to watch the same programming. The Hopper overall is a great receiver and big step forward but at a cost. VIP Inferior? Honestly and you can look back to many older posts of mine reliability is a reason I keep the VIP receivers. No missed recordings, manual tuning is easy, I set when I want to have it update, etc etc. To me it isn't inferior at all, just not whole home and not as expensive. It's still, to this day as fast or more so as the Directv receivers and much faster than the Charter receivers I have used in Eastern Ct.
I have been with DISH just about since their begining. ironically I save more in recent years over other providers than at any other time.

Last edited:
It's important to understand what I said in my post however, and what I have said long before now. I am not saying you save alot with DISH if you have the Hopper, That isn't where DISH saves you money over everyone else. If you use the (still very good) non whole home VIP receivers, as compared to using any Directv receivers you will save alot, easy to document which I have in the past, and in the $20 +/- every month range. I could save even more it I wanted to with even less expensive equipment but still DVR's.

By the way there are some things that are add ons that may cost less with DISH and to be fair may with Directv such as HBO. Anyone could have HBO for just $10 a month with DISH, another $7 savings over Directv. If you have that It does not have an expiration. Trying to be fair, if that offer is not still available you still save $2 over Directv for HBO. So I am saving $26 every month over Directv. So from my perspective DISH can keep negotiating as they have been I'm saving alot.

But you're not comparing apples to apples. Directv only has whole home set ups so it would make sense to compare genie to hopper (and yes genie still a couple bucks higher). The avg new customer has no idea something other than hopper is an option. So, to be fair one must compare whole home to whole home (much like it's only fair to quote a promotion for hbo on dish vs regular cost on Directv).

Reactions: Troch77
But you're not comparing apples to apples. Directv only has whole home set ups so it would make sense to compare genie to hopper (and yes genie still a couple bucks higher). The avg new customer has no idea something other than hopper is an option. So, to be fair one must compare whole home to whole home (much like it's only fair to quote a promotion for hbo on dish vs regular cost on Directv).

No sir on two counts. First that just exemplifies my point, DISH gives you a choice, in my case of saving alot over Directv. I can tell you till recently Directv had non Genie receivers on their site to choose from, the cost was the same as whole home. The price I get there now is the same as it was if I was to choose their non whole home receivers in the past.
Are you saying you want me to ignore that DISH saves me $26 because Directv has no way to compete to do that?
Second, and installers here have posted this, there are MANY new installs of VIP receivers still everyday. VIP receivers make up the biggest percentage of receivers DISH users have. All those people are or can be saving similar to what I am over other providers. If the VIP receivers were no good or even sub par I would pay more for a better receiver. They are still great receivers.

Reactions: pattykay
No sir on two counts. First that just exemplifies my point, DISH gives you a choice, in my case of saving alot over Directv. I can tell you till recently Directv had non Genie receivers on their site to choose from, the cost was the same as whole home. The price I get there now is the same as it was if I was to choose their non whole home receivers in the past.
Are you saying you want me to ignore that DISH saves me $26 because Directv has no way to compete to do that?
Second, and installers here have posted this, there are MANY new installs of VIP receivers still everyday. VIP receivers make up the biggest percentage of receivers DISH users have. All those people are or can be saving similar to what I am over other providers. If the VIP receivers were no good or even sub par I would pay more for a better receiver. They are still great receivers.

Especially with the external hard drive

So any guesses on how long this goes on? This is really different than any disputes Dish has had before, no SOB story videos on loop, no "call now and demand this back!"

The Red Zone was an ingenious way of partially neutering the advantage that Sunday Ticket gave DirecTV. My wife calls it the ADD channel because it jerks around like crazy. Personally, as a fantasy football player, I loved the channel. I hope it comes back. Barring that, I hope DirecTV finally expands the availability of streaming Sunday Ticket so I could watch it through my XBox One. Right now, they only allow it for a handful of university and apartment dwellers who can't put a dish up to get the service. I too am locked in and hope this is just an outage that lasts for a few weeks in the offseason (similar to Tribune since I lost WPIX). It doesn't hurt as much during rerun season, although I am missing ALL Mets games now.. Grr.....
I'm with ya on that. I have the superstation pack just so i can watch the 30 or so games on WPIX.....This spat with the NFL may be the last straw. If the Red Zone does not come back, I am switch off pay tv altogether and buy three streamsmart boxes......BTW, the NFL does not permit US viewers to access games on line unless they meet certain nearly impossible to achieve criteria

Reactions: reddice
I am considering making the move to Direct but the whole home genie crap just doesnt do it for me. 5 tuners is not enough for me with 7 tvs and 2 kids. Nicktoons and Disney are taking up 3 tuners by themselves in my house. They did offer me a sweet deal but when we got to the equipment, the numbers went through the roof. I was willing to go with 9 tuners (1 whole home genie(5 tuners) and 2 HD DVRs (4 tuners) but when the rep said "that will be $326" I said screw it. The NFL doesnt need Dish, heck they are even telling people find a new provider. Put the NFL network and Red Zone in a sports package and be done with it. I would pay 10 bucks a month for it.

Literally, that is half of the dispute. NFL wants their channels on all packages, not a sports package. They want subsidized. Dish says, "You cant have a high cost sports channel with a small offering, and demand everyone pay". ESPN has Disney backing them. oh and the power of Walt.

Reactions: satjay