NFL Network Dispute? -- Resolved

Literally, that is half of the dispute. NFL wants their channels on all packages, not a sports package. They want subsidized. Dish says, "You cant have a high cost sports channel with a small offering, and demand everyone pay". ESPN has Disney backing them. oh and the power of Walt.
How do you know what NFL wants?
Of course they want their channel in front of as many viewers as possible, that's common sense.
But what I can't stand is people that act like they are sitting at the round table.

Only statement I've heard is,,

"If you want NFL network, switch providers."
That was a direct quote from NFL.
Which tells me they don't give a crap what Dish desides.

People will switch to get what they want. Period.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

So, here in Indy, Andrew Luck is now the highest paid NFL player in history. Undeserved, IMO. But an example of how the NFL is spending itself into oblivion...and making us all eventually pay for it.
Unless you are a Directv ST subscriber, it's not costing you much of anything when it comes to TV providers.
Your $1.40 a month isn't catastrophic amount for NFL Network.
And the guy that wants Red Zone is paying $13 extra.
BOTH of which are peanuts.
The people that are paying for NFL football are the Ticket holders, Directv, and Advertisers .

Not Dish network subscribers pathetic $228 million dollar a year contribution.

The 3 Million ST subscriber from Directv alone pay a Minimum Estimated $900 million annually, and that's not considering bars restaurants that pay a Minimum of $2500 a year.

And right now neither of the channels are even available on Dish, so you aren't paying anything.

You should get your $1.40 per month back from Charles.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Reactions: dishcomm
Makes sense. NFL Network is the only channel that airs NFL games, and NLFST is the only TV revenue source for the NFL.

Makes sense. NFL Network is the only channel that airs NFL games, and NLFST is the only TV revenue source for the NFL.
Well CBS, NBC,and FOX air NFL games too.
But tell me what your actually paying for those locally.
Virtually nothing if you have an OTA antenna.
And retransmission charges, we'll never know that cost.

But I can tell you the big money deals aren't coming from Dish Network subscribers paying for the NFL Network, and Red Zone.

What Dish pays out is about 2 top NFL Stars payroll.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Well CBS, NBC,and FOX air NFL games too.
But tell me what your actually paying for those locally.
Virtually nothing if you have an OTA antenna.
And retransmission charges, we'll never know that cost.

But I can tell you the big money deals aren't coming from Dish Network subscribers paying for the NFL Network, and Red Zone.

What Dish pays out is about 2 top NFL Stars payroll.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
We should be getting darn close to an amount for locals/retransmission. My local Cable Suddenlink charges over $8 in retrans fees(shown on bill) alone. Probably a good reason why im no longer receiving KFOR on Dish... At that rate Suddenlink can give you an antenna for free make you sign a 1yr agreement and still profit from the antenna if your close enough to receive a good signal from the station. At some point its gonna break badly for these broadcasters.

Reactions: Tampa8

Due to oligopolic ownership, we are all paying for the big money deals, whether we subscribe to sports channels or not.

The conglomerates that own ESPN, NBC and FOX, namely Disney, Comcast/NBCUniversal, and News Corp. own not only the respective broadcast networks, but dozens of non-sports cable channels as well. Any costs associated with the multi-billion-dollar TV sports contracts that don't get recuperated from the channels that air the games, will be distributed to the other non-sports channels that the conglomerate owns. So even if we don't subscribe to any sports channels, we are still paying for them to some degree in our cable or satellite bill.

Reactions: ohioankev and AZ.
Your saving money, but have an inferior product. If it works for you, and u don't mind loosing channels from time to time, and don't need the extra tuners for recording, or the whole home dvr, that's great.
Some of us drive a Caddy, others a Fiesta. I choose the Caddy.

Anytime I loose channels, I just tighten them. However, if I lose channels, that is a different story.

no you pay the nfl payroll when you buy tickets to an nfl game. That $200 nosebleed seat this year will pay Andrew luck's salary.

Reactions: Troch77
Due to oligopolic ownership, we are all paying for the big money deals, whether we subscribe to sports channels or not.

The conglomerates that own ESPN, NBC and FOX, namely Disney, Comcast/NBCUniversal, and News Corp. own not only the respective broadcast networks, but dozens of non-sports cable channels as well. Any costs associated with the multi-billion-dollar TV sports contracts that don't get recuperated from the channels that air the games, will be distributed to the other non-sports channels that the conglomerate owns. So even if we don't subscribe to any sports channels, we are still paying for them to some degree in our cable or satellite bill.
Again, Dish customers are a fraction of this group, and we are talking about NFL,
So don't try to turn that now into all sports.
That was not the claim.

And I also don't believe your claim that sports costs are spread across the contracts.

First off Sports is probably the only self sufficient source of entertainment on TV.
If anything it's the opposite of your claim.
Sports is what keeps the lights on.
Sports sells and sells big.

Apparently you've never paid for Seats at a Cowboys/ Eagles game.

$1200 is "Okay" seating for 4 people.
And then there is food and drinks.
These games most times sell out.

Sports pricing doesn't stop people.
And Dish is only hurting themselves if they think taking it away is the answer.
They are not going to beat down a huge Industry like the NFL with their 13.8 total customers.
Especially when most of them Like sports.
They will just go where the can get what they want.
And Charlie will have to fudge more numbers to his stock holders to make it look like he still has 13.8 m

Sorry, but I dont think your business is thriving when you are losing a $60 minimum per month subscriber to a $20 per month the division of your company, while not netting a single new customer.

If you want to talk about spreading the costs, Every Dish Satellite TV subscriber is paying for this SlingTV Division so 700,000 customers can pay $20 a month.

Satellite Money paid for this.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Literally, that is half of the dispute. NFL wants their channels on all packages, not a sports package. They want subsidized. Dish says, "You cant have a high cost sports channel with a small offering, and demand everyone pay".
When did NFL Network request to be included in Welcome Pack?

Your saving money, but have an inferior product. If it works for you, and u don't mind loosing channels from time to time, and don't need the extra tuners for recording, or the whole home dvr, that's great.
I have a dual tuner 722k (without a massive fee attached). I have a 2 GB external hard drive which gives me an absurd amount of storage space. The additional OTA tuner gives me up to 4 tuners to record from. It isn't the best out there, but it is far from inferior.
Some of us drive a Caddy, others a Fiesta. I choose the Caddy.
And Dish Network is great because it allows their subs to choose. You can have the best receiver on the market or you can have one of the best receivers on the market and save money. If a consumer wants to pay for a Cadillac, by all means, go for it. But that doesn't mean you can't get a great value and reliability by buying a car that is 1/6 the price.

I have a dual tuner 722k (without a massive fee attached). I have a 2 GB external hard drive which gives me an absurd amount of storage space. The additional OTA tuner gives me up to 4 tuners to record from. It isn't the best out there, but it is far from inferior.

Glad it's working for you. If your somewhat tech savy, and live where you can get OTA (I don't), then yes, your setup is pretty slick, and you can save some $$$. But for an average Joe, that's tough to setup. I have a hard enough time just getting the wife to understand inputs on a T.V.
Part of the inferior product, ( and the reason I left Dish), is all of their disputes. I left when they fought with AMC, and took away all of the NY RSN's, with of course, no compensation for me. The disputes with Dish are ridiculous.

Reactions: reddice and anex80
Glad it's working for you. If your somewhat tech savy, and live where you can get OTA (I don't), then yes, your setup is pretty slick, and you can save some $$$. But for an average Joe, that's tough to setup. I have a hard enough time just getting the wife to understand inputs on a T.V.
Which also makes the 722k awesome is the learning remote. We use that remote to control everything but the Roku. For antiquated technology, it is still better than some of the new stuff cable comes out with. Much better.
Part of the inferior product, ( and the reason I left Dish), is all of their disputes. I left when they fought with AMC, and took away all of the NY RSN's, with of course, no compensation for me. The disputes with Dish are ridiculous.
They aren't ridiculous. The loss of NY RSN's would certainly hurt NY subs, but most people aren't NY subs. Most of the disputes are short and amount to very little, and Dish has been generous with comping people that lost channels, even just very temporarily. People received free Rokus with the temporary AMC drop.

If Dish dropped NBCSN, I'd have to drop Dish. I'd understand their position, but it is one of the biggest reasons I pay for Sat in the first place. I just don't take these things as personally as some seem to, as if Ergen went to their house to kick their dog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts